What are the 30 year old plus gamers playing?

Man of Honour
Weapon Shop Fantasy. I picked it up for almost nothing on a Steam sale while I was waiting for Borderlands 3 to download (~28 hours on my archaic connection) as I could see it would be very small and thus download quickly. Simple, grindy, childish, minimal dialogue that seems to have been translated (not particularly well) from another language (probably Japanese). It's much better than the writing for Borderlands 3.

Borderlands 3 something edition. Maybe it's called money grab edition 1 please pay again for the same game but slightly different. Unstable, buggy, bad loading times and with atrociously bad writing. A shame, as they've done a good job on the graphics and the game and gameplay are fine. But only fine and the writing is very bad. I'm glad I only paid £25 for it, but I'd have been gladder if I hadn't bought it at all. I'll finish it once, then uninstall it. I only have 1TB of SSD space, so I don't want to waste ~150GB on something I probably won't ever play again.

Imperium Romanum gold edition. Another "something to do while I'm waiting" and also a bit of nostalgia as I remember playing the original version years ago. The gold edition has some DLC, so that will be new to me. A simple city-building game. Town rather than city, really.

I bought 8 games on that session of "while I'm waiting". I've already forgotten what half of them were. Par for the course for me. I have a slew of games I've bought and never played.

Permabanned
43 here.

I have a 4 year old so its harder to play online games now as everyone is so far ahead of me, progression and practice wise. I tend to mainly play AAA, single player titles as I was lucky enough to get a 3090 at MSRP on launch to experience them on.

Last few games Ive played were...

Cyberpunk (completed).
Resident Evil Village I played through twice and started a 3rd on hard with the magnum/sniper and grenade launcher with infinite ammo.
Control.
Started Metro Exodus enhanced edition to see how pretty it was.
Gears 5 revisted after playing ity through when it came out.
Baldurs gate 3.

I know Im a bit of a graphics w**** but I dont smoke or drink and if Im going to game I like it to be the best experience I can get while Im doing it.

Soldato
32,I play Rust.

Although getting a bit bored of it lately, its super hard to play solo and keep a base going when you are working most of the time lol.

Rusty spoon seems good if you just want to build for a while then have a mad few days before wipe. Haven’t played much but they are a friendly bunch

Associate
46 here, been playing since my spectrum 48k days I like sci fi gubbins - a lot of elite dangerous, Eve online since 2009, fallout 76 - can't really play anything current at decent frame rates as I'm agonisingly trying to source a new card, my F5 key has pretty much burned out the last two Thursdays I play a variety of games tbh, just got stellaris

Associate
46 here and I am a sucker for RPGs and Roguelikes, alternate between modern stuff and classic old games. Completed(ish) Darkest Dungeon recently and am now working through the nostalgic classics that are the SSI Gold Box set which got me into RPGs in the first place, and set the groundwork in place for Baldur's Gate and Planescape, can't wait for Baldur's Gate 3 full version.

Man of Honour
Stopped playing Eve online, still glad I spent so much time on it.

Semi recently started wow again, but only really on when raiding.

Still very active on warzon, mw & cwbo waiting for the new battlefield.

I'd love to still play Eve (or at least the 2013 or so game) but the direction they have gone with it and the developer approach to changes has just left me completely disinterested. That and when I last played the nature of wormhole space had moved on so much from late 2009/early 2010 - it was a very unique experience when large amounts of it were uninhabited, lots of stuff unknown or poorly mapped, etc. what got me into the game was watching my brother and a small group of friends prepare for and move from null into a C5 or C6 running sites with dreads, etc. quite a bit of the normal game didn't really interest me either.

Currently back to City of Heroes - setup a private server for myself - a lot of recent games just do nothing for me.

Soldato
36. Overwatch pretty much exclusively.

I was playing Valorant and loving it, but I hurt my wrist damage picking something up awkwardly. It's left me using a vertical mouse and I just can't get back to the level of mechanical skills required to enjoy Valorant now.

Soldato
33. playing a fair bit of destiny 2 on pc, but picked up mass effect legendary edition pc, cant wait to play again especially the re-worked first game, the graphics look the business finally, the whole franchise is an amazing roller coster and the only thing that let it down was graphics but in 2008 things were very diffrent for the first game, 2 and 3 were great and most importantly looked good too :)

Last edited:
Associate
90s gamer, still playing overwatch. What a brilliant game. Gaming perfection when played correctly but sadly abused and broken by the pros exploiting the balance.

Associate
Has anyone played mount and blade 2? Im 35, played the original for countless hours when i was mid twenties.

Anyway i picked up number two a few months back, put maybe 10 hours into it and havent touched it since. I cant decide what the reason is

1. Its fundamentally the same game as the first, so was always going to get bored quicker
2. Im older now and find my attention lacking on single player offline titles
3. I dont have the time to plough into that type of game

I think a mixture of the 3, and probably now why the only games i play are racing games or FPS online

Soldato
So I'm 52 go waay back to spectrum and Amiga gaming. I have a sapphire nitro 6800XT I bought on here new it cost me £859 which now crazily is considered a bargain lol. I also have an Xbox series X which is gathering dust at the moment. Why? Valhiem, that's all I've been playing for months on my pc. It's the greatest £15 I've ever invested in a game ever. I only play solo and I've managed to take out 3 bosses so far. I just love the way you can do things at your own pace. I'm sufficiently hard enough now to tackle the mountains and also plains killed my first death squitto the other day it felt good and now I'm not afraid. :p

Back
Top Bottom