What book are you reading...

"Alien: Phalanx" by Scott Sigler. I was reading the complete "Under the breaking sky" by Nick Clauson but at 49% through I realised I was continuing as an obligation to read, rather than something to do for fun.
I switched to A:P and it's a breath of fresh air. I'm reading because I want to see what happens again, not just because I want to complete the (incredibly dull) book.

I'm just over half way through The Count of Monte Cristo and honestly, I don't know if I have the desire to slog through the second half. There is just so much gumpf and "look how wealthy he is". So little has happened for such a long time! I enjoyed the first quarter or so but the second has been dragging so much. Any care to chime in on whether its worth finishing?

On holiday at the moment, so it's the obligatory Jack Reacher for me, The Secret. The only problem is they only last me a few days, so I've also got my Kindle with plenty to choose from later.

I'm just over half way through The Count of Monte Cristo and honestly, I don't know if I have the desire to slog through the second half. There is just so much gumpf and "look how wealthy he is". So little has happened for such a long time! I enjoyed the first quarter or so but the second has been dragging so much. Any care to chime in on whether its worth finishing?
Just give up and watch the Jim Caviezel film version. It's rather good and done within 2 hours.

Currently reading "How Westminster Works - and why it doesn't" by Ian Dunt. Tackles pretty much every aspect of English (some bits are about the other parts of the UK, but mainly it's about England) politics and governance and explains why most of it is a dismal failure. Usually for many complicated and interconnected reasons.

I’ve recently finished Rory Stewart’s ‘Politics on the Edge’ which gives an inside view of the workings (or rather, not workings) of the Conservative Party during his time as an MP up to his failed leadership bid.

I imagine many of the failings Stewart highlights feature in Dunt’s book.

On to the sixth Wheel Of Time book now - Lord Of Chaos.

Must admit it's starting to drag a bit now. 80 pages in and nothing much has really happened, just a reprise of what various characters are doing, more new names brought in to add to the confusion or maybe one or two recast under a different name.

The fifth book had a fairly strong finish but was still bogged down by pages and pages of Aiel politics and Aes Sedai ruminations. And I have lost all sympathy for Rand, Robert Jordan has turned him from shepherd boy out of his depth to a rather unlikeable character.

Good story, but not always great storytelling. Book 6 is nearly 1000 pages - Tolien managed to tell the entire LOTR story (if you include The Hobbit) in less than 1500 pages.

Well I'll see if I can wade through this one, then might go back to reading The Witcher books for a bit - at least those have a bit of whimsy and humour. The other problem with RJ's story - very deadpan, almost like he is writing in a documentary style.

Last edited:
Just finished Clarkson's third book about his farm and feel slightly cheated by it's size and content. It reminded me of a child's book with illustrations and multiple blank pages per chapter. Read it in a day basically. Also me and my partner have sold a load of her old books to Zifit and got 150 quid for them in total.

Back
Top Bottom