What book are you reading...

Associate
Pond by Claire-Louise Bennet... This (below) is the Amazon 'blurb' which sums it up perfectly.... I have nearly finished and absolutely love it!

Feverish and forthright, Pond is an absorbing chronicle of the pitfalls and pleasures of a solitudinous life told by an unnamed woman living on the cusp of a coastal town. Broken bowls, belligerent cows, swanky aubergines, trembling moonrises and horrifying sunsets, the physical world depicted in these stories is unsettling yet intimately familiar and soon takes on a life of its own. Captivated by the stellar charms of seclusion but restless with desire, the woman's relationship with her surroundings becomes boundless and increasingly bewildering. Claire-Louise Bennett's startlingly original first collection slips effortlessly between worlds and is by turns darkly funny and deeply moving.

Soldato
Eon series by Greg Bear, old school :)

Ready Player One will be next as it popped up for 99p on today's Kindle deals and I'm trying to decide if I want to spend £30 on the ten culture novels by Banks which are all £2.99 at the moment, I've read a few of them and really liked them but my backlog of books is getting out of control and I could just save myself the money lol...

Soldato
I've just completed a re-read of the complete Rivers of London/PC Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch (1 -7, 8 not in pb yet). After I read Hanging Tree (bok 7) for the first time I needed to go back and look for plot clues that were in earlier books, satisfied they were subtle and I hadn't missed too much.

Now re-reading Dune by Frank Herbert, been probably 10 years since I last read this. I'd forgotten, or re-experiencing what a great book this is. He gives such a clear vision of wider universe with a very different arrangement of human society with such limited details. Peter F Hamilton gives us a rich society in 3 900+ page books for Nights Dawn but Herbert suggests complexity that the mind can fill in with far less, really love this book. I'll probably read the full sequence again although God Emperor is a chore rather than a joy. I'd love to see a HBO version of this with some tidying up of the plot.

Associate

Now re-reading Dune by Frank Herbert, been probably 10 years since I last read this. I'd forgotten, or re-experiencing what a great book this is. He gives such a clear vision of wider universe with a very different arrangement of human society with such limited details. Peter F Hamilton gives us a rich society in 3 900+ page books for Nights Dawn but Herbert suggests complexity that the mind can fill in with far less, really love this book. I'll probably read the full sequence again although God Emperor is a chore rather than a joy. I'd love to see a HBO version of this with some tidying up of the plot.
I absolutely must re-read the series, it's been many years.

I am currently reading the Eldar and Dark Eldar series by Andy Chambers. Just started the Dark Eldar half and really enjoying it.

Soldato
I've just started Oathbringer. The third book in The Stormlight Archive,released last week. It is very good so far, but I'm struggling to find time to read it atm.

Soldato
"Earthcore" by Scott Sigler. Basically, a mining company find incredible wealth buried under a US mountain range and try to get at it. Unfortunately, something else is looking to stop them. Quite cool. It starts off a bit technical but is engaging enough to get through all that. I'm switching between Kindle and the audio version (I love that feature) and the only odd thing is that they use the same sound transition between chapters as they do with Sigler's other books. Oddly, I find that really distracting/annoying.

Last edited:
Associate
Recently finished Oathbringer, awesome.

Now nearly through Blackwing by Ed McDonald. This book is highly recommended if you like dark grim fantasy stuff like Joe Abercrombie and Scott Lynch. It's also the guy's first book which is impressive!

Soldato
Currently reading book 10 in the wheel of time series. I have read them all in one go lol.
Despite a few slow parts and the multiple times a woman glares or adjusts their skirts I am enjoying the series

Associate
Recently finished This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay, which was a really enjoyable, if somewhat irreverent, look at the NHS and the life of a junior doctor. It's one of those books where the next punchline is always right around the corner, and to I'd probably have devoured it all in one go if I planned my reading a little better. And because I enjoyed it so much I've decided to re-read Cityboy: Beer and Loathing in the Square Mile by Geraint Anderson. Enjoyed it when I read it 4 or 6 years ago and I'm need of some career change motivation.

Commissario
I'm currently reading book 7 of the Expanse (Persepolis Rising) which is turning out to be good, it's set 20 or 30 years after the previous books.
I finished The Martin last week which was very good, although I'm possibly not going to see the film in quite the same way when I rewatch it.

Next up is the new Charlie Stross book (Dark State) as that was released today and should be on my kindle now :)

j.col, I need to give Wheel of Time another go, I tried it a few years back and only got about 100 pages into it, although at the time I was spending an inordinate amount of time and energy looking after our mutt so wasn't really up for long complex, slow books :) (a pattern I've noticed a few times, when I'm stressed or really tired I tend to read "light" books such as pulp sci-fi rather more than in depth books).

Soldato
Cervantes - Don Quixote

Stumbled across this in a bargain book shop so thought I'd give it a go. It's been amusing so far but not grabbed me like I hoped. Think I'm about 200 pages in.

Associate
I'm almost half way into the last book in The Wheel of Time-series and hope to finish it off over the weekend. I'm also reading I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes for the second time. Really good book that one.

Man of Honour
just about to finish endurance a year in sapce, fascinating and quite a few details about iss life I haven't heard before.
then I think the expanse short story 6.5 in the series (strange Dogs).

Associate
Would you laugh if I told you I've never read a book before? Sure, I've read textbooks but who hasn't? So today I decided to buy my first book. Since I'm really into my gaming I bought a book based on a game series(Witcher). Someone on my Facebook recommended it, also saw good reviews on Amazon. Not only that my girlfriend loves books. She's a big Harry Potter fan(like everybody). She keeps telling me to read books so I thought 'why not?' Perhaps we'd have something else to have in common.

Associate
After a post on this thread I have now read all the Ciaphas Cain books. Loved them and not having read any 40k books (or anything 40k related) found them a great introduction to the universe.

Now reading the Eisenhorn Omnibus and enjoying it so far.

I just started the Cain series recently after reading Eisenhorn and Ravenor omnibus a while back .( Superb btw)

My first foray into 40k was Gaunts Ghosts which again is superb.

Enjoy

Soldato
Would you laugh if I told you I've never read a book before? Sure, I've read textbooks but who hasn't? So today I decided to buy my first book. Since I'm really into my gaming I bought a book based on a game series(Witcher). Someone on my Facebook recommended it, also saw good reviews on Amazon. Not only that my girlfriend loves books. She's a big Harry Potter fan(like everybody). She keeps telling me to read books so I thought 'why not?' Perhaps we'd have something else to have in common.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Witcher books, they added a very rich back story to the games and really brought Geralt and Ciri to life. The first two were ok, just a series of short stories really but the remaining five were excellent, telling one huge story that takes Geralt and Ciri beyond the end of the game series.

Back
Top Bottom