What book are you reading...

Man of Honour
Dark Matter and the Dinosaurs: The Astounding Interconnectedness of the Universe

Very interesting, and allready been some things I haven't heard about our solar system, despite reading a few books around physics/space etc.

Soldato
Been on a reading binge the past week.

Hillbilly Elegy - really enjoyed it. Kinda hoped for more statistic and insight but it's meant to be autobiographical and the writer don't disappoint on that front.
When Breath Becomes Air - Read it in two sittings. Very very good.
Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City - Halfway through. Eye opening.

Soldato
Well I finished Attack On Titan Volumes 1 to 22 in about a week. Really impressed great story. There can't be much left one imagines so I'll need to buy the remaining volumes as they come out.

Associate
Aliens Original Sin.

Whilst I know it's pretty much pulp, I'm somewhat disappointed so far. The story follows on from Alien Resurrection, with Alien-Ripley, Call, Johner and Vreiss plus extra crew. The problem I have is that the characters from the film are so strongly ingrained in my mind that I have real issues being flexible enough with the plot. It's only short though so hopefully I'll tough it out...although I already know it won't be anywhere near as good as Aliens Berserker..

Permabanned
I think the last time I read a book what when I was at school! I really should sit down and read a good book more. Then again we have the internet so I guess it's sort of similar!

Soldato
dirk gently - the long dark etc - boring, not very funny and a bit of a confused mess (a bit like the first). I've been very disappointed with most of Douglas Adams books.

Commissario
Well I finished Attack On Titan Volumes 1 to 22 in about a week. Really impressed great story. There can't be much left one imagines so I'll need to buy the remaining volumes as they come out.
I'm about half way through volume 2 at the moment, I picked them up from humble bundle a while ago (still haven't seen season 2 of the TV series).

I read the 4th and 5th Aliens Omnibus editions last week, the stories vary a lot in quality and there are obvious contradictions between pretty much all the books in regards to timeline/events (I suspect no one ever officially did a timeline for the universe, or even multiple alternate universes), but it's interesting to see how various of the ideas are carried forward (including aliens of different hives/queens, and more on Earth corporations).
Some work to explain some of the holes in the original Alien film and basically carry it on, others are wildly divergent but fun reads.

Soldato
I liked the early Dark Horse Aliens graphic novels. I’m just waiting for an opportunity to pick up the Omnibus editions cheap. I do love Aliens Book One though such a good story.

I’m reading Heir To The Empire by Timothy Zahn, really well written story puts the Disney sequels into the shade. It offers a much ch more rational reason for the a Empire to still exist. Cherishes the heritage of the original material and introduces no concepts that break the internal logic of Star Wars.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I need to find another series (non zombie/end of world got a few of them lined up) anyone have any suggestions.

Read these
Lee child - Jack reacher
James Corey - the expanse
Michelle Connelly - bosch
Michael fuchs - arisen
Peter may - Lewis
Mathew Riley - scarecrow and jack west

Chixin Liu - three body problem
Jack Higgins - Sean Dillon
Grieg beck - Alex hunter
Yesterday's gone series
Stephen moss - fear series
Kim stanley - Mars series
Douglas Preston - Wyman ford
Arthur c Clarke - rama
Sean Schubert - Alaska undead appocolypse
John scalzi - the human divison

Probably many others but can't think of them ATM.

Associate
I need to find another series (non zombie/end of world got a few of them lined up) anyone have any suggestions.

Read these
Lee child - Jack reacher
Michael fuchs - arisen
Peter may - Lewis

Grieg beck - Alex hunter
Yesterday's gone series
Arthur c Clarke - rama

I've quite enjoyed the Andy McDemott Chase and Wilde series. Literary masterpieces they are not, but they are good fun in a Matthew Reilly way. Also, go read 'The Book With No Name' by 'Annonymous'. It's mental.

Man of Honour
Thanks will add these to the list. Also think it's time I tried culture series by Ian m banks as well.

Those should keep me going for a while.
So many science books, but was lacking fiction, not anymore.

Associate

Read these
Lee child - Jack reacher
Michael fuchs - arisen
Peter may - Lewis

Grieg beck - Alex hunter
Yesterday's gone series
Arthur c Clarke - rama

Jeffery Deaver and the Lincoln Rhyme series?
John Connolly and his Charlie Parker series?

Commissario

I assume you've read the other Scalzi books?
I quite like the fact he tends to have a reason for a lot of the choices in regards to the (human) science in his Old Man's War series, so the soldiers have cat dna in their eyes as it's easier than alien tech for the same result, and green skin because they've got a chlorophyll type substance in their skin to help them survive with smaller rations if needed.

Soldato

Read these
Lee child - Jack reacher
Michael fuchs - arisen
Peter may - Lewis

Grieg beck - Alex hunter
Yesterday's gone series
Arthur c Clarke - rama

I can recommend Stuart MacBride - Logan McRrae series, crime dramas set in Dundee, i enjoyed them as much if not more than Michael Connelly with some lol moments, really good series.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002RI9ZZO/ref=series_rw_dp_sw

Back
Top Bottom