Poll: What AM4 motherboard will you be getting?

What manufacturer AM4 will you be buying?

• Asus

Votes: 93 33.0%
  • Asrock

Votes: 66 23.4%
  • Gigabyte

Votes: 81 28.7%
  • MSI

Votes: 37 13.1%
  • other.

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
Associate
Why are you missing the AsRock ones?
I see they offer nothing special in the specifications. Actually, they are mostly inferior in the specs.

No reason in particular, I just know they exist and was wondering why they aren't listed yet.

Also, which other motherboards offer 10GbE? Not that I need it but it offers something the others don't.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, due to PCI-E 3.0 x2 on the M.2 slot 2, it might not need the cooling plate.

PCI-E 3.0 x4 is 3.94 GB/s
PCI-E 3.0 x2 is 1.97 GB/s
PCI-E 2.0 x4 is 2.00 GB/s

So, theoretically the MSI motherboards which all come with the M.2 slot being PCI-E 2.0 x4, we will get higher speeds.
The Asus ROG Crosshair VII comes with 2 full speed PCI-E 3.0 x4 M.2 slots.

It is interesting that this Asus has the same price as the MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC which has that slower PCI-E 2.0 x4 M.2 slot.
I thought those who offer 2x m.2 at x4 sacrifice other PCI-E lanes. CH7 16x goes into 8x, so it's not without a cost (not sure if that makes any difference to GPU)

To edit as per elmor :
It's the only way to achieve 2x M.2 at x4 PCIE Gen 3 without a PCI-E bridge chip (very expensive). Any other solution would use x4 PCIE Gen2 from the chipset, which will slow you down significantly especially if using NVMe RAID.
If M.2_1 is used, PCIEX16/X8_1 will run at x16/x8 depending on if there's a card plugged in PCIEX8_2 (as usual).
If M.2_2 is used, PCIEX16/X8_1 will run at x8, and PCIEX8_2 will run at x4.

So you are reducing speed of two PCI-E slots , if you want two m2 at full speed.

Last edited:
Associate
From looking at the specifications, does the asus prime x470-pro not have any sata 3 ports, only sata 2?

Edit: I found it does actually have 6 x SATA 6 Gb/s connectors, but lists them under internal I/O instead of Storage.

Permabanned
I thought those who offer 2x m.2 at x4 sacrifice other PCI-E lanes. CH7 16x goes into 8x, so it's not without a cost (not sure if that makes any difference to GPU)

To edit as per elmor :
It's the only way to achieve 2x M.2 at x4 PCIE Gen 3 without a PCI-E bridge chip (very expensive). Any other solution would use x4 PCIE Gen2 from the chipset, which will slow you down significantly especially if using NVMe RAID.
If M.2_1 is used, PCIEX16/X8_1 will run at x16/x8 depending on if there's a card plugged in PCIEX8_2 (as usual).
If M.2_2 is used, PCIEX16/X8_1 will run at x8, and PCIEX8_2 will run at x4.

So you are reducing speed of two PCI-E slots , if you want two m2 at full speed.

Maybe it is right for some other motherboards but not in the case of the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7. Read the documentation, it has three PCI-E 3.0 (2.0) x16 slots, and the second M.2 slot shares bandwidth with the third PCI-E x16 slot (that is actually running x4). https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-7-WIFI-rev-10#sp

1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
    * For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
  2. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8)
    * The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot operates at up to x8 mode.
    (The PCIEX16 and PCIEX8 slots conform to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)
  3. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
    * The PCIEX4 slot becomes unavailable when a device is installed in the M2B_SOCKET connector.
  4. 2 x PCI Express x1 slots
    (The PCIEX4 and PCI Express x1 slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)

Associate
Maybe it is right for some other motherboards but not in the case of the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7. Read the documentation, it has three PCI-E 3.0 (2.0) x16 slots, and the second M.2 slot shares bandwidth with the third PCI-E x16 slot (that is actually running x4). https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-7-WIFI-rev-10#sp

1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
    * For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
  2. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8)
    * The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot operates at up to x8 mode.
    (The PCIEX16 and PCIEX8 slots conform to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)
  3. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
    * The PCIEX4 slot becomes unavailable when a device is installed in the M2B_SOCKET connector.
  4. 2 x PCI Express x1 slots
    (The PCIEX4 and PCI Express x1 slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
Second m2 is gen 2 so they don't even offer option for 2x full speed m2

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/giga...-7-wifi-amd-atx-motherboard,review-34309.html

Associate
Oh well off to a good start my x470 prime won’t get past bios with 8pack 3200 ram in docp on :( I’ll get windows installed and set before having a proper tinker about

Associate
nah not yet , i tried my luck with 3200 on first boot up.
I'll get the bios updated and report back , cheers for the heads up on the new bios

Associate
So bios updated and tried straight for DOCP 3200 but fails still.
I did leave the DOCP timings on but turned the ram speed to 2800 and its been fine so far , ill keep tinkering but where i am now is a lot better than the initial 2133 :p

Associate
So did a bit more testing trying each dimm on its own at various speeds ( 3066 being the highest on one and 29xx on the other )

I then thought I’d try the other 2 dimm slots ..... booted 1st in docp 3200 no problems at all !!!! Am I missing something that seems a bit wierd to me for the board to favour dimm sockets ?

Ah well that’s that mini drama over glad I went with 8pack stuff on this week only and didn’t get slower stuff

Associate
Yes always Best to read up before Installing, Online Manual Version also if you don't like Paper Version
I been building for 18 Years & still check out the manual Due to diff features & how they installed:)

Soldato

Same as their Z370 but undated 1220 chip I believe

Anybody waiting for the X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI board to come in stock at overclockers ? thought they would be in by now :confused:

Have a feeling like other boards they sold out of stock quick . Saw a few boards that went to in-stock at launch then back into pre order with price increases
Seen a few other sites with them in but very low one hand digit numbers

Back
Top Bottom