What car do you drive and why?

Soldato
'96 Mitsubishi Colt Mirage - Why... Well it's my first car and it was reasonable to buy, reasonable to insure, cheap to run. On top of that I wanted something that was designed properly so it had to be Jap, I love the quirky styling and the rarity factor, I've only ever seen 2 others the same, even the non-Mirage ones are a rare sight. Drives nicely too, had a 4 wheel alignment recently and it has made the world of difference, drives great now, can't believe i'd be using it with duff geo for nearly a year! Anyway thats a lesson learned, all my future cars will have alignment checked/set as a matter of priority.

What next? Undecided on this one, either a JDM Mirage Cyborg or a Civic SiR. Both with manic 8200rpm 1600cc engines with variable lift and timing. Mirage is better on looks inside and out, much better ergonomically inside, and comes with Recaro seats and Momo wheel and is newer. However the Civic has the edge when it comes to handling and engine power, oh and parts availability is much better. Difficult decision, if only I could have both :p

Soldato
Current Car: 306 GTi6

Why: Always fancied one and it's a great mix of chuckability and comfort for long journey's. Prefered the size over a Saxo/106/Clio as I carry 3 or 4 people pretty often (well I used too) and I go camping a fair bit too. Been a great fun car and never let me down. Will definately miss it when I sell it.

Next Car: No idea. Could be something like a Octavia VRS, MX5 or a bike. Depends on my situation, no plans as yet.

Caporegime
Current Car,1999 Mondeo TD.

Why? - I'm ****'ed if I know! :o - Its an automotive turd. :p

(Well, previously had a BMW 7 Series which was costing a lot to run which did not fit in with my finances at the time, so I sold it and spend the majority on a Holiday!)

Bought the Mondeo with the spare change.

Next car, possibly, an e38 740i more likely a late e36 328i or early 3.0 e36 M3 with an outside chance of either a scabby e39 M5 or Mint e34 M5 - The M5 choice would involve me keeping the Mondeo for day to day use and the M would be a weekend toy.

Associate
Current car = punto GT
Why: I purchased it about 4 years ago for £650 (dads mate was going to part chop it so I got it for what they offered) as needed a cheapish car to get to work (2miles away) . Have kept it since as not really had any problems with it (except a new turbo) and its fine for my needs (it has actually just passed the MOT with no faults at 130,000 miles).

Next Car = S2000, Z4, Cerbera or 911.
Why: well choice will depend on if I keep the punto for another 1 or 2 years and financial ruin due to wedding/doing the house up. It also doesnt need to be that reliable as work is only 2 miles away and the missus has a car. When driving to the lakes and the dales the other day I decided that I needed something with a bit more power, RWD and a nicer interior and I have had the punto for 4+ years. I am planning a track day this year/early next year in some fancy cars so this might bring the date forward.

Last edited:
Associate
Current Car:

2001 Honda Accord VTEC Sport 1.8i

Why

Because it looks great ( Milan Red ) and was prob as fast as i could afford to insure having only been driving 10 months

Next Car

C Series Kompressor or BMW 5 Series

Why

Because its stunning and i can finaly afford one ;)

Soldato
Current car:

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec.

Why:

Its a first car, cheap to insure and run.

Next:

As i don't use a car for commuting to work I'm toying with the idea of just getting a fun car for the weekends. A car Ive always wanted to own is a Integra DC2.

Would need a few years no claims though, I'm still getting the we cant quote you please ring us at the moment.

Man of Honour
Maybe I should do this sensibly now.

Current car: BMW 530i Sport

Why: I wanted to replace my Mondeo with something similar in concept (Sporty looking saloon-style car, lots of kit, good at everything I'd ever want rather than excellent at some things and poor at others) but which was better built, faster, better looking and had a 6+ cylinder engine. I've always been a fan of the E39 5 Series ever since I once saw an M5 just after they came out whilst walking to school and the chance to own one was tempting - but of course, I was a huge Mondeo fanboy and the ST220 was also in budget. Went with the E39 530i Sport in the end as it ticked every box and then some - it was beautifully built, it looked great, had all the kit I needed, excellent performance, reasonable economy, perfect blend of handling and comfort for me, etc etc. I was also able to afford one that was less than 5 years old - important to me, although I don't mind owning an older car I'd rather not buy an older car - my Mondeo was 4 years old when I got it, I wanted similar from my next car.

