What book are you reading...

Soldato
Currently reading Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman *******, #2) by Scott Lynch
Good so far
I just finished the third book. I really enjoyed them, but do find elements of the language a little juvenile at times!
Looking forward to the 4th book which 'might' be due this year! :)

If anyone could recommend similar books (violent, bit more adult) then that would be great. But not Joe Abercrombie, didn't really enjoy those much.

Soldato
War of the Worlds : HG Wells , what a great read considering its nearly 120 years old and normally cant stand the way they used to write in the 19th century.
Some one please make a film of this , a proper version set in the 19th century not like the classic 1950's or Tom Cruise one.
I do remember a few years ago there was a docu-drama set around the time of the 1st world war about a martian invasion instead of the Germans which was pretty good.

I decided to read it as well, so far it's alright. Not as good as the Count of Monte Cristo which I read recently :)

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Just picked up the 4th Wheel of Time book again after ditching it a few years ago. It's really good. The whole plot has accelerated so quickly that I can't begin to imagine how this pans out for another 10 books.

Soldato
Just picked up the 4th Wheel of Time book again after ditching it a few years ago. It's really good. The whole plot has accelerated so quickly that I can't begin to imagine how this pans out for another 10 books.

I really enjoyed the wheel of time, but there is definitely a lull in the pace the further along it goes. Brandon Sanderson picks it up again at the last 3 books though.

Think it could make a really good tv show as well.

Soldato
I just finished the third book. I really enjoyed them, but do find elements of the language a little juvenile at times!
Looking forward to the 4th book which 'might' be due this year! :)

If anyone could recommend similar books (violent, bit more adult) then that would be great. But not Joe Abercrombie, didn't really enjoy those much.

Ignoring the obvious recommendations you can get anywhere; Glenn Cook, Black Company series might be worth a read. Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns and the rest is worth a go.

After being critical in the past I'm trying to give Robin Hobb another try. Once again I'm enjoying the prose and pacing of the book but that was never my issue the first time round.

PayDay Lover
Associate

For me it peaked by book 4. Book 5 was good too if I remember rightly, after that I would pretend it finished.

Soldato
Ignoring the obvious recommendations you can get anywhere; Glenn Cook, Black Company series might be worth a read. Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns and the rest is worth a go.

After being critical in the past I'm trying to give Robin Hobb another try. Once again I'm enjoying the prose and pacing of the book but that was never my issue the first time round.

Awesome thanks, I'll have a look into those recommendations :)

Update: Went for 'Prince of Thorns' :)

Soldato
Awesome thanks, I'll have a look into those recommendations :)

Update: Went for 'Prince of Thorns' :)

Good choice, main series is 6 book long (to date) and the quality improves with each new book.

I've just finished the first of the Hobb books, I enjoyed it more than I remembered on my first read through and will read the second. Still have my doubts about the main character but I find him better than my first read which helps a lot.

Associate
I've just finished the first 5 books about Lincoln Rhyme by Jeffrey Deaver. Pretty alright crime books with a quadriplegic criminal forensic guy and his assistant. Enjoyable but not always the biggest twists in the books either. Good books to pass the down time with at work. At the moment I'm halfway through "Split Second" by David Baldacci. It is the same there, good enjoyable crime/thrillers that makes the time go.

Next up I think will be either Murakami - The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle or John Connolly - A Game of Ghosts (but I might save AGOG for my holiday back home next month). Love laying back on the porch with a good book and read away in the sun :)

Soldato
Ready Player One. Both the geekiest book I've ever read, and a partial roadmap of my childhood ;).

It's a love letter to geeks of a certain age. So many buttons pushed it has immense re-readability value too for me.

I've just finished Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch, just starting Moon Over Soho. Also flicking through Understanding The Countryside by John Seymour his work has really driven me towards having my own small holding one day.

Soldato
Next up I think will be either Murakami - The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle or John Connolly - A Game of Ghosts (but I might save AGOG for my holiday back home next month). Love laying back on the porch with a good book and read away in the sun :)

The Wind-up Bird Chronicle is amazing. One of my favourites of all time. I read it about 8 years ago, and loved every second of it

Associate
Good choice, main series is 6 book long (to date) and the quality improves with each new book.

I've just finished the first of the Hobb books, I enjoyed it more than I remembered on my first read through and will read the second. Still have my doubts about the main character but I find him better than my first read which helps a lot.

Add to my backlog of books to read thanks for the suggestions.

If you've read these I'm guessing you must also have read The Kingkiller Chronicles.
I've read the first Mistborn book which I quite enjoyed as well.

Soldato
I'm reading Neal Stephenson's "Reamde". My wife asked me what I was reading, and I said "it's too complex to explain". Over lunch, I spent around 15 minutes summarising the main plot. MMOROGs, ransomware, Chinese gold farmers, hackers, emergent online wars, Russian Mobsters, Middles Eastern Jihadist terrorists, British spies, Russian ex-spetsnaz bodyguards, etc, and that's just half-way through! This thing is taking so many left turns, I'm turning in circles. It's dense, clever, well written and well paced with great characters, and great action.

Associate
Pighardia, I've only read "colorless Tsukuru" by Murakami but I did really like this style of writing and the read something based outside Europe/USA (even though part of it is based in Finland). So I'm really looking forward to read more books by him. Even though I'm trying to get a good setting for me to read them in (like on a holiday somewhere or so) where I can focus a lot more on the book than while having downtime at work and so. One of my friends in Prague I did get to know thanks to her reading a Murakami book in one of the metal pubs I use to go to when I'm in Prague :D

Soldato
Add to my backlog of books to read thanks for the suggestions.

If you've read these I'm guessing you must also have read The Kingkiller Chronicles.
I've read the first Mistborn book which I quite enjoyed as well.

I'm not actually a huge fan Sanderson truth be told. I love his imagination and the worlds he creates but I find his story telling far too vanilla (I gather he's quite religious and that this is what influences his books) and I find his books too formulaic.

Sanderson book;
Introduce interesting world
Introduce character with a secret
Spend the next 70% setting up an ending with a predictable ending
Put in a twist which changes ending
The end

The annoying thing is you know for a fact that every book in the last 10% he will chuck in a twist which will turn the story on its head.

As I say I like his prose and his ideas but not his execution.

Soldato
Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage. Pretty good so far. Half tempted to work my way through the William Hill sports books of the year. Ive practically finished this one and have read Tyler Hamiltons Secret Race. Apparently the boxing one thar won it in the 90s is good, forget the name.

Soldato
Just finished Kevin Mitnik's 'Ghost in the Wires'. Really good read, amazing what he managed

This was a really enjoyable read for me as well, written in an interesting way to make the story more consumable as well, even for the non-techy people.

I'm after a new book to read now, having just finished The War of the Worlds. Inclined to agree with a previous poster, the film adaptations would have been far better if they were set in the correct time period. I vaguely recall the Tom Cruise film, but it lost a lot of the nuance of what made the books good.

Back
Top Bottom