What book are you reading...

Soldato
I am indeed! About a third of the way through Rage and then on to The Stand. I'm reading his stuff alongside other books series like Dresden and Wheel of Time which I'm having a break from (finished book 10 which took ages to plow through and I was getting burnt out). Also want to get into the Reacher books again. I read the first two but am thinking of trying to get a job lot on Ebay.

Jeez, I pity you reading The Dark Tower series.

To be fair, King has written many excellent books. I love his short story collections. To me, it feels like his novels have fallen off in quality over the last few years.

Caporegime
I'm working my way through Discworld again this year, up to Lords and Ladies. Such a fantastic series.

I tried a few King books last year (I've read a couple in the past too) and although his world building is amazing they both had kind of damp finishes that put me off trying any others (Salem's Lot and The Institute)

Associate
My bus book is Grave Peril by Jim Dresden. Really enjoying the series. Feels like a cross between Angel and Supernatural in book form which is fine with me.

At home I've started The Stand by Stephen King. Now that's a big book :D.

Soldato
My bus book is Grave Peril by Jim Dresden. Really enjoying the series. Feels like a cross between Angel and Supernatural in book form which is fine with me.

I absolutely love the Dresden Files, there are at most 3 'bad' books in the entire series, and even then they're not actually awful books, just books where things didn't gel for me.

I've read the whole series twice now.

Soldato

At home I've started The Stand by Stephen King. Now that's a big book :D.

I am actually jealous of you reading through the Dresden Files and The Stand for the first time. Fantastic books.

After you finished all those and if you liked the Stand, you should read Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon.

Soldato
I'm working my way through Discworld again this year, up to Lords and Ladies. Such a fantastic series.

I tried a few King books last year (I've read a couple in the past too) and although his world building is amazing they both had kind of damp finishes that put me off trying any others (Salem's Lot and The Institute)

The Discworld series is mostly fantastic. The quality did dip a lot after he got sick though. Which was a shame.

That's the problem with Stephen King. He builds up these amazing worlds and characters. But, the mystery/evil/ghost/whatever when it's revealed can never match what we imagine. Some of his out and out horror books(not short stories) are like that, eg. Christine, IT, Salems Lot etc. You should try some of his other books The Stand, The Tailsman, The Dark Tower. Or take a read of the Bachman books. 4 short stories that are really good.

And I just wanted to get back to you about the Rivers of London series Novels by Ben Aaronovitch. I finished reading them a few weeks ago and your summary was totally accurate. Good start then faded into been very mediocre by the middle and was glad to be finished by the end. The whole dynamic of the magic and the rivers etc didn't work for me. You said you wouldn't put the series in your top 3 urban fantasy series. Same here, I wouldn't put it in my top 3 and I haven't even read 3 urban fantasy series!! :p Very disappointed after the good impression the first book made.

Soldato
Been going through Ian M Banks novels for the 5th or 6rh time, in audiobook format for a change.

On Feersum Enjin atm which is actually much better in audio form....written it's pretty hard work (if you've read it, you'll know).

Got a bit bogged down in Against A Dark Background which is probably the weakest book after Consider Phlebas.

Just done Excession and Look To Windward which are both amazing and need to be made into films or mini series.

Soldato
Been going through Ian M Banks novels for the 5th or 6rh time, in audiobook format for a change.

On Feersum Enjin atm which is actually much better in audio form....written it's pretty hard work (if you've read it, you'll know).

Got a bit bogged down in Against A Dark Background which is probably the weakest book after Consider Phlebas.

Just done Excession and Look To Windward which are both amazing and need to be made into films or mini series.
I've only been through them once in audiobook format, but they really do deserve a reread, some great books. Would love to see some films / TV series based on the books if the producers could bring themselves to be at least somewhat faithful to the source material.

Could especially imagine excession making a really good screen adaptation as a place to start.

Top tier sci fi IMO

Last edited:
Soldato
Oops, double post

As I'm here, started 'Red Rising' recently, although tbh I'm not really a fan so far. Had heard some really positive things about it, but so far just feeling like a tropey YA dystopian novel. May grow on me, we shall see.

Last edited:
Soldato

King's books are often more about the journey than the arrival.

The last really good ending of his that I read was Revival, which is 10 years or more old. Everything since has been "meh" at best and some are downright rubbish.

His short story collections are excellent, and there's probably a dozen or so of those to choose from.

Soldato

Iain M Banks culture series are some of the best books I've read. Probably look to windward was my favourite. Would love to see them get made into quality TV series.

Soldato
I just finished Flashman And The Tiger. Very similar to the other Flashman books, which is a good thing.

Flashman is such a scumbag, with no redeeming qualities. He is fun, and very funny.

Soldato
I started the Joe Abercrombie - Age of Madness trilogy a few weeks ago having loved the First Law trilogy. So just finished "The Trouble with Peace" cool book loved the plotting and scheming and the grand battles very entertaining. I have the final book in the trilogy on pre-order and due out in a few weeks time so looking forward to completing the trilogy.

For those who haven't read it the First Law trilogy is brilliant, fantasy with a very real and lived in feel. The Bloody Nine became in an instant one of my all time favourite characters.

Back
Top Bottom