What book are you reading...

Associate
This was a really enjoyable read for me as well, written in an interesting way to make the story more consumable as well, even for the non-techy people.

If you enjoyed that one, than perhaps take a look at Cliff Stoll's 'The Cuckoo's Egg'. Bit different than Ghost in the Wires in that it's the story of the other side of the coin - a chap trying to track down a hacker who's been exploiting his machines. Also a great read :)

Associate
Finished off "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series. Are their any good online book recommendation website's based on what you have read? I Enjoy large series,

completed:

Game of Thrones
Sword of Truth
Wheel of Time
Gap series
Thomas Covenant series (both)
LOTR

Soldato
Finished off "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series. Are their any good online book recommendation website's based on what you have read? I Enjoy large series,
The Witcher novels are very good. Or you could possibly try the Saxon Chronicles that Bernard Cornwell is regularly churning out. (9 books is it now?)
Goodreads is the obvious place for book recommendations but this thread here might also be of use.

Associate
Started Murakami's "Norwegian Wood" and am really enjoying it this far. Murakami was such a kind of impulsive find in the book stores for me and I'm quite happy I did pick up that first book I read from him (Colourless something something). I was walking around in the local Waterstones looking around, just browsing, not really planning to buy something and the cover to the book caught my eye. And the title was a bit intriguing too. After reading the story outline on the back I decided to buy it and did really enjoy it. I also got a friend in Prague due to Murakami :D I was in a heavy metal pub having a few beers and saw this girl sitting reading a book while having a few beers and I got a bit curious. After all, how many sits and read a book in a pub like that? And she did change to a different table a bit later which made me see the front of the book and it looked like a cover of a Murakamibook. So when she walked past my table I had to ask her what she was reading and she went "oh you speak english?" and then told me she is reading "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" by Murakami, which was a good starting point. And we ended up having a good few beers together talking about Murakami and metal music, win-win!! \m/

Soldato

completed:

Game of Thrones
Sword of Truth
Wheel of Time
Gap series
LOTR

Robin Hobbs Farseer trilogy which leads onto 4 other trilogies (Liveships, Fool, Rainwilds and Fitz & The Fool). Latest one came out the other month.

Soldato
Just finished Charles Stross' latest Laundry book "The Delirium Brief". This one sees Bob Howard back as the main character, taking place directly after the events of "The Nightmare Stacks". Another darker book that takes the series down an unexpected track. After the aborted inter-dimensional invasion that has left thousands dead and Leeds devastated, the Laundry is outed and scapegoated, with the government intent on disowning and disbanding the secret agency now laid bare to public view. Behind it all is a secret takeover over of the US agencies and the UK government by the Sleeper. An old enemy returns, and Bob and what's left of the Laundry have to battle the puppeted government, an evil god from another universe, and will have to make a deal with the devil to keep the country and the world safe.

Once again, Stross turns in a darkly humorous and scary tale of our world on the brink of supernatural collapse, with only a top secret spy agency standing in the way. This time their enemies are not just the Evil Ones, but our own politicians and media. Things go badly... and then they get worse.

Another brilliant addition to the series by Stross, and if you've read the previous books, it's a nice return to have Bob back after he was sidelined for a while in the last two novels.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good choice, main series is 6 book long (to date) and the quality improves with each new book.

I've just finished the first of the Hobb books, I enjoyed it more than I remembered on my first read through and will read the second. Still have my doubts about the main character but I find him better than my first read which helps a lot.

I made it through the first book, but the writing style didn't engage me at all unfortunately. Tried the second as you mention it improves but I had to give up, didn't find it enjoyable!

However, I've nearly finished the first book in the Powder Mage series and I'm really enjoying it.
So that's a recommendation from me to you all :)

Associate

completed:

Game of Thrones
Sword of Truth
Wheel of Time
Gap series
LOTR
Oldies like the Shannara books by Terry Brooks and Magician series by Raymond R Feist are good in the early stages.They do get worse later on but they have pretty self contained arcs, so you can finish before they really start going downhill and not miss out. Then there's The Cosmere books by Brandon Sanderson, Demon Cycle by Better v Brett and Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. Those aren't finished yet. but are worth checking out.

Soldato
I made it through the first book, but the writing style didn't engage me at all unfortunately. Tried the second as you mention it improves but I had to give up, didn't find it enjoyable!

However, I've nearly finished the first book in the Powder Mage series and I'm really enjoying it.
So that's a recommendation from me to you all :)

That's a shame, I would recommend persevering but to be honest if I don't "get into" a book I give it up as well so would be a little hypocritical of me :p

Did you mention if you had read Abercrombie? He is worth a try if not.

I'm currently reading Senlin Ascends. Mark Lawrence (the Prince of Thorns author) runs/sponsors a writing competition each year for unnoticed writers. Senlin Ascends came runner up (I believe) and it has actually went on to be more popular than the winner with a second book written and third on the way. It's a really weird book and I struggle to describe it to people who ask so instead I just say pick it up and try, you won't be disappointed.

Associate
Last week I finished "A Knife of Dreams" by Robert Jordan and "A Game of Ghosts" by John Connolly. Both very good books. AKOD was quite slow at times but I'm really looking forward to read the last 3 books in the series now. Most likely will be read during my holiday in September (at least one of the books shall be read in that time).

I like how John Connolly weaves old religious stuff and mythology into the modern time as he does. Always interesting to see what he comes up with and refers to with his characters.

Associate
Currently reading "Armageddon In Stalingrad" by David M Glantz, the second volume of his Stalingrad 'trilogy' that runs to five books.

I've read quite a few of Glantz' books, so I knew what I was letting myself in for with regards to the volume of info and detail he throws at the reader. I really enjoyed Beevor's Stalingrad, but, compared to Glantz' monumental effort, it's almost reduced to a preface.

Soldato
Finished Best Served Cold by Abercrombie recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. It had a predictable level to it insofar as you know the process the story is going to pursue - it's essentially a check list. That said I thought the characters were brilliant and he's really settled into a defined as enjoyable writing style now.

I felt The Blade Itself saw him finding his literary feet, understandably so, but Best Served Cold is a cracking read. Onto The Heroes now.

Also finished a reread of The Fires of Heaven, the fifth Wheel of Time book. Had been slowly getting through it whilst tying to figure out what else to read. I think the first six books of that series are great, and while the latter ones are enjoyable too, there's something I find so irresistible about the earlier books - I imagine it has something to do with the age I was when I first read them.

Associate
Just started reading Lolita. Interesting read so far. Not the easiest read due to the subject matter. I find myself wanting to read more to see where everything leads but that in itself makes you question why you're reading it.

Associate
Finished 'Calamity' by Brandon Sanderson last week. Some nice ideas but a very weak and rushed ending (well, in my opinion at least). Now reading 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman which is excellent so far...

Back
Top Bottom