We're No 1

Associate
2600XP-M @ 2.5ghz / 2500XP @ 2.3ghz / 2400XP @ stock / P4 3.0ghz HT @ stock

Have a pretty decent laptop I will also be shortly calling to do its National Service. Cant even remember what it is. Think is a P4 2.4ghz. Its pretty decent anyway.

I read something about installing it on internet cafe PCs earlier. LOL. Surely they would realise or have anti installation software etc.

Associate
Originally posted by carpmaster
2600XP-M @ 2.5ghz / 2500XP @ 2.3ghz / 2400XP @ stock / P4 3.0ghz HT @ stock

Have a pretty decent laptop I will also be shortly calling to do its National Service. Cant even remember what it is. Think is a P4 2.4ghz. Its pretty decent anyway.

I read something about installing it on internet cafe PCs earlier. LOL. Surely they would realise or have anti installation software etc.

Welcome to the Team CarpMaster :)

Internet Cafes probably dont allow users the admin rights to install software - they'd be daft if they did ...dunno have never used them - but i'm sure there are people in this team with the knowledge to ...er ...circumvent such security lol

might check it out when i pass one though i dont know where my nearest is !

Associate
Originally posted by RogueTLDW
Welcome to the Team CarpMaster :)

Internet Cafes probably dont allow users the admin rights to install software - they'd be daft if they did ...dunno have never used them - but i'm sure there are people in this team with the knowledge to ...er ...circumvent such security lol

might check it out when i pass one though i dont know where my nearest is !

Just imagine............all the major internet cafes unknowingly working for OCUK.

This remids me. Is there any way to have seti / boinc running without showing itself in the taskbar.

I have some major assimilations planned, but am concerned that the borged PCs owner might spot the icon and noobishly tweak the settings thus undoing my plans for world domination.

You know what people are like.............ooh whats this. Oh ill **** about with it. Oh what have I done..............Even those who will agree to having seti installed might accidently tweak........

ANy way to avoid please?

Associate
Thanks for that. Might be a little too much work required if the assimilation needs to be executed rapidly.

Ill write the instructions down and carry them around with me, for rapid access should I come across any borg-able PCs

Associate
OK heres an update

All these are SETI willing not borged.

AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2400+ Pentium
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+ Pentium
GenuineIntel Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+
AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
AuthenticAMD mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP-M

Theres a 3.0ghz P4 and a P4 laptop which are yet to come online, so these will be added tomorrow possibly.

Lets show those germans that even when outnumbered 5:1 we still kick their ass !!

How long do the results take to be send back + verified. Ive had these crunchers up a whole day + night but no results are showing for me yet. Can someone confirm this is normal. I remember in the old SETI days they would show once uploaded back.

Associate
Each Wu is sent to 4 hosts (even more if 1 of the original 4 had an error).

When 3 (or all of them) of the hosts have returned results, the validator looks at the claimed credit, removes the highest and lowest and gives everyone the average of the other 1 or 2 claimed credits.

So if the claimed credit is 30.57, 25.70, 43.82 everyone gets 30.57.

Until 3 or more hosts have returned results, it sits on pending.

One other thing to note is that the validator is backlogged at the moment. server status

Have a look at this excellent FAQ.

Stu

Last edited:

MGP

MGP

Soldato
OP
Welcome Carpmaster: With that sort of firepower you are going to climb up the team chart quite fast. More somtage down below, We like it :D

As for getting credit, there are three stages:
1) The WU is uploaded once crunched - that happens immediately.
2) The WU is "reported" as complete. You may see a status in your boinc setup of "ready to report". You can force an update by right clicking on the project. It will update automatically when your client next contacts the server for more work. Thus the longer you have you cache set (Connect to network every ### days - General Preferences), the longer between your WUs gettig reported.
3) Your credit will be in pending status untill at least two other WUs are returned and reported by other crunchers. Then you have to wait for the validator (which has been "playing up" for the last few weeks) to get to your set of results, compare them and agree the results correlate and award the credit.

The credit you get is an averaged score, frequently the middle one, of the claimed credit of all three crunchers. What you claim as credit depends on the effort your PC expended to crunch, less time, less credit. Different Seti WUs have different content so take different crunching power.

Last edited:
Associate
I believe seti boinc are having some problems and not generating XML stats so regularly at the moment so it might be something to do with that?

MGP

MGP

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by RobOC
I believe seti boinc are having some problems and not generating XML stats so regularly at the moment so it might be something to do with that?

I'd suspect that XML is generated from the database. They said a while ago that the database was having issues with some sort of 5Mbit/s leakage :eek: So XML may be off to lighten that load.

I don't see how the validator and XML are directly related. On the other hand the whole project runs on ancient hardware so one thing being borked no doubt helps to trash everything else.

Associate
Excellent thanks for the replies. The P4 3.0ghz has come online today, the laptop however seems to have vanished. Ill see if I can track it down and get that crunching too.

That however will probably be the limit of my crunching output. Id consider building a farm but honestly have nowhere to put it.

We really need to get that post up in GD if no one has already done so. Think of all those OCUK A64's and 775's with HT going to waste.

Surely one of the senior crunchers here can make a post rallying the troops!!

Associate
Just been running the seti germany forums through the google translator again. They realise they are back in #1...

God is thanks...!!! Finally dind we again, where we belong!!! So, and I hope now the fact that VERY many give the running out Classic up finally and to the future changes... BOINC! Kind regards to the island apes...

They also seem to be having a discussion in the same thread about the stability of boinc and how many are not willing to move across so it looks like their situation is similar to ours at the moment...

Back
Top Bottom