What are the 30 year old plus gamers playing?

Associate
I have a few on the go at the moment:

Outriders - much improved since they increased Legendary drop rates.
Hades - An absolute gem of a game and really has me hooked at the moment.
Death Stranding - I was really into this, but then took a week off due to busy work schedule and just dont fancy getting back into it. It's just not pulling me back. I think I need to force myself to play it.
Knockout City - good fun, worth a look.

Associate
After a long time, I managed to pass level 10 in Dungeonmans and reached level 11 with a shielded fightermans in light armour.

Light armour gives you two life shields, the HP on each affected by your 'stremf' stat, which is the only stat needed by a melee shield tank.

I had over 700 HP, and my light armour shields added another 800 with damage reductions on top (one shield gives physical damage reduction, the other elemental).

Except theres also a Wizard skill tree that adds a 'swap buffs' skill, which the enemy mages of that class have.

Enter the boss fight of a level 10+ dungeon and such an enemy mage spawns. I cast my shield. Enemy mage steals my shield. I drop dead in one round from taking full damage from the boss and other trash mobs.

The debuff skill is the only way the game curbs the overpoweredness of a fighter in light shields, and the chance of getting a debuff mage in a boss fight is pure RNG.

I am beyond salty mad, but here I go at it again with adventuremans number 5000.

Associate
Just finished Horizon Zero Dawn and to be honest, I'm glad it's over - I can see why some people rate it (there's a lot to like) but much of the game grated on me so I ended up skipping a bunch of the side content (and all of the DLC) just to get to the end of the story.

Next up is finishing Lego Builder's Journey (which is delightful, if a little expensive for what it is) then I'll probably jump back into Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition which I've been enjoying in short bursts. I just picked up Doom Eternal too so I'll probably switch back and forth between those two for a bit.

Associate
After a long time, I managed to pass level 10 in Dungeonmans and reached level 11 with a shielded fightermans in light armour.

Light armour gives you two life shields, the HP on each affected by your 'stremf' stat, which is the only stat needed by a melee shield tank.

I had over 700 HP, and my light armour shields added another 800 with damage reductions on top (one shield gives physical damage reduction, the other elemental).

Except theres also a Wizard skill tree that adds a 'swap buffs' skill, which the enemy mages of that class have.

Enter the boss fight of a level 10+ dungeon and such an enemy mage spawns. I cast my shield. Enemy mage steals my shield. I drop dead in one round from taking full damage from the boss and other trash mobs.

The debuff skill is the only way the game curbs the overpoweredness of a fighter in light shields, and the chance of getting a debuff mage in a boss fight is pure RNG.

I am beyond salty mad, but here I go at it again with adventuremans number 5000.

I'ma give this a play tonight, been looking for a rogue dungeon crawler, cheers :D

EDIT: £3.62 on steam, niiice

Last edited:
Associate
Got to admit, Metro Exodus is the best game I've played this year.

Yeah, there's something about it - not quite as polished as some other recent games I've played (although pretty much bug-free so far, which is in itself a sad rarity) but the whole thing is just so earnest in its storytelling - I really do like the Spartans :)

Of course, the best storytelling in the world can't help a bad game, but Metro has some terrific gameplay too.

Soldato
Mass-Effect-Legendary-Edition-Screenshot-2021-07-04-15-54-56-11.png

Just finished Mass Effect Legendary Edition.

It was always one of my favourite single player franchises so getting the chance/excuse to run through all the games in one nicely presented package was a real joy and treat.

I don't think there is a gaming franchise that gets the same feeling out of me.

It's all I've played since it's release so I feel a bit lost now.

Associate
I'ma give this a play tonight, been looking for a rogue dungeon crawler, cheers :D

EDIT: £3.62 on steam, niiice

And then I forget to cast the shield or drink potions = many deaths.

I got two level 10s now, at which point if they die they become a ghost professor, or you can retire them for a living professor or open a tavern to sell all the loots you have to your next char.

The professors fully unlock a skill line picked at random from any maxed 3/3 lines for free, and my first two got the dual wield line plus melee buff banner, meaning all my new chars can be fully pimped duelists. You end up becoming both overpowered and racking up hundreds of dead characters along the way, but still go squish easy if you don't pay attention and keep stocked up on potions. Each dead characters stat increasing 'proofs of stremf' carry over to new characters (+2 points to the character that finds them, +1 per proof to future characters). I'm at around +300 stat points and two full melee lines for new characters and still keep going squish to stupid reasons.