I've had it 2 years today - and I'm just as happy with it now as I was then. Infact, more so, it has surpassed all my ownership expectations and I absolutely love it, still.

Whats next?

Truthfully I don't really know. I've always wanted an E39 M5 and it remains my dream car. But I'm being torn - one way by my love for and desire to own an E39 M5, but the other by the fact I'm really rather fussy and would prefer to buy a car less than 5 years old with only one previous owner. The last E39 M5's rolled off the production line in June 2003 :(

So, my options as I see it, which will largely depend on my working circumstances in about a years time, are as follows:

a) E39 M5
b) E90/E92 LCI 330i M Sport
c) Every time I drive the Z4 I get tempted by the idea of keeping the 530i and getting something daft like an M3 Cab to go with it, but... I'm not sure
d) Retain the 530i. Why change it? It's still in mint condition, I still love it, and the money I'd spend on replacing it buys a heck of a lot of petrol to take it all over Europe
e) This is the least likely but I'm really taken with the idea of something like an S55/E55 AMG. Just... autobox :(

So there :)

Soldato
Current Car: 2001 BMW 320i SE Facelift

Why: Because it was the best car close to 200BHP I could get insured on for a reasonable amount at 19. It was always the next logical steup. My shortlist always came down to and E46 being the best most realistic choice. Also because I've wanted a BMW for as long as I can remember and it makes the 30 mile drive to work effortless and a LOT more pleasent. It also happens to just be a damn good car and met my budget perfectly, I look forward to many years of happy motoring from it (fingers crossed at least ;))

Next Car:

BMW 330i Sport is next target. (E46)

Soldato
Ok, Ok

Easyriders location : In denial

I saw the light when I had actually drove more and more of them and got to know the cars better. I also said I wanted a BMW for as long as I can remember not specifically the 3. The 3 just happened to be the best choice for me in terms of what I use it for and budget ;)

They're still crap though and my Focus is/was much better.

I also hate you Fox

:p

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally Posted by Tom|Nbk View Post
I've wanted a BMW for as long as I can remember

Originally Posted by Tom|Nbk, a few months ago View Post
Face it the 3 Series is nothing special, its just a rep-mobile, no better than my Focus

Maybe he wants to just fit in on the forum? ^

Current Car: Volvo S40 2.0 (yellow). I bought it because my Honda Prelude (4th gen) died and I needed a quick replacement. Mum was selling it and she had bought it brand new. It was cheap and it made sense even if it was yellow. I don't regret it, it was very cheap motoring for over a year. I hammered it everywhere and nothing broke, only had to replace tyres!

Next car: Honda Prelude (5th gen). Picking up this weekend. Would have a teg but this makes more sense :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Why: I like the looks of it and I do a lot of miles on the motorway

:eek: That's all you've got to say about your super awesome brilliant mega fantastic diesely BMW?!?! I'm gobsmacked!

For me... Rover 420 GSi Turbo

Why I bought it... After having 2 214's and then moving upto a 220 GSi, it was the next logical step up. I've owned it for about 18 months (longest I've owned a car!) and have no plans to sell for a while. It's getting on a bit now but still goes like stink and is fantastic fun to drive... I recently got a g'metered 0-60 time of 6.5 seconds with a boot FULL of crap. And people say Rovers are slow and unreliable.

What's next... Probably an early Evo or classic Scoob. I love Scoobs but am tempted to go for the Evo mainly down to the fact that they aren't quite as common.

Caporegime
Ok, Ok

Easyriders location : In denial

Don't bring my name into it and don't try and wriggle out of it.:D

Truth is you said BMW's are no better than a focus and now you own one they are the best things since sliced bread.

And fox said if your getting a E46 then don't get anything other than a sport.

On the latter porint I CBA to do a search to rumble fox aswell:p;)

Back
Top Bottom