What book are you reading...

Man of Honour
Gateway by Frederik Pohl. A genuine classic of SF. There's four (IIRC) sequels which start badly and get worse, plus at least one short story which preceded the first of the novel series.

Soldato
Gateway by Frederik Pohl. A genuine classic of SF. There's four (IIRC) sequels which start badly and get worse, plus at least one short story which preceded the first of the novel series.

That's the one. Thanks a lot.

Ah, sequels not really worth it then. I remember enjoying it at the time. Any recommendations for a similar series? (I've done some of the big ones, Foundation, Lensman, Forever War)

Last edited:
Soldato
Recently finished Death of Kings (The Last Kingdom Series, Book 6) by Bernard Cornwell. Not sure if I've said it before, but it's the best series I've read.
Currently reading Blood Song and I'm very much enjoying it - story, world, characters and writing style. I almost hope that I don't enjoy it anymore so that I can leave the following books alone and start on The Lies of Locke Lamora, but I think that may have to wait.

Do you like the main Character? Vaelin Al Sorna? And just like you I loved the writing style. I don't think you will have to worry about the next two books. Apparently he changes his writing style a lot, It tells the story from the point of view of 4 or 5 characters. And the third book is supposed to be worse.

I haven't read the last two books as the review of both put me right off, so you might get to Locke Lamora sooner than you think.

Man of Honour
That's the one. Thanks a lot.

Ah, sequels not really worth it then. I remember enjoying it at the time. Any recommendations for a similar series? (I've done some of the big ones, Foundation, Lensman, Forever War)

There's nothing quite like Gateway - that's often true of classics. I'm also not generally a fan of series, as they generally hit the Law of Diminishing Returns around book three. That said, you'll probably like The Expanse books by James S A Corey. Only five out of a putative nine published so far. Pohl's standalone book Man Plus is a great book. I'd actually say that you should take a look at the Gollancz Classic SF series and just buy things from that.

Last edited:
Associate
Just finished The way of kings and words of radiance by Brandon Sanderson. After reading the mistborn trilogy I've really started to like sanderson's writing, although the way of kings was a little too slow in places (certain characters) however the words of radiance was soo much better and now I really can't wait for the next book in the series.

Next on my list is The first law trilogy, despite a family member telling me that I'd probably dislike the series I'm still finding myself wanting to read them just because there isn't a lot out atm that I'm really keen too read.

Soldato
Just finished The way of kings and words of radiance by Brandon Sanderson. After reading the mistborn trilogy I've really started to like sanderson's writing, although the way of kings was a little too slow in places (certain characters) however the words of radiance was soo much better and now I really can't wait for the next book in the series.

Next on my list is The first law trilogy, despite a family member telling me that I'd probably dislike the series I'm still finding myself wanting to read them just because there isn't a lot out atm that I'm really keen too read.

Enjoyed all of the ones you mentioned, check out the Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence as well if you get the chance.

Man of Honour
I always have to go back a while to see what I've already posted about...

I've read the last of Joe Abercrombie's Shattered Sea trilogy. As I think I said earlier, the change in style for teenagers is interesting, but at least it made the books a lot shorter. This brings me to one of many things that book companies do for marketing purposes that annoy me: in this case, taking a book clearly and explicitly written for teens and hiding any mention of this fact so they can flog it to adults as well. I heard this before I read the trilogy, so it wasn't a surprise. And this is certainly not intended to criticise books for teens: the best of them are the equal of the best of any books. The Earthsea books are for teens, and they are the best (IMNSHO) fantasies ever written. But it is dishonest.

I also read the third of the Expanse books (Abaddon's Gate) which was a major step forward from book two, and a big leap in a new direction.

Cixiu Liu's Three Body Problem was interesting, but I can't help feeling that it is overhyped. Translated books never really work, and it's hard to tell if the weaknesses are in the original or the translation. Worse, I got most of the way through it find that it's actually the first in a trilogy. This is another dishonest trick from publishers: publishing the first of set and not telling you that it is the first of a set. I know why they do it, and it's the reason I don't like it: because I read so many books I'll have forgotten most of it by the time I read book two (and again by book three etc) so I tend to wait and get all at once. Which the publishers are trying to avoid. Not me personally, obviously, just the general principle.

For light relief I read Lionheart and Lackland, a history book by Frank McLynn. Very informative (it's astonishing just how extant medieval records are) but very biased. He's clearly seen "Richard Good, John Bad" painted on the end of a barn (an Internet Point if you get the reference) and everything has been passed through that filter. Richard does something and it's great. John does exactly the same and it's because he's a villain. It's bad enough watching people in real life who can do no wrong (or no right) but history is supposed to give us time to look at every detail.

Currently I'm on The Girl With All The Gifts by M R Carey. It's a fairly original retake of an old theme, but Carey does tend to betray his origins as a comic book writer.

Man of Honour
almost finished yesterdays Gone season 1
enjoying it a lot, but no idea whats happening. I hope it starts to come together soonish as there's 6 seasons.

it's also a high end audible production, with a different voice actor for each of the main characters, which is great.

Start the First Season of the Groundbreaking Post-Apocalyptic Serial! Yesterday's Gone: Season One (episodes 1-6).

WARNING: This is a post-apocalyptic horror audiobook where bad people do evil things, and as such, this series features disturbing scenes and foul language. While it is all within the context of the story, some listeners may find this content offensive.

Can humanity survive what it never saw coming? On October 15 at 2:15 a.m. Earth vanished. A scattered few woke alone in a world with no rules, other than survival at any cost. A journalist wanders the wretched reality of an empty New York, searching for his wife and son. A serial killer must hunt in a land where prey is now an endangered species. A mother shields her young daughter from danger through every terror-filled breath.

A bullied teen is thrilled to find the world gone missing, until the knock on his door. A fugitive survives a fiery plane crash. Will he be redeemed, or return to the killing he's best at? An eight-year-old boy sets out on a journey to find his missing family, only to find something that will change him forever. These survivors aren't truly alone...Someone or something is watching them. And waiting...

Strangers unite. Sides are chosen. Can humanity survive what it never saw coming?

Last edited:
Soldato
I always have to go back a while to see what I've already posted about...

I've read the last of Joe Abercrombie's Shattered Sea trilogy. As I think I said earlier, the change in style for teenagers is interesting, but at least it made the books a lot shorter. This brings me to one of many things that book companies do for marketing purposes that annoy me: in this case, taking a book clearly and explicitly written for teens and hiding any mention of this fact so they can flog it to adults as well. I heard this before I read the trilogy, so it wasn't a surprise. And this is certainly not intended to criticise books for teens: the best of them are the equal of the best of any books. The Earthsea books are for teens, and they are the best (IMNSHO) fantasies ever written. But it is dishonest.

I also read the third of the Expanse books (Abaddon's Gate) which was a major step forward from book two, and a big leap in a new direction.

Cixiu Liu's Three Body Problem was interesting, but I can't help feeling that it is overhyped. Translated books never really work, and it's hard to tell if the weaknesses are in the original or the translation. Worse, I got most of the way through it find that it's actually the first in a trilogy. This is another dishonest trick from publishers: publishing the first of set and not telling you that it is the first of a set. I know why they do it, and it's the reason I don't like it: because I read so many books I'll have forgotten most of it by the time I read book two (and again by book three etc) so I tend to wait and get all at once. Which the publishers are trying to avoid. Not me personally, obviously, just the general principle.

For light relief I read Lionheart and Lackland, a history book by Frank McLynn. Very informative (it's astonishing just how extant medieval records are) but very biased. He's clearly seen "Richard Good, John Bad" painted on the end of a barn (an Internet Point if you get the reference) and everything has been passed through that filter. Richard does something and it's great. John does exactly the same and it's because he's a villain. It's bad enough watching people in real life who can do no wrong (or no right) but history is supposed to give us time to look at every detail.

Currently I'm on The Girl With All The Gifts by M R Carey. It's a fairly original retake of an old theme, but Carey does tend to betray his origins as a comic book writer.

I couldn't get away with "girl with all the gifts" really interesting concept but I was disappointed with the ending and the execution in general. Especially considering the girl wasn't particularly gifted :p

Associate
Moving on to my second attempt at 'A Feast For Crows'. I've got more drive this time around as I've read all the previous books back to back.

Weirdly I found AFFC a lot easier to read 2nd time round after having also read Dance of Dragons. DoD was also better 2nd time.
On first read, not only did it not have any of the main (or more interesting) characters it also had a lot of what seemed like fluff. Histories of families we'd not heard of before etc and names that as soon as you read you forgot. Those families and people then pop up in Dance of Dragons but I'd forgotten they were referenced to in AFFC. Felt they were just a hindrance to the plot and have popped up out of nowhere. New characters and plot lines when there seemed like there was more than enough going on already.
2nd time round you're more familiar with what's going on so just didn't feel like a slog. Rather enjoyed them tbh!

Underboss
Having finished the GRRM books I'm kind of at a loss, he needs to hurry up with the next one.

Until them I am working my way through 'The Crouching Beast' a first hand account of the battle for Hamburger Hill. very well written by a Lieutenant in the 187th and a platoon commander. If Vietnam/War memoirs are your thing it's worth checking out.

Also reading Cromwell's 'The Last Kingdom' after catching the series on the beeb. Books are much better.

Soldato
Currently reading all the John Wilcox stories about two ex soldiers fighting & acting as scouts in the Zulu wars, the Sudan, Afghanistan, China Boxer rebellion etc & most of the Victorian era skirmishes in protecting and expanding the empire. Ripping good yarns & new ones in the same series coming out regularly :D

Soldato
Since my last post in here ive finished:
The church of Fear by john sweeny and American psycho by Bret Ellis.

Dont try to eat when reading American psycho.

Now onto a book called the "baghdad railway club" by Andrew Martin. Its a bit slow at the moment (but im only 15 pages in) and only reading it because I got it for £1 in a amazon sale and I feel guilty just having it there.

I could start Starship troopers or Contact, which I know i'll enjoy.

Last edited:
Associate
Weirdly I found AFFC a lot easier to read 2nd time round after having also read Dance of Dragons. DoD was also better 2nd time.
On first read, not only did it not have any of the main (or more interesting) characters it also had a lot of what seemed like fluff. Histories of families we'd not heard of before etc and names that as soon as you read you forgot. Those families and people then pop up in Dance of Dragons but I'd forgotten they were referenced to in AFFC. Felt they were just a hindrance to the plot and have popped up out of nowhere. New characters and plot lines when there seemed like there was more than enough going on already.
2nd time round you're more familiar with what's going on so just didn't feel like a slog. Rather enjoyed them tbh!

I've just done the first 50 pages and everything makes so much more sense coming straight for the previous book. Think the issue I had previously was coming into it forgetting a lot that had happened.

Man of Honour
I'm already on record as saying AFfC is actually my favourite, and it remains so. But the best way to think of it, is as a way of changing the story direction. It really only exists (Martin was not originally going to cover this period of the story, but jump straight to a later time) to explain the origin of later events. With most of the orginal movers and shakers dead or out of action, the next people are moving to the fore. This book shows how it happens. It could never be a series of great set-pieces or anything, but the whole point of the book would be lost. The image of the poor peasants trying to recover from the war that get repeatedly mentioned is really what the book should be for the reader.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom