Weights vs Cardio?

V F

V F

Soldato
To be fair unless you suffer from an actual medical issue meaning bread leaves you bloated and sluggish then there is no magic in cutting it out it's obviously just something that you were largely overeating possibly subconsciously and cutting it out brought your calorie intake down to the level it needed to be. It's got nothing to do with bread being some devil food.

I couldn't go back to bread. I was finding it tasting bleachy plus it was becoming too dry. Including brown bread. Even the brown rolls had too much flour so I stopped eating bread. Not touched any bread in over a year now as I despise the taste of it. Felt like a chore trying to eat it.

I have found my tastebuds have become super sensitive to sugar, salt and starch.

Soldato
I know this, but the point is, most of my excess body fat is on my belly. My arms and legs are still quite thin and lean. So naturalluy I expect the fat to go from where it is in excess first

Apologies if this has been addressed already, but it's worth knowing that fat around your belly is often the last place you'll lose it. I mentioned this because a lot of people get discouraged after dieting/exercising, see their weight dropping, but don't notice much with their gut. Even though comparatively you don't have as much weight else where, you'll likely lose that, slowly, first. Just trust in the scales! If you keep getting lighter eventually things will go to plan.

Soldato
I might have mentioned it but it probably got lost. Men tend to hoard most of there fat around the midsection; chest, stomach, love handles, lower back and so on. Stomach fat tends to come off top-down as well, above the navel seems to happen before under the navel, for instance. Since most people tend to only look at the scales and the mirror and don't measure or take photos at different angles, they could be losing fat but because they can't see it going from say, the lower they get convinced nothing is happening.

Women on the other hand tend to store it in their hips and legs so their abs tend to make an appearence earlier than men (taking into account they have more essential fat so 16-20% would be athletic-looking for a woman v.s. 8-12% on a guy, although due to their crazy hormones dieting is a lot more complicated for them!

Man of Honour
take photos at different angles

Generic down the pub going through photos on my phone to show someone something and the lads saw my 'vein' pictures of myself in the mirror. After the laughing/bants stopped they said I look much better than I did on the previous holiday and look like a 'normal' bloke now rather than a chubster. It's definitely a good way to measure because you can lose body fat but the scales won't change much.

Soldato
Better then my brother I hope. He wanted a six pack by the summer. He's around 3 stone overweight and his missus is even heavier. Before he met her he was slim Jim lol

Soldato
Carbs aren't the enemy. Eating in a calorie surplus simply gains you weight body composition will vary depending on the macronutrient intake. Calorie deficit and build muscle mass and your onto a winner.

Associate
I have lost 21kg (3.5 stones) in the last 5 months and I have experimented a couple of diets to see what works best. I have obviously learned a lot on the way and continue to do so through to achieving my goal of losing another 2.5 stones. What has worked for me? Well..

At 19st, exercise wasn't easy. So started with the Ketogenic diet - between 20g-50g of carbs per day, moderate proteins and high fats - in essence 5% carbs, 30% proteins, 65% fats. NO SUGARS (no fruits). After 3 weeks of this diet, i was down to 17.3 stones. I started incorporating weights 3 times a week and playing football 2-3 times a week which I am currently keeping up. I currently weigh 15st 7lbs and aim to be 13st by the end of the year. I've set small goals where I want to lose approx 4lbs a month which is healthy.

I find that lifting weights is best for weight loss as your body keeps burning calories after training. You may not notice actual weight loss on the scale for a while however your body will shrink. Diet is key (75%) and exercise combination of weights and little cardio is the rest 25%. I don't run on the treadmill for hours, i work Back and arms on day 1, chest and shoulders on day 2 and legs on day 3. I find football 2-3 times a week is enough cardio. When lifting weights, you should aim to do 8-12 reps, weight heavy enough for you to struggle at 10-12 reps. Squats, deadlifts and some running/walking are also very important.

Just as diet, good quality sleep is vital as that is when your body recovers. I find that I don't lose weight until after I have properly rested for a couple of days. My diet consists of no sugar.
0.5-1 litre of water before breakfast.
Breakfast: Tea, 3 boiled eggs OR scrabbled egg with 1 brown toast OR 2 fried eggs with 1 brown toast
Mid morning: Almonds, 3 cashews, pecan nuts
Lunch: Chicken breast with steamed broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, cucumber, lettuce, onions
Evening: Fish with steamed broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, cucumber, lettuce, onions
Diet protein before and after gym session/football
At least 2 litres of water per day.

I will have a treat meal once a week and tend to go on this diet for a week and then relax it a little bit (more carbs) in the following week with good carbs such as brown rice, brown bread, brown pasta and sweet potato - they will give you clean energy. I would avoid processed and sugary foods!. It is working for me and I am losing weight as a healthy rate. I feel weights and a little cardio is best (Weight lifting results will keep you going and short cardio will keep you interested!).

Good Luck.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
At 19st, exercise wasn't easy. So started with the Ketogenic diet - between 20g-50g of carbs per day, moderate proteins and high fats - in essence 5% carbs, 30% proteins, 65% fats. NO SUGARS (no fruits). After 3 weeks of this diet, i was down to 17.3 stones. I started incorporating weights 3 times a week and playing football 2-3 times a week which I am currently keeping up. I currently weigh 15st 7lbs and aim to be 13st by the end of the year. I've set small goals where I want to lose approx 4lbs a month which is healthy.

What did it feel like at 19st and what made you go, this is it. I have to change! For me it felt awful at 16.8st. Even the snoring. Pulling my shirts. Could feel the fat from my sides into my elbows. Desk chairs feeling tight. Hated it all. Hate the fat. Worst of all I had no energy or stamina. A 3 minute workout in mid 2015 felt like hell. Exhausted and no strength in the arms while rowing.
Back pain was another.

So glad where I am now especially since I haven't snored in over a year. Can't feel fat from the sides with my arms down tight against the body as well as not having to pull any t/shirts. Plus chairs and seats feel so big now.

Associate
It felt horrible.. face and hands were always swollen in the morning, was snoring really loud at night, I couldn't get to work without a sweat on, knees were aching, had severe pain in my back, felt lazy and just ate more, shirts wouldn't fit anymore and I would have to stretch them - considering i am 5,7" 19st was A LOT. I still tried playing football but would end up in nets after 5 mins and still would struggle to stand straight due to pain in my legs, back and feet.

I had taken diet shakes in the past and knew about a process your body can go into (Ketosis) which uses your fat as energy. I couldn't stomach milkshakes so when I read that you can achieve ketosis by eating no (very low) carbs, no sugar, moderate proteins and high fats, I thought it was brilliant. I ate fried chicken with cheese, eggs with cheese, fish with cheese and donner meat but still lost weight! Best of all, I didn't need to exercise! After losing a couple of stones, I introduced exercise and go on to the Ketogenic diet every other week. I generally try to keep my carbs low and sugars zero.

V F

V F

Soldato
Ah yes, I used to suffer swelling on the bridges of my feet in the summers of 2012 - 2014 and so on. Any long term sitting lead to a lot of fluid in my feet. It took many days for it to go down. Sometimes it didn't take much to trigger it.

Haven't suffered that in years with all the cycling. Even my feet have lost weight. :D

Associate
I have lost 21kg (3.5 stones) in the last 5 months and I have experimented a couple of diets to see what works best. I have obviously learned a lot on the way and continue to do so through to achieving my goal of losing another 2.5 stones. What has worked for me? Well..

I find that lifting weights is best for weight loss as your body keeps burning calories after training. You may not notice actual weight loss on the scale for a while however your body will shrink. Diet is key (75%) and exercise combination of weights and little cardio is the rest 25%. I don't run on the treadmill for hours, i work Back and arms on day 1, chest and shoulders on day 2 and legs on day 3. I find football 2-3 times a week is enough cardio. When lifting weights, you should aim to do 8-12 reps, weight heavy enough for you to struggle at 10-12 reps. Squats, deadlifts and some running/walking are also very important.

Just as diet, good quality sleep is vital as that is when your body recovers. I find that I don't lose weight until after I have properly rested for a couple of days. My diet consists of no sugar.
0.5-1 litre of water before breakfast.
Breakfast: Tea, 3 boiled eggs OR scrabbled egg with 1 brown toast OR 2 fried eggs with 1 brown toast
Mid morning: Almonds, 3 cashews, pecan nuts
Lunch: Chicken breast with steamed broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, cucumber, lettuce, onions
Evening: Fish with steamed broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, cucumber, lettuce, onions
Diet protein before and after gym session/football
At least 2 litres of water per day.

I will have a treat meal once a week and tend to go on this diet for a week and then relax it a little bit (more carbs) in the following week with good carbs such as brown rice, brown bread, brown pasta and sweet potato - they will give you clean energy. I would avoid processed and sugary foods!. It is working for me and I am losing weight as a healthy rate. I feel weights and a little cardio is best (Weight lifting results will keep you going and short cardio will keep you interested!).

Good Luck.

Awesome work mate, keep it up :D

Back
Top Bottom