What book are you reading...

Soldato
Currently reading Steve Alten - The Mayan Resurrection.

Only a few pages in but so far it's ok. Read the first book The Mayan Prophecy during my time in Peru/Ecuador. Kept me entertained, much like Matthew Reilly books. Adventure, guns and ancient mystical history and end of world scenarios.

I didn't know this was a trilogy so I'll have to buy the 3rd book at some point.

Commissario
Not quite a book, but a novella...
I read the new Laundry file story 'Equiod' by Charlie Stross last night, I spotted it up on tor.com and started to read the first ocuple of paragraphs and ended up reading the whole thing in one sitting.
Really good, really well done and a bit icky :p

I'm also starting on the Wheel of Time series, which looks interesting (it took me a while to get into it).

Soldato
1356 - Bernard Cornwell. The fourth book in the grail quest series. They are set during the Hundred years war.

I didn't know this was out, or even being written. I read the other 3 a few years ago. I've just looked and I've also missed the latest Alfred the Great & Uhtred book. I hate it when this happens as it's been so long since I read them.

I can recommend the Warlord Chronicles series by Bernard Cornwell if you haven't read them.

I'm going for The Shadow of the Wind due to the praise in this thread.

I've just finished Speaker for the Dead, the sequel to Ender's Game - it's a good book, very different to the first but it's a well written, good story that has kept me interested until the end.

Associate
Only recently finished Lies of Locke, will have to man the second and read it next week ready for book 3!

Just picked it up with book 11 of the Dresden files, really enjoyable series.

I've read his Codex Alera volumes, but not the Dresden Files. I never realised there were as many as 11 books in the series now. Must pick them up at some point ; so many books to read ... and so little time !

I've now moved on to a quick read of The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss whilst I await my copy of The Republic of Thieves to arrive. Despite owning the book for an age I've yet to read it ... keep on getting told how wonderful it is. Finding it enjoyable thus far ....

Soldato
I don't read anywhere near as much as I should, but I'm about to give something new a go.

I picked up a copy of Neil Gaiman's American Gods last year to impress a girl I was trying to date. She's now my girlfriend and I still haven't read it!

Am I in for a good read?

Associate
American gods is good but my favourite is Never where :)

Reading Prey by Michael Critchen (I have no idea how to spell his name!). Im finding it really good so far.

I've decided I'm buying no more books until I read everything on my shelves and that way I can get rid of the ones I know I'm not going to read again. I don't buy digital books so I need the space, I've already got 3 bookshelves that are overflowing!

Soldato
I've just finished a couple of books. First was The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, which is an improvement over the Mistborn books. I didn't realise that Elantris, Warbreaker, Mistborn and The Stormlight saga are all part of a 36 volume Cosmere series set in a shared universe, similar to The Eternal Champion books by Michael Moorcock. IIRC the only common thread so far is a character named Hoid - should be interesting to see where that develops. Given his mind-boggling output, he'll probably have the full Cosmere out before GRRM hands in A Dream Of Spring.

I've also finished The Republic Of Theives, which unfortunately bears the scars of its troubled gestation. Whilst well written, the A and B plots are both rather simplistic compared to earlier outings. Having said that, some intruiging revelations and the new antagonist reveal in the epilogue will have me snapping up a copy of The Thorn Of Emberlain when it arrives.

Soldato
I am close to the end of the first The Way of Kings book. It is good, as said above, much better than Mistborn, which I didn't even finish tbh. It does seem to me like a lot of the lore is a little forced though, if you know what I mean.

Soldato
American gods is good but my favourite is Never where :)

Reading Prey by Michael Critchen (I have no idea how to spell his name!). Im finding it really good so far.

I've decided I'm buying no more books until I read everything on my shelves and that way I can get rid of the ones I know I'm not going to read again. I don't buy digital books so I need the space, I've already got 3 bookshelves that are overflowing!

Neverwhere and American Gods are both great, very hard to pick between them. Really enjoyed Anansi Boys too.
I've read his Codex Alera volumes, but not the Dresden Files. I never realised there were as many as 11 books in the series now. Must pick them up at some point ; so many books to read ... and so little time !

I've now moved on to a quick read of The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss whilst I await my copy of The Republic of Thieves to arrive. Despite owning the book for an age I've yet to read it ... keep on getting told how wonderful it is. Finding it enjoyable thus far ....

Dresden files are brilliant. By no means highbrow literary classics but a really fun and engaging read, really well developed story and good characters. Good old page turner!

I'm halfway through Red Skies... The second Locke Lamira book, I'm enjoying it like the last but for some reason I do struggle to really get into them. 69% though then onto next Dresden book :)

Associate
Finally started reading the wheel of time series. About half way through the first book, got a lot of reading ahead of me lol

Soldato
Just listened to - I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan

Very funny, tried audio books for the first time just for this. Brilliant for the commute to work.

Soldato
Just listened to - I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan

Very funny, tried audio books for the first time just for this. Brilliant for the commute to work.

It is absolutely brilliant. Imo, the best thing Partridge has ever done. The audio book is basically a 6 hour long episode of I'm Alan Partridge. If anything though, I actually preferred the book tbh, as it has some really funny annotation, and some of the jokes work really well when read.

Soldato
On book 8 of the Malazan series, Toll the Hound. I'm finding this one to be a real grind after not being able to put the others down. How crucial to the story arc is it if I just move on to Dust of Dreams?

Very crucial.

The majority is a bit boring but the ending (if I'm thinking of the right one) is one of the best OMFG moments alongside the end of Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice.

Back
Top Bottom