Well I fell down the custom keyboard world.

i am very interested in a new Keyboard and want to go down the route of a custom.
But am looking for Fast but nearly silent keys
any recommendations on where to go for one and the switches

thanks

i am very interested in a new Keyboard and want to go down the route of a custom.
But am looking for Fast but nearly silent keys
any recommendations on where to go for one and the switches

thanks

I like these Akko Fairy switches (linear), no 'thock' but more of a soft 'squidge' noise. Haven't tried any other silents like the Penguins (tactile)

Note you can make pretty much any switch or keyboard- doesn't need to be hot swap- silent using O-rings. Just pull the keycaps and slide them over the keycap stems. Costs pennies and works really well in my experience. Some very tall profiles like SA might need thicker, or maybe two rings, but it's pretty much foolproof.

If you still want silent and custom, then the world's your oyster- there's no real need to buy an expensive Aluminium board or custom plate (unless you really want the aesthetics) as you'll be dampening all the sound benefits they might provide anyway.

I like these Akko Fairy switches (linear), no 'thock' but more of a soft 'squidge' noise. Haven't tried any other silents like the Penguins (tactile)
that sounds right up my street.

I currently have a hyperxalloy 60% but now for work and playing some new games its not cutting it so new KB is a must just not sure where to start.

I've got a ducky with GMK dots r2 and a Model O Wireless mouse, both in white, and both yellowing to the point where I look like I smoke 40 a day.

o1rL3kr.png

I would probably always buy a coloured / black keyboard from now on because it's such an exaggerated yellowing, but has anybody tried bleaching them or anything similar?

Last edited:
I've got a ducky with GMK dots r2 and a Model O Wireless mouse, both in white, and both yellowing to the point where I look like I smoke 40 a day.

o1rL3kr.png

I would probably always buy a coloured / black keyboard from now on because it's such an exaggerated yellowing, but has anybody tried bleaching them or anything similar?
Retrobrite (Hydrogen Peroxide) would probably work. I think it looks pretty great though!

Retrobrite (Hydrogen Peroxide) would probably work. I think it looks pretty great though!
That looks like the stuff. I've heard of the chemical for whitening plastics, but didn't know it was branded in such a way for restoring old consoles. That's good to know.

I think I'm looking for a refresh tbh, new keyboard, new cable, new mouse, though there's nothing wrong functionally with any of them, and I'd love it if they looked like new again!

Back
Top Bottom