US: Westworld

Soldato
Every week they’re doubling down on making the characters more unlikable. Episode 4 was beautifully made well acted but it’s well written but I’m not sure it’s a story I’m liking at all.
I complained about lack of agency well this episode explains that to an extent.
Gosh this lacks all the joy and mystery of season 1. It’s going to take one hell of a twist in the plot to make me enjoy this at this rate.

Caporegime
season 1 was great
they should have stayed in the park longer
season 2 started going downhill
season 3 so far imo has been really crap

Man of Honour
With season 3 I'm wondering if they are playing with some quite subtle themes or it is a kind of waste if they aren't such as Delores's perspective on humans and hence the path she sets herself being derailed somewhat as she gets closer to Caleb, etc.

I'm kind of enjoying it but at the same time it only pays off if they've been crafting quite a subtle build up.

Soldato
What if it's the host version of William ? Like James Delos was a host, they made a host version of William and now Delores has control of him Episode 3 has Hale questioning "Who am I?" and then at the end where she goes psycho predator saying she remembers who she is, follow with Teaser for Ep 4 William "I know who I am"

After watching episode 4:
It's clone Dolores!

Soldato
Still doesn't feel like Westworld to me. Just a generic sci-fi, it's watchable but no where near as enjoyable as the first season.
Have to agree. Plus it's just too convoluted rather than clever with the plot. Every episode has it's own "Episode X, explained" just so folk can keep up. Still enjoy it, but it's hard work.

Soldato
It's getting similar to last year where after every episode you need to go in search of an explanation video. Once that starts happening time and time again they've gone too far in trying to be clever, and it starts to become less enjoyable.

Man of Honour
Still doesn't feel like Westworld to me. Just a generic sci-fi, it's watchable but no where near as enjoyable as the first season.

Depends if you look at Westworld as a metaphysical concept or as a physical one.

It's getting similar to last year where after every episode you need to go in search of an explanation video. Once that starts happening time and time again they've gone too far in trying to be clever, and it starts to become less enjoyable.

I never bother to try and understand what is going on too much - just go with the flow and put the pieces together as they are built up it is far more enjoyable.

Soldato
How can people not understand what's going on? It's pretty straight forward. Or are the people having problems not actually watching it but but just have it on whilst they play on their phones?

Soldato
Struggling to see the point of Caleb, just how dense is he for a start? Delores has had more holes in her than a Swiss cheese the past couple of episodes and yet he's only just beginning to suspect something may be amiss with her.

Last edited:
Soldato
That might be the first episode of this programme I genuinely disliked. It’s utterly joyless, there is no one to root for.

The casual murder lacks any impact, the plot is very cold sci-fi lacking the wit and charm that earlier seasons added. Yes a lot of death occurred in earlier seasons but much of it was knowingly “play” because it was non-sentient hosts.

The only “human” characters are bland or unlikable. The hosts lack anything that makes you empathise both sides of the plot make it seem like you’re a witness to your own death sentence. This week they seemed like they were trying to be profound without having put any of the backstory work to allow it impact and be profound.

The Caleb drug bit was a great idea but poorly executed partly because there is no room for happiness in the plot. It needed a better director to really pull it off.

I’m going to see this through and I’m hoping for a turnaround a twist or something that makes me feel foolish for doubting them. But at the moment it’s leaving me cold.

Soldato
^ I'm just not enjoying it at all. It looks great but it lacks any sort of hook like the previous seasons. The storytelling is bland, obvious and thus far lacks any sort of emotional or intelligent punch.
This episodes semi-reveal would be the outcomes of the the agitators like Caleb and perhaps like his mother who seemingly had their minds scrambled and re-programmed?

Perhaps the final 3 episodes will redeem it.

Caporegime
I just came in to say this episode was terrible. It was poorly written, poorly directed and just had so many cringe moments (drug scene, the black "gangsta" characters, the awful manchild Bruce Wayne wannabe and others that I can't even be arsed to list) that I was wondering if I was watching the same show as last week. It is completely devoid of any emotion, there are no characters I can root for or get behind. It is, utterly soulless, like the unrealistically depopulated and suicidally bland world it portrays.

There could have been a good story here but they decided to kill any sympathy for the formerly enigmatic and mysterious "saviour of mankind" Serac and lost pretty much every bit of tension in one single episode. Ugh, that was painful to watch. :(

That might be the first episode of this programme I genuinely disliked. It’s utterly joyless, there is no one to root for.

The casual murder lacks any impact, the plot is very cold sci-fi lacking the wit and charm that earlier seasons added. Yes a lot of death occurred in earlier seasons but much of it was knowingly “play” because it was non-sentient hosts.

The only “human” characters are bland or unlikable. The hosts lack anything that makes you empathise both sides of the plot make it seem like you’re a witness to your own death sentence. This week they seemed like they were trying to be profound without having put any of the backstory work to allow it impact and be profound.

The Caleb drug bit was a great idea but poorly executed partly because there is no room for happiness in the plot. It needed a better director to really pull it off.

I’m going to see this through and I’m hoping for a turnaround a twist or something that makes me feel foolish for doubting them. But at the moment it’s leaving me cold.

Yup, pretty much this.

Back
Top Bottom