Poll: What AM4 motherboard will you be getting?

What manufacturer AM4 will you be buying?

• Asus

Votes: 93 33.0%
  • Asrock

Votes: 66 23.4%
  • Gigabyte

Votes: 81 28.7%
  • MSI

Votes: 37 13.1%
  • other.

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
Associate
Which motherboard is this?
I´m still trying to figure out the difference between the MSI Carbon and Titanium which would justify the difference in price. But both of them look sexy AF :D
This is the Titanium X370 from MSI. You can download the manual from their website.
I was mostly interested in the connections for M.2 etc.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I´m still trying to figure out the difference between the MSI Carbon and Titanium which would justify the difference in price. But both of them look sexy AF :D

I've gone for the Carbon myself, I'm hoping after this huge wait they'll have spent the time getting the BIOS sorted out and have used what they learned from the early Mortar BIOS issues.

Associate
So, I think I may have made my b350m-a asus board stable, not sure yet, loads of testing to do. Firstly, I've managed to get the memory working at 2400 by running the D.O.C.P 2400 profile, this uses quite slack timings, but due to my maybe mistake, the Cosair LPX modules I have are slow timings anyway and not what they are now (over a year old these modules). Funny how my old intel system didn't mind though!

The other thing which I think is the biggest thing in being able to OC is cooling on the CPU voltage regulators - the prime board has no heatsinks - I've spun the system fan around and cpu fan to blow down into the case, right across the top of the regulators - I'm now benching this system and testing with realbench and prime95 at 3.9ghz and 1.3875vcore... might try 4ghz just for a laugh!

Soldato
Firstly, I've managed to get the memory working at 2400 by running the D.O.C.P 2400 profile, this uses quite slack timings, but due to my maybe mistake, the Cosair LPX modules I have are slow timings anyway and not what they are now (over a year old these modules). Funny how my old intel system didn't mind though!
!
How do you do that? Where in the bios is it

Last edited:
Associate
Its right at the top of the page in AI tweak page thingy.

I think I may have sorted things even further - It seems that perhaps one of my memory modules were bad too... After posting the above, i tried a little more the 3.9ghz and it crashed. Restart and reset bios and it would crash under benching, even at stock speeds. I noticed one of the memory modules was a little warm compared to the other, so pulled it, and tried with 8gb... solid 3.9ghz. thought I would push my luck and chuck in a cosair value 4gb module, a 2133mhz one, and try and run it with the other at 2400mhz and the DOCP timings - weirdly, it worked! so it might be that this other module was bad.

Funny though how it has been working for year+ in my other system. It seems ryzen is very very very sensitive to crappy modules (doesnt seem to care about mixed modules though)....

All very strange this...

Soldato
Its right at the top of the page in AI tweak page thingy.

I think I may have sorted things even further - It seems that perhaps one of my memory modules were bad too... After posting the above, i tried a little more the 3.9ghz and it crashed. Restart and reset bios and it would crash under benching, even at stock speeds. I noticed one of the memory modules was a little warm compared to the other, so pulled it, and tried with 8gb... solid 3.9ghz. thought I would push my luck and chuck in a cosair value 4gb module, a 2133mhz one, and try and run it with the other at 2400mhz and the DOCP timings - weirdly, it worked! so it might be that this other module was bad.

Funny though how it has been working for year+ in my other system. It seems ryzen is very very very sensitive to crappy modules (doesnt seem to care about mixed modules though)....

All very strange this...
Nice one mate

HeX

HeX

Soldato
It's crazy, my friend in the US just walked into his local place and picked up a Titanium and a Pro Carbon for his friend last night and they had a bunch more on the shelves.

Soldato
Really does need a decent mATX board, only thing stopping me at the moment.

Hoping the Mortar works out but looking at the boards that seem reliable they have more VRM than the mATX offerings :(

Associate
Quick update on my previous ranting on the Asus B350M-A Matx board... I think I might have it running perfectly. So, my Cosair Vengeance LPX 2400 stuff really did not work in it at all, it would be unstable at 2400, somewhat stable at 2133 and completely unstable with any sor of Ryzen OC, no matter how slack the timings were.

Move on to a same day order with the rainforest people today and I picked up G.Skill Ripjaws, 2*8GB modules, 3000mhz 15-16-16-35 timings and bunged it in expecting now all that much. Alas, I am now sat here at 2926mhz on these, though it seems to only let me set Cas16 for some reason, might be a limit on cas speeds over a certain mhz I guess...

Either way, so far, rock solid, no crashes, very fast and not a bad price for these modules considering the market right now!

So, to summarise, these boards only like certain memory, are incredibly picky. Might not be the board though, could be Ryzen in general is pickey and boards don't make that much difference? Seems everyone and their dog is having memory problems!

Back
Top Bottom