What book are you reading...

Associate
Just finished Winter of the World by Ken Follett, the 2nd in the Century trilogy.

Have thoroughly enjoyed both books, now have to wait until September for the release of the conclusion Edge of Eternity.

Associate
How the Immune System Works by Lauren Sompayrac

A real page turner.

The sort of thing that would be great to know about but the learning... oh the boring learning... :(

Not long started The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Finding it a bit of a slog so far tbh thanks in part I think to a slightly odd writing style (or at least to my not particually well read eyes). Things like no quotation marks and lack of punctuation. I'm not sure if this is to add to the utter bleakness and greyness of the world as I seem to read it in monotone, if that make sense? So I guess it is doing its job..?
Either that or because I have already seen the film I'm tuned in to the atmosphere already.

I'm sure I'll love it when I've spent a bit loinger with it.
I've currently read 30ish pages :cool:

Permabanned
Young Bloods by Simon Scarrow

This is the first of four in the Revolution series of books that are about the french revolution. Quite a dense read and also is obviously the first in the series as very little interesting happens! The book concerns the adolescent lives of Napoleon and Arthur Wesley (who becomes Wellington), I find it a bit cynical as I will have to buy the rest of the books to get a sense of completion.

Soldato
Ok, I just finished the first King, Dark Tower book. And I have no idea what I just read!

It reads like a bad dream I might have had after eating 1kg of cheese while falling asleep in front of a subtitled Spanish homage to Westerns. Or rather, a dream King might have had after falling asleep playing the Zombie DLC for Red Dead Redemption.

I have no idea whether I want to read any more of these. I'm curious but in a "what the heck?" kind of way.

Soldato
I found the Dark Tower books a bit difficult to get in to as well. I finished the first one months ago, and have the second but haven't started it, and don't really feel the urge to tbh.

Soldato
Just read Post Office by Charles Bukowski in about 6 hour as.

Amazing book, fantastically well written and does not pull a punch. One of the better books I have ever read and paints a grim picture in a blackly humourous way.

Read it!

Man of Honour
Nearing the end of third game of thrones book. I love the world and many of the characters. Writing is so so in places but thoroughly enjoyable.

Soldato
Ok, I just finished the first King, Dark Tower book. And I have no idea what I just read!

It reads like a bad dream I might have had after eating 1kg of cheese while falling asleep in front of a subtitled Spanish homage to Westerns. Or rather, a dream King might have had after falling asleep playing the Zombie DLC for Red Dead Redemption.

I have no idea whether I want to read any more of these. I'm curious but in a "what the heck?" kind of way.
I read the first one a while ago. It really wasn't that good, and did nothing to make me want to read the following books.

You are in for a treat, i thought the first 3 Sharpe books were really good. I finished Sharpe's Gold (no.9) a few weeks back, there are a few weaker books in the series, but also some good ones.
Just finished Sharpe's Tiger. It was well written and the fact that the story is based on a historical event, made it more interesting to me. I enjoyed it and will probably read the following books at some point.

Now I'm on to The Cuckoo's Calling by Robery Galbraith (J.K Rowling)

Associate
I am about halfway through Silk by Caitlin R Kiernan. It's a real stream of consciousness kind of thing. No real story as such (yet at least) but wonderful character building. Anyone who has been into subculture, goth etc would enjoy it I should think, and it has undertones of a bit of horror to come.

Soldato
I found the Dark Tower books a bit difficult to get in to as well. I finished the first one months ago, and have the second but haven't started it, and don't really feel the urge to tbh.

The second book is very much better than the first, I liked the first but book two was when I really got into the series :)

One

One

Soldato
Just read Post Office by Charles Bukowski in about 6 hour as.

Amazing book, fantastically well written and does not pull a punch. One of the better books I have ever read and paints a grim picture in a blackly humourous way.

Read it!

It's great. Factotum is perhaps even grittier in places, then you have Women which is one the most desperate/hilarious books ever. I still have Ham on Rye and Pulp to read which I look forward to. Such an awesome author he even makes me want to try out some of his poetry.

Associate
It's great. Factotum is perhaps even grittier in places, then you have Women which is one the most desperate/hilarious books ever. I still have Ham on Rye and Pulp to read which I look forward to. Such an awesome author he even makes me want to try out some of his poetry.

Agreed

Bukowoski is a required read in my humble opinion.

Associate
Not long started The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Finding it a bit of a slog so far tbh thanks in part I think to a slightly odd writing style (or at least to my not particually well read eyes). Things like no quotation marks and lack of punctuation. I'm not sure if this is to add to the utter bleakness and greyness of the world as I seem to read it in monotone, if that make sense? So I guess it is doing its job..?
Either that or because I have already seen the film I'm tuned in to the atmosphere already.

I'm sure I'll love it when I've spent a bit loinger with it.
I've currently read 30ish pages :cool:

Its bleak and depressing to the last word. No idea how this book is so popular.

Currently reading Atlas Strugged by Ayn Rand. Not even half-way through it yet, its over 1000 pages. Excellent story and expertly written.

Soldato
^^
I quite liked 'the road'. It doesn't really pull any punches when examining the breakup of civilisation. That it never really explains what catastrophe came to end the world doesn't really detract from the story, as it throws the reader into the journey of the man and the boy as they travel through a life the man has seen unmade, and a life the boy has only ever known.

It's about as bleak as Lucifer's Hammer (jerry pournelle/larry niven) or Death of Grass (john christopher).
So, yeah, pretty bleak :p

Currently reading The Deep Silence/Rendezvous- South Atlantic (douglas reeman)

Man of Honour
The Martian by Andy Weir, started yesterday, finished this morning. Great book.
Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there. After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive-and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive. Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plainold ""human error"" are much more likely to kill him first. But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills-and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit-he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?"

Soldato
Just finished the first Dark Tower book. But strange at times but rewarding, certainly the ending and the concepts he introduced were fantastic. Really enjoyed it and will be purchasing book 2 shortly.

Reading Redbreat by Jo Nesbo now.

Back
Top Bottom