Weight loss target: -3.5 stone in 5 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
OP
Believe me I want you to succeed, just seems silly to me you're embarking on the hardest way to lose the pounds. But good luck regardless.
That's because I'm a dick :p Once I've got a bee in my bonnet someone is getting stung. Or... however that phrase goes.

No, seriously, I appreciate that I'm not doing this to best practice standards. I'm doing a month of ADF because I want to put myself through that pain. I want to be a dick to myself. For gits and shiggles.

After this month is up I will be more open to suggestions. And hopefully I'll have lost a stone in that first month, like I did last time.

Caporegime
OP
Strange. Don't ever expect it to be smooth sailing.
Well I'm a couple years older but apart from that I'm expecting the same result. ~1 stone loss in the first month. Of which maybe most of that is water weight? I found the losses in the second month (trying to get below 11.5 stone) to be much harder going. This time I'm starting from 14.5 not 12.5 but I'm still hoping for 1 stone in the first month.

We'll see. Three more weeks to go!

Man of Honour
11 stone for 5'9 is a good weight, given that I have very little muscle mass making up that figure. I don't particularly want to be buff but I would like to be agile/spritely.

Why hang about...? I need to get it off for summer so I don't feel so much like a human slug.

The reason to "hang about" is that your chance of lasting success is far higher.

You might, with a lot of willpower, suffer through a harsh calorie deficit for a limited period of time and lose weight quickly. You'll feel worse and be weaker and when it's ended you will probably return to eating your normal diet. If you do so, you will gain excess fat and probably soon end up fatter than you were before. That's what often happens with dieting.

If, on the other hand, you change your lifestyle to something healthier that doesn't make you suffer, something you don't have to endure, you are much more likely to make it into a new habit and thus stick with it. You'll lose weight more slowly, but you'll feel much better doing it and you're much more likely to avoid putting it back on.

I got rid of 22Kg very easily that way. All I did was reduce my intake of sugar and fat and generally eat less unhealthily, a bit at a time in steps that didn't bother me. A bit less sugar in coffee, a bit at a time as I became used to the changed taste until I had no sugar in my coffee. Sugary pop to diet pop to flavoured water. Bread to wholegrain rice (which tastes better, too). Not eating anything with more than 5% saturated fat...then 4%...then 3%. Just a bit at a time, changes that weren't something I was to endure for a limited time, with enough time between changes to established the new thing as a habit, my new normal. I'm not sure how long it took. Months, certainly. Six months? Eight months? Ten months? Doesn't matter.

Couple of years later and I'm still 27Kg below my high weight point. With hardly any effort and no suffering for it.

EDIT: One thing I found out that's not obvious is to ensure you drink enough. Apparently thirst and hunger are processed similarly enough in your brain for it to be quite possible to mistake one for the other, so you can mistake a need for water and a need for food and thus eat when you're actually a bit thirsty rather than a bit hungry. Since the food will contain water, eating will provide the water that was what you actually needed and thus work, but with a load of calories you didn't actually need.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just no......

Change your lifestyle/eating habits - short term meal replacement stuff is not the answer.
[..]

Huel is not a short term meal replacement. You could live the rest of your life on nothing but Huel and water. It's also a change in your eating habits, obviously. So "just no" to your "just no".

The main advantage of Huel in this context is that it's a very easy way to control your calorie intake while maintaining a healthy diet. You want a balanced meal with 250 calories? Huel. A balanced meal with 500 calories? Twice as much Huel. It makes it very simple.

I lived for a week on Huel and water and nothing else. I felt better for it physically, but felt a psychological need for solid food.

Caporegime
OP
Huel is not a short term meal replacement. You could live the rest of your life on nothing but Huel and water. It's also a change in your eating habits, obviously. So "just no" to your "just no".

The main advantage of Huel in this context is that it's a very easy way to control your calorie intake while maintaining a healthy diet. You want a balanced meal with 250 calories? Huel. A balanced meal with 500 calories? Twice as much Huel. It makes it very simple.

I lived for a week on Huel and water and nothing else. I felt better for it physically, but felt a psychological need for solid food.
I still want to eat for pleasure, not purely to provide energy and material to sustain my existence :p And for that I need variety of flavours and textures. A single powdered food diet is not on my list of things to do before I die, no matter how effective.

About the other point... I enjoy this suffering I am inflicting upon myself. So don't you worry about that, let me worry about blank.

Caporegime
OP
How much have you lost so far?
Not even completed two weeks yet; it's much, much, much too early to weigh myself. Weighing too often has a negative effect on my morale. Need to see tangible gains (losses) to stay motivated.

I told myself when I started I would only weigh myself once a month.

e: I should also add... as expected, feeling super grumpy most of the time, due to not eating. Also feeling incredibly tired a lot of the time.

I'm not advocating this as a good way for people to lose weight; it just happens to work for me, because I'm too simple to count calories and get it right :p

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
Not even completed two weeks yet; it's much, much, much too early to weigh myself. Weighing too often has a negative effect on my morale. Need to see tangible gains (losses) to stay motivated.

I told myself when I started I would only weigh myself once a month.

e: I should also add... as expected, feeling super grumpy most of the time, due to not eating. Also feeling incredibly tired a lot of the time.

I'm not advocating this as a good way for people to lose weight; it just happens to work for me, because I'm too simple to count calories and get it right :p

:o

Once a week first thing in the morning is more than adequate.

Caporegime
OP
Mini milestone tonight. Completed two weeks.

Played 60 mins of football on an empty stomach after 26 hours of fasting... that was fun :D Never wanted the game to end so much as I did tonight :p

e: Ooof, muscles ache like mad today. Like I'd done 30 seconds of cross-fit or something :p

Last edited:
Soldato
It's taken me 2 months to lose 8kg. Which doing a quick convert Google is telling me is: 1 stone, 3 lb and 10.1917 oz

And my diet was quite strict. Probably eating well under the 1500 calories range. (Probably more like 1200)

Swimming is great for burning calories.

Soldato
Keep it going lads, I'm a fad loser (weight loser!) I can run a loss program for 6 months, get a couple or more stone off then pile it all back on. Back into it again from the weekend just gone there as I managed to hit 20st 4lbs, Ive done the 5/2 etc before with good results but ultimately it gets awkward changing days etc because of away days etc so I'm going to go down the cut sugar to a minimum and be a little more active. I wont cut down food as I dont overeat normal foods but did become good mates with sugary foods for a while. I have been drinking much more water etc too, lets see how it goes. :)

Caporegime
OP
Hmm. Leg muscles continue to ache ever since Tuesday's football - this is not normal. Been told its lack of protein and body not being able to repair the muscles. Annoying but not life threatening. Diet must prevail ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom