What a rubbish World Cup so far

Soldato
Worst World Cup I have seen, was a nipper in Italia 90 so remember bits of that.

Lifeless games.

Lack of world footballing talent, after Messi and Ronaldo, who else is there?

Annoying bee sounds.

England team that plays worse than New Zealand, who have a semi-professional league.

Totally woeful competition, football has deteriorated drastically over the last decade.

Seriously gonna try and get into Rugby or American Football.

Soldato
sunheadline.jpg

Caporegime
I agree with Skip ;)

First game was all about not losing, testing themselves and adjusting to things ect ect

They have to start winning, players are pushing themselves (or not in England's case) to advance in the finals.

It's getting better as teams start to get a bit of form, players start to relax a bit more as well :)

Soldato
86 for me.

Thing is times change, absolutely everything is different to how it was when i experienced 86, and obviously italia 90.

Back then it truely was the one and only greatest gathering of players, the most intensive of the media focus was given to the wc as an event, and not just as a marketing exercise as it is today. There was no all dominating premier league, champions league, football wasn't 24/7 in the media, our perceptions were different, players and their ego's have changed how they perform in the competion.

While i agree on a few of the points raised about the competition being held in africa, ultimately what happens on the pitch is where it comes alive. Writing this, it's hard to stay on a continuous tone, because it's hard to balance the here and now, with what was great then through rose tinted glasses. Without question though, the players attitudes, and our perceptions of the tourney as a whole will never be what it was, due to the profile of the players as they are today and the spoon fed media 24/7 culture.

Back in 86 all we saw were the players on the pitch, they knew that, and they gave everything on the pitch so we could see how great they were...

Ask yourself, im betting that there's a fair number of players out there that belive they're bigger than the world cup, and bigger than the country their playing for. You match that up with what we expect, and whats gone down the years.. the epic games of the past will rarely matched.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think I'm waiting for people to start blaming the shirts.

The ball, the altitude, the weather have all been blamed.

I'm waiting for them to say the shirts are different to the club shirts, this is obviously why Mr Liverpool and Mr Chelsea aren't able to play as well as they normally do.

Caporegime
I think I'm waiting for people to start blaming the shirts.

The ball, the altitude, the weather have all been blamed.

I'm waiting for them to say the shirts are different to the club shirts, this is obviously why Mr Liverpool and Mr Chelsea aren't able to play as well as they normally do.

Of course the ball and altitude has made a difference...i havent seen so many crosses and free kicks of very poor quality for a very long time.

But i think certain teams are getting used to it now so we are seeing slightly better games.

Last edited:
Associate
This is without doubt the worst World Cup ever but on a bright note, the World Cup is never going to be staged in Africa again, thank god.

Associate
Long time no see. :cool:

I was about to start a new thread on this topic and then found this thread.

I agree wholeheartedly and then some. What a farce this World Fiasco has been so far.

The quality of football has been terrible. The new ball is clearly a problem. Shots are all over the place but few on target. The refereeing has been shockingly poor. The diving antics are vile. The honour in football seems extremely distant. Have people like Keita no pride?

The goal average up until Saturday evening was the lowest on record.

Some of the biggest stars, e.g. England, have had reality caught up with them with undesirable effects. Meaning; in the EPL they appear World Class supported by the immense international talent surrounding and masking their flaws. Playing without them it is obvious what a sell out the EPL is with the undesired side effect; English talent is suffering. Seeing these overpaid buffoons not rolling up their sleeves and then moaning at the people who've flown halfway across the globe only emphasises what a bunch of greedy chav's they are, and epitomizes what is wrong with this sport.

I am a avid fan of football and feel overjoyed watching entertaining games. I made a schedule what games to watch so my wife also got sometime with me this month.

After the initial 12 days it looks like this will be the last World Fiasco I get involved in.

Is the Vuvuzela to blame partially? Killing the traditional football atmosphere.

Regarding the Kaka sending off: Has it not occurred to anyone yet he might have wanted another yellow to avoid being suspended in the second round? ;) Brazil are through regardless of the result in the last group match.

Football will remain a cheaters game so long as hard and swift action is not taken on cheaters like Keita. On the other hand it creates drama and action, which is what the punter wants.

Fifa needs to wake up and only hire the best referees based on performance. Currently all nations get a quota... meaning you get absolute clowns in the tournament. :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Regarding the Kaka sending off: Has it not occurred to anyone yet he might have wanted another yellow to avoid being suspended in the second round? ;) Brazil are through regardless of the result in the last group match.

Cards are reset going in to the next round are they not?

His yellow has no effect, on the next round of games.

Man of Honour
I think that there is nothing much to complain about now. The games are getting more lively and when the knockout stages start later this week we shall get all the excitement we could ask for. It's a pity the hosts didn't survive but that's the way it goes.

Caporegime
Can't say I paid attention to a lot of the Mexico v Uru game, but the france v Sa, while entertaining was in football terms, rather crap.

Portugal, Argies, Germany and Spain, all really only in one game aswell, have put on a bit of a show but really the football has been far from good in the massive majority of games.

There will always be more entertainment in the final group game as with only 3 games its rare for any group to not be very close for the 3rd game.

Hopefully with some of the worse teams out we'll see some better football being played, but there aren't too many signs of that happening so far.

Back
Top Bottom