What book are you reading...

Finished Station Eternity - (The Midsolar Murders #1) by Mur Lafferty. Mixed bag of ideas and action without being able to fully engage me.

Started Erasure by Percival Everett which was made into the movie American Fiction. It is satire about satire of the Afro American experience. Whist it is more literary than my usual reads it flows well, and quite funny and sad at the same time.

read and put down cloud atlas by David Mitchell
that was a good read, slightly let down by the fact that ive've seen the movie too, but tbh the book was better than the movie, so i'm glad I read it (thoroughly recommended I can't really say what it is about because it is more up to the reader to get it
there was enough of a dystopian theme to some of the book to leave me wanting some more dystopian goodness, but I cba to read 1984 again, so I picked up "the giver" instead
a very enjoyable read that one, and a much quicker read than anything i've been reading over the last year,
currently reading " censoring an iranian love story" by Shahriar Mandanipour because I heard a snippet of it being read on radio 4, and liked what I heard
currently learning about censorship, and the rules of what men and women can, and cannot do in Iran, the love story has been slow off the mark, but as the whole theme is about doing a love story in Iran, it has to be slow, and not too vulgar or it will be banned, learning a lot of tricks that authors have used there to get around continued consorship, it is quite dry in its humour which I am looking forward to more of, when I finish it, i'll go to the second book of the giver quartet

Last edited:
I tend to skim read the boring parts of the books, you can still get the gist of what RJ is trying to get across without all the slog.
Just did that towards the end of Book 6. It is a bit irksome that the most action packed part of the story and the climactic battle of the instalment is all rushed into the last 80 pages or so.

Anyhow that's out the way so grabbed Book 7 A Crown Of Swords from the library this afternoon, 200 pages less than Book 6.

Now about a quarter of the way through A Memory of Light (been busy so really sunk my teeth into it the past few days). It's everything I've wanted Wheel of Time to be but it's been a slog to get there.

Also started Red Rising by Pierce Brown. Enjoying it so far!

Last edited:
I just finished The Last Unicorn, by Peter S Beagle.

It's a fairy tale, and is beautifully written. The last unicorn goes to find out what happened to the other unicorns, in the company of the world's worst magician and a cook. I didn't want it to end, but wasn't disappointed when it did.

Highly recommended.

I've got about 5 minutes of 'Not Till We Are Lost' (Bobiverse Book 5). After book 4 being mainly one story, nIt's back to the multiple threads style which has been better, but also I've not always kept up with each thread. Maybe I'm letting myself get distracted. It's a good book, better than 4, but not as good as the first three.

I just finished The Last Unicorn, by Peter S Beagle.

It's a fairy tale, and is beautifully written. The last unicorn goes to find out what happened to the other unicorns, in the company of the world's worst magician and a cook. I didn't want it to end, but wasn't disappointed when it did.

Highly recommended.

Try "Folk of The Air" next if you can find a copy.

Just finished "Emperor of Rome" by Mary Beard, now onto the remaining two books of Lev Grossman's Magician Trilogy. The first ("The Magicians") was good enough to make me buy the other two volumes.

Billy Connolly Autobiography - Windswept and Interesting..... More a collection of what he has already said on stage with a bit more about when he was growing up. Absolutely brilliant. Hard not to read it hearing his accent !!

Last edited:
Just finished Station Eleven, having seen the TV show at the time several years ago, I felt that it edged out the book, but maybe that's because I saw it first.

Also dipping into William Trevor: The Collected Stories. A doorstopper of a book at 1260 odd pages, but the stories themselves are about 14 or so pages long on average so far. Easy reading and quite affecting in a short space of time

read and put down cloud atlas by David Mitchell
that was a good read, slightly let down by the fact that ive've seen the movie too, but tbh the book was better than the movie, so i'm glad I read it (thoroughly recommended I can't really say what it is about because it is more up to the reader to get it
there was enough of a dystopian theme to some of the book to leave me wanting some more dystopian goodness, but I cba to read 1984 again, so I picked up "the giver" instead
a very enjoyable read that one, and a much quicker read than anything i've been reading over the last year,
currently reading " censoring an iranian love story" by Shahriar Mandanipour because I heard a snippet of it being read on radio 4, and liked what I heard
currently learning about censorship, and the rules of what men and women can, and cannot do in Iran, the love story has been slow off the mark, but as the whole theme is about doing a love story in Iran, it has to be slow, and not too vulgar or it will be banned, learning a lot of tricks that authors have used there to get around continued consorship, it is quite dry in its humour which I am looking forward to more of, when I finish it, i'll go to the second book of the giver quartet
If you can't be arsed with 1984 but want a similar vibe try Futuretrack 5 by Robert Westall.

Working my way through The Expanse (James Corey) just now after watching the TV series. Currently about half-way through book 5.

I used to read a lot and then drifted away from it and haven't read a proper book for around 20 years. I forgot how much I enjoyed it so this series has been great so far albeit I loved the show so kinda know roughly what to expect.

The books really are enjoyable :cool:

After having a break from Nick Stone books (Andy McNab) as book 5 was just faaaaaaaaar too much detail and very slow, I gave it another go with book 6 Dark Winter. Most of it was paced better, but wow... brutal ending!

Been reading 'Saltblood' by Francesca De Tores. Really good story of the pirate, Mary Read, set in the late 1600s, early 1700s. I believe it's her first novel too.

I think someone on the TV thread mentioned Silo S2 was coming soon, so I thought I'd better get on with reading Wool. I'm not even half way in and realise we've covered S1 already. The TV show is quite loosely based on the book, with a lot extra thrown in. I'm enjoying the book though.

Back
Top Bottom