What car do you drive and why?

Associate
Current car: Honda Civic Type R Ep3

Why: Good looking car IMO, drives well, and the engine is more less bullet proof. I just don't do the car justice due to me being a right sunday driver (at times) and the fact I live 5 minutes drive from work so I mainly do short journeys!

Next Car: No idea, will be someone small and economical.

Why: Buying a house next year so this will be sold to fund the deposit. Been meaning to sell it for the last 3 months but keep putting it off! Will be in the Autotrader in the next couple of weeks :( will miss it so much.

If I wasn't getting a house I'd 99% get a white DC5.

Soldato
Current: 1999 Ford Focus 1.6 LX

Why: It's my first car. I was shopping around for cars about two years ago and was looking at the usual raft of Fiestas, Corsas, Clios and Peugeots because, well, that's what everyone else I knew had started off in. Then I realised that the Focus (Which Id previously thought would be out of my price range) was more practical, easier to insure, bigger, more powerful and cheap to run as all these cars, and I found one within the same sort of price as the smaller options. Ticked all the boxes for my lifestyle: small and simple enough to be cheap to run, big enough for me and all my friends and good enough for the occasional motorway slog. I also happened to really like the looks of it. So far I've not been dissapointed; Ive been all over in it, trips to Alton Towers, Calais, Dunkerque and Brussels, and it hasn't missed a beat. I really do like it. I know everyone will make the usual "Pfft, tiny 1.6 engine, absolute rubbish, if it makes less than 200bhp, dont even talk to me" comments, but I dont really care. Two years down the the line and it's been fantastic fun, a great ownership experience and it's only now that I'm starting to think about owning something with more power.

Next: Unknown really. Although the Focus is adeqaute for my needs, I must admit I would like to see more power and refinement from my next car. But I also dont want to break the bank. A BMW 3-series would probably be ideal for me, but it's being able to stomach the cost that puts me off. My next sensible choice will probably end up being a Mk3 Mondeo in top spec, as it seems to be big and refined enough to be a decent upgrade whilst remaining excellent value for money.

Associate
Current car : Civic Type S (3rd Gen Civic)

Why : Wanted something reliable and fairly economical (when driven in low revs :p) but to have some oomph to over take when changing from my old FIAT (The fiat was useless at over taking). I also like the shape of the old 2004 Civic. I nearly got a Type R but the Type S has better ride comfort and is more practical at the cost of loosing a bit of power.

Next Car : Hopefully a nice 2nd/3rd hand BMW in good condition. I won't lie and say I have a clue about them so I will be mithering here when it is time to change :). I won't be buying new as I have never seen the point in paying top dollar for something that immediately takes a huge drop in value as you drive it off the forecourt.

Last edited:
Associate
Current Car: Astra SXi
Why: Fairly cheap to insure. Gets me to work and back and never had any real problems with it.

Next Car: No idea, just passed my bike test so looking at getting a bike first.

Soldato
Current Car: Skoda Octavia vRS (Mk2, 2007)

Recent History: My last two vehicles have been "brand new" run of the mill. This time around I wanted to go for something older - let somebody else take the hit on value and myself to get more "car for my money".

Why the vRS: I wanted something that could give me power and speed when I want it.
The 2.0 TFSI engine gives me that.
The engine is refined and the vehicle is just a joy to drive.
I've always felt the vRS is very under-stated in looks, a real "Wolf in sheeps clothing".
A slightly aggreeive front end and again from the back nothing OTT until you notice the spoiler, the twin exhaust.
I got plenty of car for my money.

Future: It is going to be 3-4 years before I'm even thinking of a new car (unless the credit crunch really bites and it becomes too difficult to run this one).
This is my first Skoda but I'll definitely be looking at them again as you do get so much for your cash.

Soldato
Current Car: Volvo S60 T5 SE

Why: I like the look of the S60, always have, and it ticked all the boxes for cost, performance, comfort and toys. I never really go 'blasting down the twisties' so I just want something that will waft me non-stop from one end of the country to the other but still have enough poke to get me out of busy roundabouts round old folks on A roads.

Next Car: Not planning one at the moment. About a year ago I was going to put up £15k of my own money and a £10k loan and I was looking at an SLK350. Given how much they have dropped in price I wouldn't need the loan any more, but I'd just got more important things to spend my money on (like overloading the mortgage) at the moment. Still want an SLK or similar, but I'm getting to an age where the next car might have to be more child friendly.

Associate
Current Car: 6N2 Polo 1 liter

Why: Sharing with mum atm, always liked VWdubs anyways due to my dad. Does what every small car does. Has character and have been on a lot of fun nights out driving with mates.

Next car: Mk3 Polo G40. Pocket rocket with a superchared 1.3l engine. :D Sounds just right for a 18/19 to have.

Soldato
Current Car: 2004 Civic Sport 1.6

Why: I bought it last year, on finance, probably overpriced, tbh I never really browsed the motors forum here or knew much about cars until I bought this then came here (Came from a 1.3 Fiesta Encore \o/) as much as I love the car, I know for the LARGE sum I paid for it, what I could have gotten now, as happy as I am with the car, I almost feel I did myself an injustice buying it now, but at the time I wanted a step up from the Fiesta and just didn't know much, in all honesty.

Next Car: REALLY unsure, as Fox/a few others know! I was really teoted to go for an ITR or Celica 190, but right now I'm talking myself out of that, as much as I'd like a high revving, rev your nuts off engine, I'm just not sure its really me right now, if I did go for a high revver, it'd be maybe a 2004ish S2000 as a car after next car. Current thoughts right now are situating around an E46 320/330ci, A3 1.8T, something with a nice power band, comfortable, seats 4 nicely and doesn't cost the earth and a half to run.

Soldato
Current Car: Cadillac Seville STS 4.6 V8

Why: I like to be different, love lots of comfort and gadgets and wanted something with a V8 from the USA

Next car: Probably something random I cant think of, but really want something old school and with a v8 from the usa. :p

Associate
Current Car: 07 Ford Focus ST

Why: I wanted it, it has a nice spec and great 5 pot engine, and i prefered it to the Golf GTI, Astra OPC and a few others i was looking at.

Next Car: None, trying to sell the ST as in Feb-March i am heading off on a 1.5-2 yaer world trip.

Associate
Current Car: Mazda RX-7 non turbo (88)
Why?: Because it puts a smile on face. It handles brilliantly, its quicker than anything ive ever owned, i still consider it slow tho. Also i decided i want to own it in preparation For FD. Also its the only rotary i can afford. Oh and its rwd

Next: RX-7 TurboII jap import

Why: cheaper than an FD :D

Last edited:
Associate
Current Car: 08 Hilux Double Cab SR D4D

Why?: Because i drive on unsealed roads/non existant roads a lot so a 4x4 is essential. Toyotas and Nissans are all you use out bush if you want relaibility on the harsh tracks.

Next: Would love a 200 series Landcruiser once the price drops and aftermarket accesories become more available
Or, perhaps a Holden Commodore V8 Ute/ Ford Falcon V8 ute for a bit of fun!

Caporegime
Current car : Peugot 207 GTi
Why : Because the car lease of £110 p/m was far friendlier than the £180 A3 option. Plus it's quite fun in a warm hatch kind of way.

Next car : Moving to New Zealand so almost certainly a JDM import. An Evo if I can get her to agree :)

Soldato
Current Car - Lupo GTI

Why - When they first came out I saw it and loved it, so I have always wanted one. They are rare - only ~1000 were made IIRC and are a lot of fun. Not that quick, similar to a Fez ST performance wise but remember its only a 1.6. The 6 speed box is fantastic.

Next car - VX220 - Again, another car that I saw and loved. Totally impractical, but on the other hand, so utterly brilliant. Even if it does have a Vecra engine

Caporegime
Current Car: Mk2 T Reg Mondeo

Why: Because it means OcUK love me! No, seriously, because its the best £700 ive ever spent!

Next: Something bigger and faster, like and ST220, or something smaller and lighter, like and MK Indy... depending on how much money I have to dispose of.

Associate
Current Car: Audi S3 2002 225

Why: The right size for my needs, moderately quick (enough for me), solid, comfortable (electric leather Recaro seats etc), subtle looking, not that many around (where I am anyway), nice easy drive, Quattro etc.

Next car: BMW Alpina D3 bi turbo

Why: Decent performance and a refined diesel engine returning around 50mpg. And we have a child on the way so may need a little more space seeing as the wife has a Z3.

Back
Top Bottom