Light armour basically more than doubles your HP, medium maxes dodge and heavy has the most damage reduction. Light armour's shields eat up your stamina, so its a poor pick on a class that uses a lot of stamina for their normal skills (mainly Archer), but it seems to work for everything else and gives you two 'OH **** INSTANT +several hundred HP shield and chug a potion'.

Then you will make the mistake of thinking your shields alone will save you on low HP and die a lot from trying to conserve potions. Just visit all the towns and buy all the health, stamina and battle champion potions you can afford and use liberally.

Also they just added a free pet update after 7 years to the game which is what got me playing it, except I already have a couple of hundred of chickens running around my academy because I had to keep them all.

They make a great distraction in boss fights and are quite tanky keeping damage off your character, but ffs you end up with hundreds of them running around your base and can only use one at a time.

And I haven't even tried breeding them yet, I think the goal is to try and fill up every tile in the academy with chickens.

'Oooh yay, a hall of champions portal yes please! So many proofs of stremf to collect' ..... Death by getting bum loved by 10 champion bosses.

Last edited:
Associate
And then I forget to cast the shield or drink potions = many deaths.

I got two level 10s now, at which point if they die they become a ghost professor, or you can retire them for a loving professor or open a tavern to sell all the loots you have to your next char.

The professors fully unlock a skill line picked at random from any maxed 3/3 lines for free, and my first two got the dual wield line plus melee buff banner, meaning all my new chars can be fully pimped duelists. You end up becoming both overpowered and racking up hundreds of dead characters along the way, but still go squish easy if you don't pay attention and keep stocked up on potions. Each dead characters stat increasing 'proofs of stremf' carry over to new characters (+2 points to the character that finds them, +1 per proof to future characters). I'm at around +300 stat points and two full melee lines for new characters and still keep going squish to stupid reasons.

Light armour basically more than doubles your HP, medium maxes dodge and heavy has the most damage reduction. Light armour's shields eat up your stamina, so its a poor pick on a class that uses a lot of stamina for their normal skills (mainly Archer), but it seems to work for everything else and gives you two 'OH **** INSTANT +several hundred HP shield and chug a potion'.

Then you will make the mistake of thinking your shields alone will save you on low HP and die a lot from trying to conserve potions. Just visit all the towns and buy all the health, stamina and battle champion potions you can afford and use liberally.

Thanks for the tips, just finished work, getting the kids settled and then it's game time :cool::cool:

Associate
Thanks for the tips, just finished work, getting the kids settled and then it's game time :cool::cool:

Theres a rogue like bundle with another game called Pit Of Osmium for £1.79 / £3 with all DLC, and I'm assuming you already have TOME if not its the single most superior game in this genre.

There were a couple of others too for a fiver but with much worse dos game type graphics so I'm skipping them.

Dungeonmans is extremely fast paced compared to TOME, you can reach level 10 in a couple hours and 15 is max, but you will lose a whole legion of characters before figuring out how to beat the dungeons.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just tried Death Stranding...

Had to take a break after 6 hours straight.

The game is a modern day masterpiece!

I cannot remember the last time I had to turn my machine off to be sensible, literally could not stop playing it.

Fascinating game.

Associate
I cannot remember the last time I had to turn my machine off to be sensible, literally could not stop playing it.

I love when that happens! Cyberpunk was the last game that really gripped me - luckily I'd avoided all the pre-launch hype (and post-launch outcry) and started playing from v1.22 - still disappointing when you consider what it could have been, but I had a blast playing it while it lasted.

Associate
Just tried Death Stranding...

Had to take a break after 6 hours straight.

The game is a modern day masterpiece!

Fascinating game.

Let us know how you get on with it the further you get in. Like i said previously I was hooked, but cant seem to find the will to get back into it. The first few hours I was thinking "masterpiece" as well - the way the music kicks in as your are on a home straight!!

Soldato
Mass-Effect-Legendary-Edition-Screenshot-2021-07-04-15-54-56-11.png

Just finished Mass Effect Legendary Edition.

It was always one of my favourite single player franchises so getting the chance/excuse to run through all the games in one nicely presented package was a real joy and treat.

I don't think there is a gaming franchise that gets the same feeling out of me.

It's all I've played since it's release so I feel a bit lost now.

Sounds like it's time for another run as the opposite alignment and a new character type!

Back
Top Bottom