US: Westworld

Associate
Yep I agree on all points, nothing in this seriesnis currently striking any emotion for me. It feels like it could work, but feel that there is a significant character building piece missing to form any connection. Will stick it out, but may well be the last series I watch

Caporegime
Goodness grief, Episode 6 was more of the same confusing and illogical crap. So many things JUST DONT MAKE ******* SENSE and it's clear they have decided to throw away realism, immersion and character development to the side in favour of simply getting the plot chugging along as fast as possible. So disappointing. Things that really annoy me so far are:

1. Are we really expected to believe that this data release would cause worldwide mass and panic? Serac and governments aren't claiming it's an elaborate hoax by terrorists trying to cause instability? People just accept it as gospel?

2. A trained doctor in an institution... her husband immediately breaks all contact and takes the kid and she immediately commits suicide? Give me a god damn break.

3. Taxis have no privacy and are basically one big glass exhibition window with no ability to darken the glass? Utterly ridiculous.

3. What the hell was the point of Maeve just randomly going outside to fight simulated Nazis? She all of a sudden has a strong desire to practise mass murder on simulated men who are nothing like Deloros and are no challenge? All she needed to do was test her mind control, she knows they are anyway just doing what they are programmed to do and are no threat to her skills

4. The William guilt and hallucination scenes are just absolutely awful and dragged out. Why do we give a **** about his guilt? He is not a character we identify with or root for so don't shoehorn in all of these silly scenes showing him self-agonizing. Keep him as the cold and heartless ******* we know and like watching, otherwise that's another character less to enjoy.

5. Dolores and Serac keep talking about this "host among us" situation as though everyone around them knows about it. There is no sign that the board knew anything about it and they are just calmly standing there as though they have known all along. It is terrible portrayed. In fact, Serac in general is just turning into a caricature and I had such high hope for him with the great way he was introduced to the show.

6. If this Augmented Reality technology is so real and lifelike then why the frick is going to the effort to make and maintain West World even needed? People can do whatever they want, whenever they want, inside AR. Surely Serac's machine, or even any Psychology graduate fresh from university, could predict that the more people carry out atrocities in real-life against things that look and feel human the more it would corrupt them and turn they psychotic?

It's just a badly written season.

Last edited:
Soldato
Better but not good, the casual murder lacks the escapist joy of an action film or intensity of a thriller. I preferred this episode to last week but it’s not easy to like.

I thought the William story moved in a better direction, if he is going to have some epiphany and become active character that would be good.

Overall it’s very messy and robots murdering people without a protagonist you can root for feels flat. Still got my fingers crossed.

Soldato
Better but not good, the casual murder lacks the escapist joy of an action film or intensity of a thriller.

I thought it was worse than the previous episode. As you say it's drifted in to a beige story-line that the writers seem to think casual murder and bloodshed is enough to hold people interest. It's all become a bit arty-farty, and style over substance. So long as the back backdrops look nice no-one will notice the story and characters are just ambling along. It feels a very long way from "Westworld"

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I'm watching this so I can see the end of season 3, but man, such a big drop off in enjoyment. Going back to season 1 I think for a re-watch, the parks are where it's at.

They will have to change the name of the show since there's nothing wild west about this now, except for the cowboy writers :p

Man of Honour
I thought it was worse than the previous episode. As you say it's drifted in to a beige story-line that the writers seem to think casual murder and bloodshed is enough to hold people interest. It's all become a bit arty-farty, and style over substance. So long as the back backdrops look nice no-one will notice the story and characters are just ambling along. It feels a very long way from "Westworld"

Yeah the thrust of the storyline has gone very beige :( there are some subtle themes I think people are missing the significance of especially when it comes to the changes to Delores but they don't alone save it.

They have moved over to Westworld being used in what for want of a better way to describe it is the metaphysical concept of the nature of it but unless this season is building upto something it is going to fall very flat.

Man of Honour
Ahh, subtle themes we may have missed. Please enlighten us? :)

There is a lot involving what Delores set out to do and the changes that happen to her (and her clones) along the way as her intentions collide with the "real world" and interaction with humans outside of the park.

It is beyond my understanding of them to explain them I don't bother trying to figure everything out until it is revealed but I can see they are there - I don't find the show very enjoyable if you have a need to understand everything that is going on all of the time - much more enjoyable just to get a general feel for the way it is going and go with the flow.

Caporegime
There is a lot involving what Delores set out to do and the changes that happen to her (and her clones) along the way as her intentions collide with the "real world" and interaction with humans outside of the park.

It is beyond my understanding of them to explain them I don't bother trying to figure everything out until it is revealed but I can see they are there - I don't find the show very enjoyable if you have a need to understand everything that is going on all of the time - much more enjoyable just to get a general feel for the way it is going and go with the flow.
I see. Then it's just a vague and subjective feeling you have, as opposed to anything tangible that you can explain.

Man of Honour
I see. Then it's just a vague and subjective feeling you have, as opposed to anything tangible that you can explain.

As an aside regarding your points above.

1. Caleb was convinced by what he saw - so assumedly the level of detail is more than could be explained away as a hoax.

4. My assumption is William still has a part to play and this leads into it but it is very dragged out and I didn't find most of his scenes in the latest episode very interesting.

6. I assume the idea is the park was where the AR was originally developed from (though there is another potential twist to that depending on where they are taking the story with regard to the real world) - don't forget how long William was in the park for instance.

Soldato
What's the word on the ground? Still a good watch. I will start S3 soon, is it less confusing that 2?

I think it's a lot less confusing, yes. At least we're now just on one timeline (I think...)

To be honest I'm enjoying this much more than season 2 so far.

Me too, mainly because it's simpler and a bit more generic Sci-fi, which I understand means others might like it less.

How can people not understand what's going on? It's pretty straight forward. Or are the people having problems not actually watching it but but just have it on whilst they play on their phones?

Yeah, I agree with you there. It seems much simpler this season.

What? Altered Carbon is literally nothing like Westworld.

Where do you see the influences? :confused:

AC has stacks, Westworld has the round, mind chip thingies. Both have minds stored on something that goes into a vessel to be the body.

Caporegime
AC has stacks, Westworld has the round, mind chip thingies. Both have minds stored on something that goes into a vessel to be the body.

Westworld is not real people using copies of their brains to live forever... it's a different concept. Westworld also came out before Altered Carbon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom