Weights vs Cardio?

Soldato
I have started doing weights this week, just free weights and last night I did aprox one hour of bicep curls at 18kg per arm.

tumblr_inline_nbp4x7EXSf1s5jo86.gif

Soldato
can highly recommend running - I'm far fitter now at 40 than I was at 18 ...

5'4 - started 6 years ago at 14 stone, now 10.5, started with a resting HR of 80 now less than 40

its a great sport - one of the most sociable I've taken part in, I've made some great friends, had some great experiences and had a massive effect on my fitness

other positives - about cheapest sport you can do

other positives - can do it anywhere - I take my trainers with me - have run in Australia, Spain etc etc etc

Associate

5'4 - started 6 years ago at 14 stone, now 10.5, started with a resting HR of 80 now less than 40

its a great sport - one of the most sociable I've taken part in, I've made some great friends, had some great experiences and had a massive effect on my fitness

other positives - can do it anywhere - I take my trainers with me - have run in Australia, Spain etc etc etc

Sounds awesome!

Caporegime

Agreed. Outside in the fresh air, runnign in nature, exploring new parks, roads, rivers etc. No training required. no membership, no fancy equipment, safe, fun, free. Great way to relive stress. Running is transformative.

Man of Honour
It's also incredibly bad for you if you're overweight and go out without researching distances, running technique etc. You can do more damage than good.

Caporegime
It's also incredibly bad for you if you're overweight and go out without researching distances, running technique etc. You can do more damage than good.
Nonsense

What exactly are you going to research about distances? 1km is 0.621371 miles, wow.

I wasn't going to write similar ChrisD but runners seem to be extremely militant in their views :p

And people who don't run are often incredibly ignorant of the activity.

Caporegime
Are you denying that there isn't a link between running and bad joints?
Yes, because that is BS unless you have some pre-existing risk of osteoarthritis. Running strengthen bones and joints, that is part of the adaptions that occur during training.
Compare that to something like skiing or martial arts that have a very high risk of joint damage.

Man of Honour
Of course running can cause harm, to deny that declares ones ignorance of basic kinesiology.

That doesn't mean running should be avoided, but it does mean that feet/knees/hips/core need to hit some minimum standards before you start.

There does seem to be a lot of conformation bias with running; "nobody in my running club has problems with running" ... well, yeah...

Associate
GYm is not all that healthy, i got knee pain and tennis elbow which i cannot shake off. Women in my gym look like piece of lard so that that, all complements in reference to the strength gains coming form my male companions :)

Man of Honour
GYm is not all that healthy, i got knee pain and tennis elbow which i cannot shake off. Women in my gym look like piece of lard so that that, all complements in reference to the strength gains coming form my male companions :)
That's not the gyms fault, that's a lack of knowledge on your part causing poor form or training through poor mobility rather than fixing it allowing injuries to happen.

Back
Top Bottom