What book are you reading...

Associate
Doing something I never normally do, which is to have two books on the go simultaneously. The first is the King of Thorns ( part 2 of the Broken Empire trilogy ), and the second is The Time Traveller's Almanac ; a collection of sci-fi short stories.

I'm really enjoying the Broken Empire trilogy ; the protagonist is almost the perfect example of an antihero, yet somehow the author manages to make the reader almost care for him. The prose is nice and crisp, and flows easily ( for me at least ).

As for the Time Traveller's Almanac ; a great collection of short stories from classic and contemporary sci-fi authors. Just perfect for digesting a short story, or two, before putting out the lights at night.

Oh, and after a long period of consideration I've finally bought the first Dresden Files novel for my Kindle. Will probably tackle it next ...

Commissario
I read "The mote in gods eye" by Niven and Pournelle over the last week or so, which I'm sure I've read before but can't quite remember (I kept half remembering bits, and they're both authors whose work I've read a lot of in the past), it was a good read :)

I'm currently reading the second of the "motie" books "The gripping hand", which again is ringing a bell, but I can't place it :)
I suspect I may have read them 10-15 or so years ago which would explain the vague feeling of having read them before.

Associate
Currently re-reading 'I, Robot' by Isaac Asimov.

I know it's going to be fantastic, because it always is. Genuinely happy to have stumbled across this again.

Soldato
Just finished the second of Gemmell's Rigante books; it's Gemmell being Gemmell, which is all that's required. :) I'm not sure I want to move on to the third yet though, as it's not a direct follow on with the same character. So I'm contemplating shifting to Daemon by Daniel Suarez. I've tried to start Daemon before and it failed to draw me in, but I keep hearing good things said about it and the sequel, Freedom.

I need to start something soon though, because after NowTV let me down with Game of Thrones availability I've a GoT itch that needs scratching, and I'm not sure I fancy disappearing down the Martin rabbit hole for six months again. Not until the next book's out anyway. :)

Associate
Currently re-reading 'I, Robot' by Isaac Asimov.

I know it's going to be fantastic, because it always is. Genuinely happy to have stumbled across this again.

One of Asimov's books will be my next :) Are they easy to read? English is not my first language. I'm currently reading Hannibal Lecter's saga and I can understand 99% of it.

Soldato
Just finished the second of Gemmell's Rigante books; it's Gemmell being Gemmell, which is all that's required. :) I'm not sure I want to move on to the third yet though, as it's not a direct follow on with the same character. So I'm contemplating shifting to Daemon by Daniel Suarez. I've tried to start Daemon before and it failed to draw me in, but I keep hearing good things said about it and the sequel, Freedom.

I need to start something soon though, because after NowTV let me down with Game of Thrones availability I've a GoT itch that needs scratching, and I'm not sure I fancy disappearing down the Martin rabbit hole for six months again. Not until the next book's out anyway. :)

The third and fourth Rigiante Books are just as good, i can recommend them :)

Soldato
I totally out of the blue had the urge to re-read Slaughterhouse 5 the other day. Did the whole thing in a night. Loved it all over again. Tbh, I couldn't remember much about it, it must have been one of the first books I really read.

Associate

The biggest risk with the GoT books is that RR Martin kicks the bucket before he finishes the saga ;)

Associate
One of Asimov's books will be my next :) Are they easy to read? English is not my first language. I'm currently reading Hannibal Lecter's saga and I can understand 99% of it.

I, Robot - The language is simple but the terminology is very, very dated. Also because it was written a long time ago (published in 1950!) it was set in the future.

This means that by the year 2000, families could afford robot nannies, mining colonies were set up on the moon and mars, and robots were built using cogs, gears and human ingenuity.

It's an absolutely fascinating read.

If you're trying something like the Foundation series, you'll be in for a similar ride - a mixture of quaint and futuristic.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
David Attenborough - Life on Air: Memoirs of a Broadcaster
His career as a naturalist and broadcaster has spanned nearly five decades and there are very few places on the globe that he has not visited. In this volume of memoirs David tells stories of the people and animals he has met and the places that he has visited.

Over the last 25 years he has established himself as the world's leading Natural History programme maker with several landmark BBC series, most recently the hugely popular Life and Blue Planet, alongside Life on Earth, The Living Planet, The Trials of Life, The Private Life of Plants, and Life of Birds.

Really enjoying it so far.

Associate
Finished Skin game last week (didn't quite pull the all nights but did finish it on the Saturday)

Currently reading War of the Worlds: Aftermath by Tony Wright, not exactly a deep read but should keep me occupied a couple of days on breaks and in the errr office, should line up about right for the new Iron Druid book next week (for those who've been enjoying the Dresden files in this thread I'd recommend that series as well)

Last edited:
Soldato
Just finished The Cuckoo's Calling by Robery Galbraith (J.K Rowling). It's OK I guess. A decent story although why the story comes about is a bit silly when you get to the ending. Whilst nothing particularly exciting happens, it does pull you along nicely so you don't get bored.

Now reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. The remarkable story of Louis Zamperini; Olympic athlete and then Japanese prisoner of war.

Soldato
Just finished Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time. Really enjoyed the whole thing - even the rubbish books in the middle of the series!

I was really looking forward to getting it finished as I've been reading it on and off for about 12 years but do certainly feel a bit strange now it's done. I read through to book 8 12 years ago, then to book 5 a decade ago and then finally picked up TEOTW in September last year - so essentially I've the various 14 books a total of 27 times... and have only just completed the series!

Probably went into the final few books a bit naive and didn't expect the killing off of a number key and peripheral characters, and there were certainly a few which came out of the blue... but which I probably should have seen coming.
I read TEOTW through to AMOL without picking up anything else, so I'm really looking forward to reading something under 400 pages and which preferably isn't fantasy! :)

Soldato
"Kenobi" by John Jackson Miller. This is the story of Kenobi setting himself up on Tatooine after the events at the end of RotS. It has a very Western feel to it and is quite good so far.

Associate
I, Robot - The language is simple but the terminology is very, very dated. Also because it was written a long time ago (published in 1950!) it was set in the future.

This means that by the year 2000, families could afford robot nannies, mining colonies were set up on the moon and mars, and robots were built using cogs, gears and human ingenuity.

It's an absolutely fascinating read.

If you're trying something like the Foundation series, you'll be in for a similar ride - a mixture of quaint and futuristic.

If you like Asimov then I recommend Philip K Dick.

thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom