Poll: What AM4 motherboard will you be getting?

What manufacturer AM4 will you be buying?

• Asus

Votes: 93 33.0%
  • Asrock

Votes: 66 23.4%
  • Gigabyte

Votes: 81 28.7%
  • MSI

Votes: 37 13.1%
  • other.

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
Associate
I ended up buying one, along with a 1700x, a new case and SSD, and a full new WC loop. My wallet. :(

After days of umms and ahhhs i have placed an order for an asrock. End of march i guess is not so bad as i have mass effect to keep me occupied. I will await the mobo being in stock to order the rest (case, cooler, CPU, memory, ssd).

Which case did you go for?

I haz 4090!
Don
After days of umms and ahhhs i have placed an order for an asrock. End of march i guess is not so bad as i have mass effect to keep me occupied. I will await the mobo being in stock to order the rest (case, cooler, CPU, memory, ssd).

Which case did you go for?

Went with the Enthoo Evolv in gun metal. Not the tempered glass version, I can't be bothered doing a mega neat job on the cabling behind the mobo :)

Soldato
What's the best motherboard in the 90-200 range? I really like the look and sound of the MSI X370 Pro carbon. I won't ever be going two GPU, but need some USB 3.0 ports for VR, two USB controllers would be ideal. Ideally would like to it to support higher memory speeds like 3GHz.

Associate
Now I went back to my old laptop...
It seems I ordered two mounting plates instead of one mounting plate and one backplate from EK -.-

p.s. didn't open the package until I disassembled the desktop and drained all liquid.

Associate
After getting a Gigabyte gaming 3 due to stock issues and cancelling my Gigabyte Gaming 5, I must say I am so glad I did.
I am at 3.8 ghz with just a few mins in the bios, the board looks great with the RGB and the more I think about it, the less I actually need the x370. I am sure I can push more ghz out of the chip when I find the time to tinker.
I have a GTX 1080 and I never have and never will go SLI / Crossfire so nothing loss there and the USB ports on the board / case are more than enough.
Money saved and in my pocket.

Associate
Dont bother with MSI go AsRock Taichi it has clock gen function so on 2666 memory strap you can hit the mem speeds you need. On MSI you will be stuck around 2666 at best most are 2400 which is like a 200mhz cpu overclock lose in efficency. To be honest I dont like any of the MSI AM4 boards.
Thank you for your answer. But Taichi it's too much for me, are there any other motherboards have clock gen function for more affordable price? I don't need SLI, so I wanna ideally mobo for overclocking to 3.8(in worst case)-4 (in best) for approximately $150-170. What can you advice?

Last edited:
Associate
Thank you for your answer. But Taichi it's too much for, are there any other motherboards have clock gen function for more affordable price? I don't need SLI, so I wanna ideally mobo for overclocking to 3.8(i worst case)-4 (in best) for approximately $150-170. What can you advice?

Asus X370 Prime. OC's well based on review comparison I saw with a Aorus an CH6.

Associate
After getting a Gigabyte gaming 3 due to stock issues and cancelling my Gigabyte Gaming 5, I must say I am so glad I did.
I am at 3.8 ghz with just a few mins in the bios, the board looks great with the RGB and the more I think about it, the less I actually need the x370. I am sure I can push more ghz out of the chip when I find the time to tinker.
I have a GTX 1080 and I never have and never will go SLI / Crossfire so nothing loss there and the USB ports on the board / case are more than enough.
Money saved and in my pocket.

I too thought of saving myself £100, but I convinced myself I needed an X370 in the end. Partly due to the hoped longevity of the AM4 platform. Whilst B350 boards are hitting similar levels to X370 for the 1700/1800, I'd hope that my investment in a tier 1 board will mean I can hit higher ceilings for the future 1900/2000X CPU's, essentially I don't want to change my board for the duration of my existence on the AM4 platform, with a B350 I'd get itchy feet.

Associate
Pics of the gigabyte b350 gaming 3 overclocking settings as promised. I actually settled on 3.85GHZ @ 1.326V
It could do more but it just wasn't worth it for the amount of extra voltage you had to give it.

Associate
Limited to m-ATX so was planning on Biostar X370 GT3 but I couldn't find anywhere to pre-order it! So I went for the MSI B350M Mortar pre-order.......still waiting for it!

Associate
Anybody seen a decent review of the Asrock boards yet? Saw one Linux guy on YT with a Taichung, but not very informative

Toms hardware have posted a review today: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/asrock-x370-taichi-amd-ryzen-am4-atx-motherboard,review-33826.html

It gets a great write up. "Verdict: The ASRock X370 Taichi is perfect for those wanting to jump into the deep end of Zen for a long-term system build. This board is meant to be used with LEDs, windows, swagger, and posted to YouTube for the world to see."

Back
Top Bottom