What book are you reading...

I decided to re-read The Wheel Of Time.

Book 0.5 New Spring, quite slow going but it gives some history on Moiraine and her search for The Dragon Reborn, not sure its really needed for a new reader to begin with this book but it does help with the back story.

Book 1 The Dragon Reborn, really enjoyed this, reminds me why i loved this series and wanted to re-read them again

I want to ask a question regarding reading a whole series of books in order. one after the other.

I have previously read The Wheel Of Time, Malazan, ASOIAF, Michael Connelly, etc., the entire series, one book after another.

Do many readers do this?

I noticed after my re-read of Michael Connelly, that after 4 or 5 books, they were kind of blending all together.

I am the kind of reader, that once i have read a good book, i will often ruminate about it, and if i am reading a whole series back to back, i feel that i don't get a chance for a proper reflection on the book.

I want to ask a question regarding reading a whole series of books in order. one after the other.

I have previously read The Wheel Of Time, Malazan, ASOIAF, Michael Connelly, etc., the entire series, one book after another.

Do many readers do this?

I noticed after my re-read of Michael Connelly, that after 4 or 5 books, they were kind of blending all together.

I am the kind of reader, that once i have read a good book, i will often ruminate about it, and if i am reading a whole series back to back, i feel that i don't get a chance for a proper reflection on the book.

I will often intersperse heavy books with either lighter stuff (such as novellas or short story anthologies) as a kind of mental palate cleanser. I find big thinky books or long stories need a bit of digestion time. Too many books in one series can get a bit samey, almost mentally numbing. It can really show where a series drops off, usually where an author is running out of steam/interest, or just plain rehashing the same old ground.

Last edited:
if i am reading a whole series back to back, i feel that i don't get a chance for a proper reflection on the book.
I have a few different series that I'm swapping between...
I will often intersperse heavy books with either lighter stuff
...a bit like this. So, Michael Connelly book, then Bobiverse, then Reacher, then Thursday Murder Club, now back to Bosch.

What I am finding, I don't do well remembering names and what they did before, so I'm just reading 'The Narrows' which is the follow on from 'The Poet' and I can't really remember enough of what happened in the first book. Luckily my mum just finished 'The Poet' so I've been able to ask her who did what and bits have come back to me.

My 10 year old just finished reading Northern Lights by Philip Pullman, so I’m doing my first reread of it since it was released.

...a bit like this. So, Michael Connelly book, then Bobiverse, then Reacher, then Thursday Murder Club, now back to Bosch.

What I am finding, I don't do well remembering names and what they did before, so I'm just reading 'The Narrows' which is the follow on from 'The Poet' and I can't really remember enough of what happened in the first book. Luckily my mum just finished 'The Poet' so I've been able to ask her who did what and bits have come back to me.
Yeah, thats what i get.
At the start of the year i read the whole Michael Connelly series of books and after a few they all blended into one, except for the Jake McEvoy or The Lincoln Lawyer books, which as there only a few in those series, its quite easy to keep track on all the characters.

I usually like to read the whole series, but this time i am trying to mix it up

Recently finished Outland: Quantum Earth, Book 1 (Audiobook). Loved it, not too much fluff.
Of course, Ray Porter's narration was excellent, as always.

I'm a good chunk into Earthside: Quantum Earth, Book 2, which isn't grabbing me as much, but I'll stick with it.

Finally finished Earthsea: The first four books, by Ursula K LeGuin. A story about a boy who is sent to an institution to become a wizard and some of the adventures he has. Sounds familiar...

Conceived well before Potter though and a riveting read. Not much of a fantasy head so pleasantly surprised to find this very engaging. 9/10

Finally finished Earthsea: The first four books, by Ursula K LeGuin. A story about a boy who is sent to an institution to become a wizard and some of the adventures he has. Sounds familiar...

Conceived well before Potter though and a riveting read. Not much of a fantasy head so pleasantly surprised to find this very engaging. 9/10

My view is that they are best fantasy books of all. LeGuin's ability to tell you everything you need to know about place/person/time in a paragraph contrasts with the current fantasy idea that no story is complete without two hundred pages of exposition that no-one cares about. But you have two more books to go yet.

I like variety, so don't read "series" books as a chunk.

As someone else said, that can get a bit samey.

Just went from the 16th century spice trade to a cowboy novel

Rather than start a new thread I thought I might get advice here.

Where do people look for new book recommendations, I currently just browse the Waterstones tables or similar in independent bookshops but it's a bit hit and miss for new authors so I'm always waiting until someone is well established.

Time was (20+ years ago) I regularly read SFX and would pick up recommendations in their book section. Are their any good book review magazines or websites people can recommend? I'm mostly interested in Sci-Fi and fantasy but not exclusively.

Any advice much appreciated.

Rather than start a new thread I thought I might get advice here.

Where do people look for new book recommendations, I currently just browse the Waterstones tables or similar in independent bookshops but it's a bit hit and miss for new authors so I'm always waiting until someone is well established.

Time was (20+ years ago) I regularly read SFX and would pick up recommendations in their book section. Are their any good book review magazines or websites people can recommend? I'm mostly interested in Sci-Fi and fantasy but not exclusively.

Any advice much appreciated.

For me its the similar books you may like on Audible, think they call it "because you listed to xxx"
Occasionally I will google best fantasy list or something just to see if I missed anything or something new is making top 20 lists etc

I have found that a few books that I couldn't get into/found hard going in hard format I found far better on audible. Including WOT.
I found WOT in paper format really hard going as the pace is so slow at times, but in audible terms far far more entertaining since you can do something else at the same time (pretending your not watching the hot birds round the pool, some DIY, weeding at the allotment etc)
Sorry off topic that last bit :)

Back
Top Bottom