Weight loss target: -3.5 stone in 5 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
For sure I'm not going to the gym (zero chance) or increasing my exercise levels much (probably).
even walking or brisk walking would aid in your fat loss. reducing your consumption will just make your body adjust to it so you need your body to be using it up.

and don't think of it as a diet- make it a permanent lifestyle change.. dieting is temporary after which you go back to doing what youu did before leading to weight creeping up

Commissario
I am doing OMAD and have lost almost 11 kilos since start of year.
Good on the loss but that's simply because you've reduced your daily calorie intake and are in a deficit, it's nothing to do with you eating one meal a day or whether you eat lots of small ones. The walking will help because you're using up more energy.

/edited for clarity

Don
Good on the loss but that's simply because you've reduced your daily calorie intake and are in a deficit, it's nothing to do with you eating one meal a day or whether you eat lots of small ones. The walking will help because you're using up more energy.

/edited for clarity

Listen to this man.

I went for a decent run this morning and now I have ~ 1000kcals on top of my daily BMR intake. That run has earnt me 2 or 3 "free" beers and a decent lunch without needing to deal with feeling hungry all day and I'll still be in a calorie deficit.

Calories in < calories out = weight loss, regardless of if you're eating 1 meal or 3 meals a day.

The OMAD plan (and others) just forces you into a calorie deficit and you don't learn how to break the bad habits of eating, so when you stop dieting you pile all the weight back on again.

Caporegime
OP
Listen to this man.
Yup I am listening :)

I'm planning on making myself miserable for a month doing "alternate day fasting", and then review. And discuss/debate doing that for another 4 months or changing tack slightly, but keeping to the original timeframe.

This project is as much to stick at something and see it through as it is to lose weight.

ADF does make you hellish miserable tho, lol. Grumpy too. I found that out last time ;) The advantage is that I don't need to count calories to know I'm in deficit. I can also feel the effects very readily. The first three meals I skipped were Tues/Weds, so the hunger pangs have well and truly kicked in right now.

So to sum up, this isn't necessarily about doing things the "right" way. It's about doing something I know I can do (actually for me it's minimal effort, starving myself is no effort at all, lol). The amount of willpower it takes for me to skip meals is surprisingly low, compared to the amount needed to go for a run. I'd say it's about 10x harder to make myself do exercise than to just stop eating.

Soldato
Low carb high fat diets can be better for fat loss, it works too as I've lost minimal muscle mass but lots of fat, usually when I've lost weight but still eaten carbs I've lost a lot of both

Any lean mass lost on a diet would be down to protein intake - studies have shown that when protein is matched between LCHF and moderate carb diets the difference in results is statistically insignificant. On a higher fat diet, typically more calories will come from protein.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe studies have shown that to be the case but there's also studies that show people typically burn more fat when in ketosis and lose less lean mass, that certainly happened for me, not that I was aiming for a strict keto diet but the side affect of me eating low carbs and more fat put me into ketosis

As I said, when I've lost weight previously but continued eating carbs I lost muscle too

Soldato
The simple solution is just eat healthily, cut out most processed, junk food and sugary foods / drinks. That with a regular walk in the morning and evening will see you steadily lose weight.

To begin with it will be hard to break bad habits but do it gradually and it will eventually work find. Extreme diets nearly always fail as it is very hard to keep them going and they have various negative side effects.

Soldato

/edited for clarity

While I agree that calorie restriction is part of it I think OMAD or any IF has the added benefit of insulin sensitivity being improved which may not happen if you eat more regularly.

To be clear I'm not saying OMAD is the best or a magic formula. It works for me and it's not just CICO.

Some science from one of the main medical professionals involved in fasting

https://idmprogram.com/fasting-regimens-part-6/

Caporegime
OP
Quoted for rubbishness. If you don’t count the calories, you have no way to know whether you’re in deficit or not.
I think it's unlikely (whilst not scientific) that halving my food intake would leave me with a calorie surplus. I'm not changing what I eat (apart from cutting out entirely snack food - so actually less than 1/2 of previous intake).

Otherwise I'd have been eating over twice as many calories as needed, and surely I'd be a whale by now if that was true?

e: I should also say this is not my first rodeo. I've done ADF before and lost 1 stone in the first month. The 2nd month I was sloppy and ate between meals, sabotaging myself.

But I'm going to assume that I must have been running a calorie deficit in the first month of fasting. I didn't count calories either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom