What book are you reading...

Caporegime
Just finished a Star Wars Novel called 'Millenium Falcon,' by James Lucerno - enjoyable story with a happy ending!

Is that the one where they find something in the falcon magically after x years of having it. If so like most of the EU I thought it was drivel :( They clearly ran out of ideas for the main cast in the EU. No one seemed to be able to make a bold decision to start killing them off.

Man of Honour
Harry Bosch series - echo book a really good instalment to the series. I'm glad I still have lots left to get through. Think that was book 11 or 20

Now in to Do No Harm - Henry Msrsh
What is it really like to be a brain surgeon, to hold someone's life in your hands, to drill down into the stuff that creates thought, feeling and reason?

In this brutally honest account, one of the country's top neurosurgeons reveals what it is to play god in life-and-death situations. Henry Marsh gives us a rare insight into the intense drama of the operating theatre and the exquisite complexity of the human brain.

It's another purchase thanks to this thread, can't remember who posted about it.

Associate
Just read 'Wayward' which is the second book in the Wayward Pines trilogy. I said after I'd read the first one that it seemed to go off one one towards to end. The second one follows this same path but I actually really enjoyed it! Roll on the finale!

Associate
'Touching the void' by Joe Simpson, telling the true story first hand of a climbing expedition gone wrong. Good writing style, not too 'techy' in it's descriptions of climbs that it's unassailable (forgive the pun) for the average reader and genuinely gripping at points. Highly recommend it.

Associate
Harry Bosch series - echo book a really good instalment to the series. I'm glad I still have lots left to get through. Think that was book 11 or 20

Now in to Do No Harm - Henry Msrsh

It's another purchase thanks to this thread, can't remember who posted about it.

I'm yet to read this but bought a signed copy recently when I went to a lecture he gave locally. Really interesting guy! Will look forward to picking the book up.

Soldato
The most enjoyable book for a long time for me was 'Silk road' by Colin Falconer

The story of a Friar & his Templar guard going on an epic journey to the edge of the known world to find Ghengis Khan & try to convert him to Christianity. The Tatar daughter of a local Khan guides them across the roof of the world to the great wall of China.

Caporegime
'Touching the void' by Joe Simpson, telling the true story first hand of a climbing expedition gone wrong. Good writing style, not too 'techy' in it's descriptions of climbs that it's unassailable (forgive the pun) for the average reader and genuinely gripping at points. Highly recommend it.

The documentary is good

Soldato
After a few positive mentions here, I read Act of Caine: Heroes Die.
Disappointing :(. I didn't know what to expect, but the theme is not entirely dissimilar to that of The Running Man really. I didn't like the futuristic world at all, the fantasy world was a little better but not great. I don't think either of them were brought to life particularly well. I didn't like any of the characters much, and whilst the story was quite dark and gritty, the ending was a bed of lovely smelling roses, which was a let down.
I guess I'm not really a fan of modern futuristic Sci-Fi, I won't be reading the rest of the books.

Associate
Plowing through the Game of Thrones books. A little over a quarter of the way through Clash of Kings and loving it (I've read up to halfway through a Feast with Crows before - but gave up). I really enjoy Tyrion and Arya chapters. I've not read the last two books and can hardly remember anything from Feast of Crows other than it was dull on first read...

Associate
Plowing through the Game of Thrones books. A little over a quarter of the way through Clash of Kings and loving it (I've read up to halfway through a Feast with Crows before - but gave up). I really enjoy Tyrion and Arya chapters. I've not read the last two books and can hardly remember anything from Feast of Crows other than it was dull on first read...

In my opinion a Feast for Crows is the most boring book, and the first three are easily the best.

I'm currently reading Peter Heather's the Fall of the Roman Empire. I'm pretty knowledgeable on the subject already, but interested to read his perspective.

Soldato
After a few positive mentions here, I read Act of Caine: Heroes Die.
Disappointing :(. I didn't know what to expect, but the theme is not entirely dissimilar to that of The Running Man really. I didn't like the futuristic world at all, the fantasy world was a little better but not great. I don't think either of them were brought to life particularly well. I didn't like any of the characters much, and whilst the story was quite dark and gritty, the ending was a bed of lovely smelling roses, which was a let down.
I guess I'm not really a fan of modern futuristic Sci-Fi, I won't be reading the rest of the books.
Read the second book!

After reading the first Skullborn trilogy book, City of Scars by Steven Montano I went and read all 7 Blood Skies books by the same author. Very cool concept and vision but the writing isn't stellar, it's like a series of WH40k novels set in a post-apocalyptic vampire world so you could probably condense the whole 7 books into a decent trilogy if you left out the gratuitous blood-splatter :p I enjoyed it but at times it did feel like plugging away through yet another "heads explode and the undead crowd is mown down etc etc" just to get to the next good bit of the story :p

Going back to the second Skullborn book, the world building and concept is excellent and the writing is noticeably better and more well balanced so enjoying it very much!

Last edited:
Soldato
"The Space Vampires" by Colin Wilson. This is the book that "Lifeforce" (oh, Matilda May) was based on. Very different to the book but a light, entertaining read nonetheless. It's obvious why they changed the story for the film though as the book's plot is very internalised and would be hard to film. That and the fact that sex sells, of course. :)

Soldato
Started reading the Martian yesterday, just can't stop, best book I've read in a long time :)

I just started reading this on the back of the trailer ( I am a nerd for anything sci-fi) and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Currently about 50% through it (after 2 days). Great read. I dont understand 100% of all of the science although Weir does do a great job of trying to break it down in layman's terms.

Soldato
Finished it earlier, what a great book, will most certainly be re-reading it sometime and I really hope they don't mess the film up too much now :)

Back
Top Bottom