What book are you reading...

Soldato
Er, it's book three of a set of (eventually) seven. And weaker again than books one and two.

Apologies - I meant the last one that has so far been released.

Just finished it, as you said not as good as the first two books but still an enjoyable read.

Soldato
Firefight. The second book in a trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. I'm actually listening to the audiobook which is probably a good thing because otherwise I suspect I'd be up all night doing the whole "just one more page" thing. Absolutely brilliant and it confirms my opinion that he's my favourite author by some distance.

Man of Honour
I need some more novels.
Does anyone know nay good, space colonisation, first interstellar travel first contact type SCI fi?
Already done, the Rama series, pushing ice, red mars seriea, aurora

Soldato
Probably read it but someone recommended Revelation Space to me though I haven't picked it up yet.

I've got 3 books on the go really trying to finish a re read of forge of darkness primarily as fall of the light is out this Thursday :D

Man of Honour
Thanks I will take a look.

Got so many science books, but I like to rotate. One science/bio then one story.
Got enough science type stuff to last years.

Caporegime
Just got Fear the Sky, looking for something to read and looking for space type sci fi series this seemed to get good reviews.

Through boredom I went through Ready Player One again and tbh on second reading I wasn't impressed as I was the first time. Story is just too convienient on reading again. Stuff I didn't notice the first time I found sloppy on a re-run.

Soldato
I picked up Fear the Sky on your recommendation Glaucus and I'm really struggling the writing is horrific, an example;

As she said, she remembered, with a well hidden smile, the name of the incident, and hoped her reading habits, .......

It's death by comma and I found it really jarring throughout.

Despite that I actually enjoy the idea but struggling to get past the writing. Does his writing improve at any point? I'd put up with the pain, if there was some light at end of the tunnel, otherwise, I doubt I can, cope.

Soldato
Fair play if you went on audio books, how have you found it so far Danny?

Edit: having a quick look on the good reads review 3 of the 5 top rated reviews are 1/2 star and the other two both talk about how good the Audi book is as opposed to the written version. I drive plenty for work so I may give up the novel and grab the audio books instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well this is probably past due but I finally discovered The Lies of Locke Lamora - I'm ashamed to say I didn't read it until now as I was put off by the cover and the title. What a fantastic book, I can't think of an opening to a fantasy series that I have enjoyed anywhere near as much. If there are any of you here that haven't read it yet I'd move it to the very top of your list.

I started this last week (I tend to read for an hour before I fall asleep) and I'm hooked.
Fantasy, thieving, con artistry and amusing. I've got all of them to get through and so far I don't want it to end.

Caporegime
Fair play if you went on audio books, how have you found it so far Danny?.

I also do a couple of hours driving a day to work so got it on audio book. I really like the narrator and it isn't sounding poorly written so far, it's not hard work but I understand listening rather than reading takes away that.

I'm about 2 hrs in and really enjoyed the first hour, the hour on the way to work tonight was a bit more of a slog but I get why the start is slow.

Enjoying it so far :)

Man of Honour
Audio books sure have changed driving for me. Spend a couple of hours a day driving regularly upto 4hours, used to hate driving (due to amount if traffic compared to when I first passed my test). Now I don't mind at all, trundle along in a comfy seat with something to concentrate on.

Caporegime
Same, I have finished epics like 'all hell let loose' that when I saw it in the library the size would have put me off, but most books a shift and a half I'm done. Or something like GOT book lasts me a month. I love getting in the car, cruise control on and use that time more productively on a variety of different topics.

Soldato
Can someone help me out? I'm sure one of you here will know this. I'm trying to think of a novel I read years ago. Sci-fi with the plot revolving around an ancient race that left these gates iirc around that you can travel through(hold on a sec, I'm just realising this is Mass Effect!), but they could lead anywhere, and many people never come back. The main character goes on a few runs through them to try and get some loot to sell so he can get rich.

I'm really close to getting it, I just can't quite remember.

Back
Top Bottom