Weight loss target: -3.5 stone in 5 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I think it's unlikely (whilst not scientific) that halving my food intake would leave me with a calorie surplus. I'm not changing what I eat (apart from cutting out entirely snack food - so actually less than 1/2 of previous intake).

Otherwise I'd have been eating over twice as many calories as needed, and surely I'd be a whale by now if that was true?

e: I should also say this is not my first rodeo. I've done ADF before and lost 1 stone in the first month. The 2nd month I was sloppy and ate between meals, sabotaging myself.

But I'm going to assume that I must have been running a calorie deficit in the first month of fasting. I didn't count calories either.

I haven't counted calories either in 9 weeks. Just try and aim for macros.

Soldato
I've lost 3 stone just over 4 months, so it's perfectly doable and I didn't change what I've eating either, just cut down on snacking and exercise daily. You NEED to count calories though, I consider that vital to my success - the barcode scanner is an absolute godsend in MyFitnessPal - I received fitbit alta (not the HR one) and that helps with your stepss if you do a lot of walking - before that I was manually calculating it with via MFP but I overestimated the calories burnt, better to underdo it than overdo it imo.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
What kicked this all off anyhow? Let alone the rush to do so in a short time frame.
Somebody I know decided to go on a diet, I said I'd join them and we'd motivate each other. The next day they said they'd changed their mind, but I decided there was no reason for me to back out; I can do it so I will do it. There is no other reason. Just felt like doing it.

I'm an outcome-focused person not a journey-focused person, which is probably a character flaw I know. I don't much care for journeys, I just want to get somewhere/do something (the sooner the better). So the time-scale I set was a reflection of that. You might say I'm a bit of an idiot, and I might agree :p

Soldato
Maybe studies have shown that to be the case but there's also studies that show people typically burn more fat when in ketosis and lose less lean mass, that certainly happened for me, not that I was aiming for a strict keto diet but the side affect of me eating low carbs and more fat put me into ketosis

As I said, when I've lost weight previously but continued eating carbs I lost muscle too

Please cite these studies where keto is better when protein is matched in the control diet. There is absolutely no evidence that notable skeletal muscle loss occurs in any diet as long as calories are not restricted to starvation levels and sufficient protein is ingested. In fact most studies show keto induces greater LBM loss (although as said LBM =/= muscle). If a low carb diet indirectly led you to consuming more calories from protein via food choices, then that's good, but there's no direct physiological muscle-sparing mechanism related to the general consumption of carbs or fats in a hypocaloric state.

Suggest you read a summary looking over all the peer-reviewed research so far

Caporegime
OP
Just to give some indication of what I'm eating (it's not any particular diet..)

This morning had two Weetabix with about 15 currants on top (plus ss milk).

For lunch a 3cm cube of cheese, a handful of crisps (not many, ~10), a couple roasted Jerusalem artichokes, and a bowl of beetroot soup.

Now I won't eat anything at all (no snacks) until tomorrow's evening meal.

Don
Just to give some indication of what I'm eating (it's not any particular diet..)

For lunch a 3cm cube of cheese, a handful of crisps (not many, ~10), a couple roasted Jerusalem artichokes, and a bowl of beetroot soup.

That is no where near enough calories to intake over a 48-hour period. Alternate fasting might be an option, but you've barely consumed 500 calories today. You'll put your body in starvation mode. Where is the protein?! Your body wont burn fat, it will burn muscle with such a low calorie intake!

You need at least 1000kcals per day to meet your BMR. If you dont achieve that, your body WILL burn muscle before fat (it is a survival mechanism). At least add some chicken breast / eggs to your meal if you have another day like that.

V F

V F

Soldato
Somebody I know decided to go on a diet, I said I'd join them and we'd motivate each other. The next day they said they'd changed their mind, but I decided there was no reason for me to back out; I can do it so I will do it. There is no other reason. Just felt like doing it.

I'm an outcome-focused person not a journey-focused person, which is probably a character flaw I know. I don't much care for journeys, I just want to get somewhere/do something (the sooner the better). So the time-scale I set was a reflection of that. You might say I'm a bit of an idiot, and I might agree :p

The journey is the outcome.

Soldato

oh dear lord - starving yourself is NOT the answer - That is horrendous. Eat food that is clean and sensible, but less calories than you are burning. Not 24 hours of starvation....how is that sustainable in the long term??

Cheese/crisps then starving yourself is a terrible way to go about this......

Soldato
oh dear lord - starving yourself is NOT the answer - That is horrendous. Eat food that is clean and sensible, but less calories than you are burning. Not 24 hours of starvation....how is that sustainable in the long term??

Cheese/crisps then starving yourself is a terrible way to go about this......

I wonder why he creates these sorts of threads when he just ignores the advice provided, does his own thing and fails spectacularly never to post in that thread again.

Caporegime
OP
That is no where near enough calories to intake over a 48-hour period. Alternate fasting might be an option, but you've barely consumed 500 calories today. You'll put your body in starvation mode. Where is the protein?! Your body wont burn fat, it will burn muscle with such a low calorie intake!

You need at least 1000kcals per day to meet your BMR. If you dont achieve that, your body WILL burn muscle before fat (it is a survival mechanism). At least add some chicken breast / eggs to your meal if you have another day like that.
Yeah I don't think today was good. Feel like ****. It's a learning experience...
I wonder why he creates these sorts of threads when he just ignores the advice provided, does his own thing and fails spectacularly never to post in that thread again.
Don't like it don't read it. And don't post in it. Thanks.

Associate
It really is calories in vs calories out, i've done it in the past (went from 97 KG's to 75, although i have shot back up to 105KG over the course of seven years) and i used to eat what some would consider junk, stuff like baked beans and quick oats with sugar in but at the end of the day it is calories in vs calories out and as long as you balance your diet and keep this is mind (count calories) you are guaranteed success. i used to lose around 1lbs a week though but i lost over 20+ kilos over the course of a year.

my advice? start with a 500 calorie deficit each day and then every 2 weeks monitor progress and cut more cals (by 50-100) till your happy with the amount of weight loss your getting. but you don't want to lose it too fast and risk getting loose skin. This website can be used to calculate your recommended calorie intake and its the one i used

https://www.freedieting.com/calorie-calculator

Caporegime
OP
Well to prove I am listening (kinda), I was supposed to skip breakfast and lunch today but permitted myself to have a boiled egg and a single slice of toast for breakfast. Hopefully that will address the chronic lack of calories yesterday.

Now will skip lunch and have dinner, breakfast, lunch as per the next cycle. Only tomorrow's breakfast/lunch will be more substantial.

Soldato
Yeah I don't think today was good. Feel like ****. It's a learning experience...

Don't like it don't read it. And don't post in it. Thanks.

You've got a massive chip on your shoulder haven't you? You're trying to overcomplicate a simple issue, eat less = exercise more, I've done that and lost 3 stone, there are health benefits to fasting, but not to an overweight person - it's more for athletes, religious folk and the like.

Caporegime
OP
So increased insulin sensitivity and lowered risk of diabetes are not for everyone, then? Just religious folks and athletes. Well documented for years, btw.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5394735/

Why don't you butt out and go find some other thread to crap in. OK?

And before you get all bitchy, I'm listening to everyone in the thread who isn't being a dick. Sadly that doesn't include you.

Soldato
So increased insulin sensitivity and lowered risk of diabetes are not for everyone, then? Just religious folks and athletes. Well documented for years, btw.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5394735/

Why don't you butt out and go find some other thread to crap in. OK?

And before you get all bitchy, I'm listening to everyone in the thread who isn't being a dick. Sadly that doesn't include you.

Guess what? You get the benefits of insulin resistance and lowered risk of diabetes just by being at a healthy weight, not to mention you're not even eating the right foods to satiate you long enough. Crisps and a block of cheese? Where's the protein, healthy carbs and fats? To even get to the point of fasting you need to build a foundation - you'll just fall of the wagon faster.

Caporegime
OP
Let me worry about falling off the wagon. It isn't happening.

I'm not counting calories this month; I'm not going on any special diet. I will keep in mind the need for protein and have more of that.

I will keep doing the ADF because that's the plan for this month. After this month I'll review, as said. There's no discussion about that until next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom