What book are you reading...

Associate
Been reading The Undead series by RR Haywood (recommended earlier in thread).
Each book is one day so I have read all the way up to Day 16 (totalling around 80+ hours worth of reading!!!).

Really loving the series. It's more Dead Rising than Walking Dead. Just a few people (most of the time) taking on thousands of zombies. Totally unrealistic but just good fun.

Unfortunately, I have hit a problem. Day 16 ended rather suddenly. I got Day 17 but it didn't seem to follow on.
After a bit of investigation, it turns out the author spilt book 16 into 2. Only Part 1 seems to be available on Amazon (Kindle) - Googling, I only found a dead link to Part 2.
Emailed the author via his website but not heard anything back yet.

Really annoying after putting so much time and money into this series.

Anybody else hit this problem or even found Day 16 Part 2? Let me know!

May end up just having to skip Part 2 and carry on with Day 17 - but got a load of other books to read first though so hopefully it might magically appear.

Associate
Just finished Blitzed: Drugs in Nazi Germany and now onto The Second World War, by Antony Beevor. (Both kindle)

The Blitzed one was hard to put down.

Associate
I do like a good undead series, have added it to the list.

Totally forgot to add earlier. Another good zombie series I recently read (having a zombie/end of world thing at the moment) is The Sixth Extinction series by Glen Johnson.
Another good read - more in the Dead Rising style.
You can pick up books 1 - 12 for £1.99 on Amazon (Kindle). Although they are really short stories merged into a single volume, still a bargin.

I like the explanation for the zombie plague in this one - it's not what you expect!

Soldato
Would also recommend Surviving The Evacuation series by Frank Tayell if you prefer your zombie story "realistic". More Walking Dead than Dead Rising.
Very good read too.

Read the evacuation first book in a night, didn't get to sleep until 0130 :D

Good read, well to be precise the writing is a bit poor, a fair few spelling/missing word mistakes in the Kindle and at times pretty stodgy (it reads a lot like a poor man's Martian though not sure if this was pre or post that) but despite the above it is really compelling.

I found how it all unravelled and his survival attempts pretty page turning and realistic and I did enjoy it. I'll spoiler the next but just in case;

I found the ending regards a global conspiracy a little contrived. Actually it wasn't even clear if it was a global conspiracy (making it all mysterious in a room) or just a mess up searching for a good cause it just felt a little contrived and I hope future books don't become some bull story about that and start ignoring the end of the world scenario which is very interesting.

The global stuff was daft as above but the whole British government betrayal was chillingly plausible though again it veered to stupid. You are luring them to evacuation centres to kill them (chillingly cool) but why lure them to centres to infect them, then kill them. Why infect anyone?

At times I'm not sure if it's just poor plotting and trying to make it needlessly complex or poor writing and he isn't communicating his intent clearly.

Despite my complaints it was a blinking good read and picked up the second.

Associate
Good read, well to be precise the writing is a bit poor, a fair few spelling/missing word mistakes in the Kindle and at times pretty stodgy (it reads a lot like a poor man's Martian though not sure if this was pre or post that) but despite the above it is really compelling.

Yeah, a lot of these books I recommended have quite a few mistakes in them.
Suspect the main reason is that they are all self published. So I suspect a lot of mistakes that would be spotted by an editor get through.

Thinking about it, I haven't read a published author for several years now. Subscribed to Kindle Unlimited (which is mainly unpublished authors) and just randomly picked books that sounded interesting. I have been pleasantly surprised so far!

Soldato
I've got 4-5 books that I'm part way through at the moment. The last one that I finished was "Antifragile" by Nicholas Nassim Taleb. Highly interesting, there were a few things which I disagreed with, but overall its a very interesting way of looking at life and systems.

Soldato
Finished the second evacuation book, another good read if not as compelling as the first. I understand they can't make it just about zombies but still not a huge fan of the conspiracy angle (despite it being chillingly plausible) I enjoyed the interaction with the other group more. Already bought the third :p

Associate
The Complete Yachtmaster (8th Edition) by Tom Cunliffe.

Very interesting read if you're into sailing and a fantastic reference - the author has ability to write in engaging fashion and manages to successfully convey some complex subject matter (it doesn't read like an academic text book).

Also Ultima by Stephen Baxter - I might have to put this one down though as I just can't get on with the idea of what's effectively ancient Romans in Space. It's a shame as I've really enjoyed some of his other books.

Soldato
Still reading Children of Dune, been a few weeks. I'm biting it off in small chunks 10-15 pages at a time. It's still a good read better than Dune Messiah not quite the majesty of Dune but still pretty deep. Dreading God Emperor of Dune, I've read it a couple of times and its always a drag.

Also read the first 12 volumes of the Attack on Titan manga it was on HumbleBundle and I decided to take a punt. Really good, the art work is a bit hard though I have difficulty remember which character is which a lot of them are a bit androgynous and similar. Not planning to become a manga reader but very impressed with the story and vision.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom