What book are you reading...

Currently reading through (and nearly finished tbh) Inhibitor Phase by Alastair Reynolds. He's become a favourite of mine, at this point the only books of his I'm missing are ones that Waterstones don't keep stocked of.

Have to say after the dissapointment (IMO) that was Absolution Gap there feels a big shift in tone of this book. Much happier with the way the story is going, characters involved & overall writing style. Best way I can describe it is it feels like he read back Absolution Gap, realised it was a travesty and tried to retcon the issues away (where did the nest builders go!)

I just finished Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. It's about cowboys taking a herd from Texas to Montana (which is a long old journey).

It is outstandingly good. The characters are well-written and the story is fantastic.

Highly recommended.

Just finished the 4th in the Bobiverse series and I was a little disappointed. Although I sometimes found it hard to keep up with the different storylines in the original trilogy, they were still more fun than this 4th book, which only really had one story line, which wasn't that interesting and ended in rather an underwhelming manner. I will probably read the 5th, but my expectations are lower.

Just finished the 4th in the Bobiverse series and I was a little disappointed. Although I sometimes found it hard to keep up with the different storylines in the original trilogy, they were still more fun than this 4th book, which only really had one story line, which wasn't that interesting and ended in rather an underwhelming manner. I will probably read the 5th, but my expectations are lower.
It was certainly a departure but I guess he had to do something after The Others.

I just finished Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. It's about cowboys taking a herd from Texas to Montana (which is a long old journey).

It is outstandingly good. The characters are well-written and the story is fantastic.

Highly recommended.
Larry McMurtry is one of my favourite authors, chronicling the change from old west to modern world. Buffalo Girls is a good read too, and Terms of Endearment is one of the funniest books I ever read - with huge dollops of sadness.

Currently reading "How Westminster Works - and why it doesn't" by Ian Dunt. Tackles pretty much every aspect of English (some bits are about the other parts of the UK, but mainly it's about England) politics and governance and explains why most of it is a dismal failure. Usually for many complicated and interconnected reasons.

Before that was "The Book of Sand" by Mo Hayder. Terrific book. Starts with two alternating stories, both full of mystery. The only issue is a sad one: the author died soon after completing the book, and it was the first of an intended series of four, so it doesn't really end. I'd still recommend it though.

Also read:

"Cross Talk" by Connie Willis. Starts as a light-hearted Thirties style screwball comedy then suddenly gets much darker. Willis seems to like writing comedy ("To Say Nothing of the Dog" is "Three Men in a Boat" with time travel) but is better at drama: "Doomsday Book" would have a good claim as the saddest SF book ever written.

"Lake of Souls " by Ann Leckie. A book of short stories. The only catch with Leckie is that she's one of those writers who starts with a book so good ("Ancilliary Justice") that you suspect that nothing she will ever write afterwards will measure up. The stories are OK to good, but not great.

Just finished (listening to) Earthside -Quantum Earth Book 2 by Dennis E. Taylor
I enjoyed it, not as much as the first book, but looking forward to a third.

Next up is Heaven's River - Bobiverse Book 4 also by Dennis E. Taylor.
It's been a couple of years since I read book 3, so I hope I can get back into it. He doesn't really end books, he just stops.

James s a Corey - captives war.

It's the first book of a new series from the guys that gave us the expanse...

It's ok but so far it's a bit .... Im only 66% of the way through and finally it feels like something is happening On top of what has happened lol.
Weird description I know.

I've moved on to The Man Who Died Twice (Thursday Murder Club book 2) and I'm finding it really very good, so far (about 65% of the way in). The first book was a little all over the place. This one seems better put together and has put a smile on my face a few times.

Just finished (listening to) Earthside -Quantum Earth Book 2 by Dennis E. Taylor
I enjoyed it, not as much as the first book, but looking forward to a third.

Next up is Heaven's River - Bobiverse Book 4 also by Dennis E. Taylor.
It's been a couple of years since I read book 3, so I hope I can get back into it. He doesn't really end books, he just stops.

Enjoyed both of these so decided to look up the author.
Bobiverse 5 is likely due in the next few weeks.
Earthside is a WIP but he has quite a few planned.

I'm jumping around with various series via Kindle Unlimited waiting for the next one to come out;
Backyard Starship (Chaney, Magert)
Expeditionary Force or Convergence (Craig Alanson)
Undead series (RR Haywood)

In an attempt to be more highbrow I'm currently reading American Prometheus but it's a fair old slog and I'm not sure I'll finish it.

I usually read sci fi/fantasy and have been a massive fan of DnD since the 80s when I first read Dragons of Autumn Twilight. However, not many DnD novels being released nowadays so I need to look for other books to read. I've also read most of the Warhammer 40k books in the Horus Heresy series as well as loads of others recommended by various W40k sites. If anyone can recommend any new fantasy authors/books that would be great.

Finished the 3rd Gentleman ******* book, struggled a bit with the first but definitely got a lot better in the second and third book. Some good humour too throughout.

Now re-reading Game of Thrones , first book, few chapters in and already reminded how good a read they are.

Back
Top Bottom