Wedding rings

Caporegime
We got ours at
Glamira? ( I think ) It looked like an awful online retailer (probably is) you customise it/them all online then you get them sent, free resize, complete ability to refund even after heavy customization.
It worked out really fine. I dunno if it's a rip off.....

The only reason we went that route is because there's literally FA up here apart from an horrifically overpriced small town jewellers.

My ring ended up costing more, lolz, because of the size and weight of the gold.

We started out at 40000kr but I managed to talk sense into her and we put half the money towards a decent honeymoon trip in some 4 and 5 star hotels instead.

The rings are fine she's super happy, (all that matters tbh) the whole process was extremely problem free and a fastish turn around couple of weeks.

It's the first ring I've ever had, probably the last. I'm not a jewelry person. Nor is she tbh.

The engagement ring was naff because of the problem I described earlier... But it did the job. So... Worth the 99p ( jk)

Pretty sure it comes in a .co.uk too

Last edited:
Soldato
Being brutally honest, it's only going to matter whether the person receiving an engagement ring things the monetary value is important to them, and if they want to show it off. (Or possibly.. what their mother thinks lol).

I personally wished I had spent more on the engagement ring.

Associate
About to enter the potential minefield of buying a wedding ring and wondered if anyone knows of good highstreet stores or online places to buy from? I've done some research on diamonds so think I pretty much know the quality I want etc but is there anything else to consider? If how much I'm looking to spend plays any factor, I'm thinking around 2k as it looks like that's about average.

I got married recently , I’d advise you to go to the Birmingham jewellery quarter. Best bang for buck so to speak will be found there.

Be prepared to pay more for men’s wedding rings than a woman’s, due to there being more metal weight.

I paid £900 for a platinum/ 18ct gold ring and my misses ring was £300 for a 18ct gold ring .

I know of a good shop in Birmingham jewellery quarter if you need any recommendations.

All the best

Soldato
Why would you have diamonds on a wedding ring?

I got a £700 or so palladium ring and my wife got a £350 white gold one.. unfortunately I've put on some weight since (not loads but enough that the ring is uncomfortable when my hands get hot) so I changed my ring to one I found on Amazon for £3.49. Still shows that I'm married and that.

Caporegime
Spend £1700 on gold bullion (approx a 1oz britannia?) & £300 with a jewelry maker to melt it down & make it into a ring.

Better value :D

Isn't that a fair bit more gold than needed though? Also, I think OP maybe after an engagement ring here, like that's 28 grams but engagement rings are about 4 grams AFAIK and the diamond is the most expensive part.

I think it's a good idea though, also perhaps getting a lab-grown diamond instead of a mined one as they're cheaper but can be the same quality.

About to enter the potential minefield of buying a wedding ring and wondered if anyone knows of good highstreet stores or online places to buy from? I've done some research on diamonds so think I pretty much know the quality I want etc but is there anything else to consider? If how much I'm looking to spend plays any factor, I'm thinking around 2k as it looks like that's about average.

I think you may have muddled things here as by mentioning diamonds it seems you mean engagement rings rather than wedding rings which are just basic gold bands and don't need to cost £2000.

Associate
I got the wife’s engagement ring from a bespoke jewellers. It cost a bit more than some high street stores here (there are stores to cater for all ends of the market), but I got exactly what I wanted.

We went back to the store to choose wedding rings.

It’s something hopefully you will only do once, take your time and get something you have put thought and love into. Money is secondary.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
We all know the brides are mad about the size of the rock. If she says she isn’t, she’s being modest. If you don’t give her a huge rock, she will fall down the pecking order amongst the other clucking hens and will be banished from the group. Her future depends on you giving her a huge rock right now.

Therefore I recommend a ring pop. She will be the envy of all her peers, you will be showered in clunge, and you’ll both have something convenient to suck on should the notion overcome you.

nDe2MSZ.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm still not 100% sure if the OP is using the right terminology so...

Engagement ring = the ring with a 'jewel' in that typically gets provided at a proposal. This is the shiny 'expensive' one.
Wedding band = the relatively plain ring that gets put on at the wedding ceremony. This is the less expensive one.

^timings are just ye olde tradition, anything goes really. I proposed with an old family ring then got the actual engagement ring fitted later.

If you're looking at just getting a replacement wedding band, the absolute ideal is that it would aesthetically match the engagement ring and sit flush against it. But it doesn't really matter.

My wife's wedding band was about 20th the price of the ring. Doesn't sit 100% flush and it was initially shinier than the matte engagement ring. But over time, not long, the shine has gone and they look like they were part of the same set. So no need to go turbo on the price of the wedding band... or the engagement ring, really. Just go with what works for you.

Man of Honour
I wanted to get a cheap titanium wedding ring for under £50. This idea was vetoed and now I have an expensive, soft, white gold wedding ring that gets scratched and scuffed by anything stronger than a stern look.
I got a £30 tungsten carbide ring for exactly that reason. 51 weeks later and it still looks like it did when I first put it on.

Soldato
I got a £30 tungsten carbide ring for exactly that reason. 51 weeks later and it still looks like it did when I first put it on.
I wanted to get a cheap titanium wedding ring for under £50. This idea was vetoed and now I have an expensive, soft, white gold wedding ring that gets scratched and scuffed by anything stronger than a stern look.
The softer stuff is better. If you bust your finger wearing an unbreakable material you will lose your finger.

Permabanned
Kinnell just take her travelling for 6 months she will love you more than a wedding day catered around everyone else

Man up

I'm taking my lass sightseeing all around the common areas of North Wales fit reet in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom