What book are you reading...

Soldato
Loved 1984. It's going down as one of my favourites.

Almost done with 2nd Wheel of Time now. Incredible as well :D

There are far too many books to read. My GoodReads wishlist has 248!

Soldato
On numerous recommendations from this thread, I have started the 'The first law' series by Joe Abercrombie.

I'm in Manlove with Glokta!

After seeing the recommendation in here I've just finished 'A Blade Itself'. At first I wasn't too sure however by the end I was completely hooked, such a good read.

Just about to start the second book!

Soldato
After seeing the recommendation in here I've just finished 'A Blade Itself'. At first I wasn't too sure however by the end I was completely hooked, such a good read.

Just about to start the second book!

this trilogy really is excellent. Joe Abercrombie is a great writer

Soldato
Since finishing the Jack Reacher books, I moved onto the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn which I have finished but 1 book which i'm yet to start. Although currently on the series of Scot Harvath by Brad Thor, currently on the second book - Path of the Assassin. So far the series is OK, not quite up to the Rapp books, but will continue.

PayDay Lover
Associate
Currently I am on a 'Kindle Unlimited' binge, so reading various books that most probably overlook. Currently reading the Spellmonger series by Terry Mancour which has been pretty good.
I enjoyed 'A Tale of Alus' series by Donald Wigboldy
'A bowl of Souls' series by Trevor H. Cooley
The Champion Chronicles by Brad Clark

Now, these are not in the same realms of quality of your mainstream writers, afterall, there tends to be a reason they are available on Kindle Unlimited, but I did find them to be the better Fantasy novels available

Associate
Re-reading the Malazan series (up to Memories of Ice).

A lot easier to read when you actually have a clue what they're talking about in the earlier books
As am I. just finished Memories of Ice and I was saying to someone at work that it is a completely different experience 2nd time, knowing who is who and their motivations. So many little things you thought you understood have a completely different cast now.

Man of Honour
Just started Roadside Picnic. An old sci-fi classic apparently.

Yes, it is. It's the book that the film "Stalker" is based on (very loosely), which in turn inspired the game of that name. It's probably the most accessible of the Strugatsky Brothers' books, compared to (say) "Snail on a Slope". Be aware though, that their books are very much towards the "literature" end of SF.

Associate
Just finished IT by Stephen King.

Now I'm not a huge fan of King. I don't think he can end a story. Unfortunately, this was no exception.

A huge tome and for the most part, sort of enjoyable. I find he goes on a bit. This could have been a few hundred pages shorter with no effect on the story.

It's been on my to read list for a long time and wanted to get through it before the new movie.

I'll give it a mediocre 5/10. Sorry to say I prefer the 1990 TV movie! Hope the new movie is even better, though without Tim Curry, Pennywise may be lacking.

Associate
War of the Worlds : HG Wells , what a great read considering its nearly 120 years old and normally cant stand the way they used to write in the 19th century.
Some one please make a film of this , a proper version set in the 19th century not like the classic 1950's or Tom Cruise one.
I do remember a few years ago there was a docu-drama set around the time of the 1st world war about a martian invasion instead of the Germans which was pretty good.

Associate
Alien Covenant : Alan Dean foster.
Pretty mediocre like the film , although they do grow hash in the botanical gardens and Walter rolls a decent joint( not kidding , dont know why they cut that from the film).

Associate
Currently reading Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter which the film and tv series Shooter is based off. Enjoying it so far, it's a bit dry, but I'm still finding it a good read. Also listening to Red Country by Joe Abercrombie which is the 3rd follow up book from his First Law series which i loved. They are mainly focussed on new characters but the surviving people from the first law series pop up in conversation or in person which I quite like. I've then got Sharp Ends to listen to.

I've also got Price of Thorns and The Lies of Lock Lamora on my Audible to listen to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom