Poll: What AM4 motherboard will you be getting?

What manufacturer AM4 will you be buying?

• Asus

Votes: 93 33.0%
  • Asrock

Votes: 66 23.4%
  • Gigabyte

Votes: 81 28.7%
  • MSI

Votes: 37 13.1%
  • other.

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
I'm close to ordering it for aesthetics alone... I'm annoyed there's no I/O cover though on a board that's made to look good... look at the AM4 version compared to the Intel:

Notice something missing... again, surely that's like a couple of quid I/O cover, but makes the board look so much more polished.

Also, look how many more VRMs the Intel board has.

For some reason, mobo makers are really skimping on AMD.

I see what you mean, but the Intel version is the top end Z270 whereas the AMD version is the lower B350, however, I would defo be willing to pay a bit extra for the IO over.

Soldato
I am still torn between motherboards. I decide then I read more comments and I change my mind again.

Currently leaning towards the MSI X370 Pro Carbon Gaming. The other contenders are the Asrock X370 Killer AC or the Gigabyte Gaming 3 BM350. I am going to buy 3200GHz DD4 memory, 2x8GB.

Or should I go all out and get the Gigabyte X370 Gaming 7 or the Asrock Tachci? I won't be doing any heavy overclocking. But I believe that the next few generations of CPU from AMD will fit AM4 motherboards, so I want it as future proof as possible. I won't be going multi gpu either.

I would like the motherboard to have strong USB 3 ports and two USB controllers if possible.

Associate
If you want great audio, get a DAC and a good set of headphones.

Yup got that too, but it's good to have multiple sound cards for multiple sources.

Don't want to have to plug/unplug speakers and headphones when I want to swap, just swap audio device in windows. So it's nice to effectively have a quality dedicated sound card integrated on the mobo.

Associate
Really good in depth reviews from TweakTown, including circuit analysis of the VRMS.

ASRock X370 Taichi (AMD X370) Motherboard Review >> http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8099/asrock-x370-taichi-amd-motherboard-review/index.html

ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero (AMD X370) Motherboard Review >> http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/80...i-hero-amd-x370-motherboard-review/index.html

Great reviews, especially of the Taichi. Makes me wonder if I should change my preorder from the K7... decisions!

Associate
I see the MSI Carbon has just gone up a tenner...

Does anyone have the Carbon and can report on how it is?

I was originally avoiding it due to people having bad experiences with MSI, but their AM4 boards don't seem to be misbehaving and it is very well priced for its features. And also in stock :p

Soldato
When it comes to RAM speed, I am pretty much just going to buy 3200Mhz ram, run it at stock and hope that a future bios will unlock the speed.

Am I crazy to think this will happen?

This is defo on the way, not crazy at all, ASUS are already unlocking full potential, and I know Gigabyte's last beta bios for my board (B350m Gaming 3) allowed me to run my memory at full speed, well close enough, 2933mhz, however although it ran at full speed, it wasn't stable in anything I tested it with, even at stock settings, it would crash every test, reported it to Gigabyte and next thing I know they pulled the beta bios.

Associate
I'll probably have to wait a month+ for my case to arrive, but the build is going to be black and purple, and it's an matx build, waiting on all black higher end matx AM4 but no idea if/when they're going to exist :(

Soldato
The msi carbon is in stock here now but can't see many reviews for it.. anyone got one?

I just don't know which board to go for haha :(

I was in the same position as you. Didn't have a clue what board to go for. In the end, I went with the MSI Carbon, it should arrive Monday. I went with it because it looks fantastic. It seems to have all the features I would ever want or need, and it's emphasis is on VR.

If you want me to check anything out for you before you decide to buy I can do so on Monday. It might help you make up your mind.

Oh, I was holding out until some of the similar priced Asrock boards came in stock, I just got fed up waiting. Knowing my luck, every motherboard is going to be in stock on Monday :)

Back
Top Bottom