What controller do you use on your PC?

Associate
When people are saying "Xbox 1" are they referring to the new one or the original xbox? Is that still compatible?

New console is called the Series X or Series S. So Xbox One is the old console. It appears people vary in their preference for which one as they are different each gen. There's also the Elite version of pad which has had a few changes IIRC, but it's ludicrously expensive.

Man of Honour
Xbox Elite Series II controller.

Those of you hanging on to old Xbox 360 controllers, Don't underestimate how much better a new controller might be.

The Elite 2 thumb sticks are a significant downgrade compared to the Elite 1 though. The very large amount of stick wobble means that small movements are far less accurate to make.

I use the Elite 1 on my PC and keep the Elite 2 for the XBox where huge auto aim makes up for the inaccurate sticks.

Soldato
The Elite 2 thumb sticks are a significant downgrade compared to the Elite 1 though. The very large amount of stick wobble means that small movements are far less accurate to make.

I use the Elite 1 on my PC and keep the Elite 2 for the XBox where huge auto aim makes up for the inaccurate sticks.

That's good to know.

I was actively looking to buy an Elite 2 but was put off a bit by the non-replaceable battery.

Luckily, an Elite 1 popped up on the MM with the wireless receiver thrown in, so nabbed that.

Bought a twin pack of 2800Mah batteries plus charger on offer from Amazon, and the seller threw in another twin pack for a five star review, which I had no problem giving because they last for an absolute age. especially considering the Elite has more substantial motors than the stock version.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
New console is called the Series X or Series S. So Xbox One is the old console. It appears people vary in their preference for which one as they are different each gen. There's also the Elite version of pad which has had a few changes IIRC, but it's ludicrously expensive.
Ooooohh, so I've bought a Series X/S pad, not a One pad haha - man, I'm even more out of date than I though :D

ZcJ3RHRl.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Ooooohh, so I've bought a Series X/S pad, not a One pad haha - man, I'm even more out of date than I though :D

I dunno what the new pads are like, but the One i really didn't like. The bumpers were far to high to my fingers, i had to move my fingers uncomfortably up, whereas on the 360 it's quite natural. The d-pads on all of them don't compare to Sony's though, Sony has the best d-pad imo.

Associate
Xbox 1 Wireless for racing sims. I have 360 wired and to be honest, they are both great. Pad racing will never be as good as a wheel, with decent settings I have found that they are fine for casual racing.

I own a G27 wheel for race sims, but I gave up using as its a faff setting up and I use my PC for WFH, Win10 compatibility is now a nightmare, its no longer detected (a known issue) given up with it and banished to the garage.

Thrustmaster Hotas X for flight sims and Arma, I had hoped this was compatible with my Series X, but not to be, it was one of the earlier versions. A proper joystick is night and day for flight sims.

Man of Honour
Xbox 360 wireless pad with a proper microsoft wireless adaptor
Saitek X45 HOTAS with a hacked set of generic USB pedals as rudder pedals
Belkin N52 keypad usually with Logitech G502 Litespeed (My best mouse purchase ever)
Sinden Lightgun while I play with getting it setup properly for arcade games.
Wii Classic Pro with a USB adaptor. Works with Wii Classic and SNES classic pads as well, perfect for emulation.

No wheel at the moment... No space for it. Other half using my playroom/office for working from home.

Need to fix my Thrustmaster Warthog. Cable got caught and partly snipped through. :(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Xbox 360 controller, though I hardly ever use it.

Same here. I'd only use it for racing games, but I'd have to get around to some sort of intermediary software to allow me to remap the buttons properly how I want them (removing the need to use my thumbs much, essentially) as it seems that games usually don't bother with allowing remapping on controllers. I'm so used to playing racing games on a keyboard that I've managed to raise my ability to do so to merely bad. It'll never be better than bad when using a keyboard for a racing game. I had a wheel and pedals at one point, but decided it was too much faff to build something to allow me to mount them and swing them in and out of use as required. I don't play racing games seriously enough or often enough for that sort of thing.

I also have a HOTAS setup, which is game-changing for any appropriate game. Just a basic model, a Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X, but for any game involving flight done in anything like a serious way a HOTAS setup is just simply the right input device for the job. Anything else is like using a spanner as a hammer. It'll work, mostly. But it's not the right tool for the job.

Soldato
Pad wise I an XBox 360 controller and an old PS2 pad permanently connected to my PC. The PS2 pad uses a USB dongle and as still my goto pad of the two. I also have a PS4 so could use the PS4 pad, but I can't be bothered to go through the pairing exercise every time I swap between console and PC, unless someone knows a way to 100% avoid that. (other than "buy another ps4 pad")

Other than that I have ancient MS Sidewinder FF2 joystick and MS Sidewinder FF Steering Wheel controllers, which I treat with the utmost respect and care, as is their right.

Soldato
Xbox one, and Xbox 360 in the past, I have also used PS4 at some point as I needed the gyroscope movement while playing Zelda BOTW, all worked without any issues.

Associate
I use the Xbox elite series 2 controller for every game I play from racing to FPS and I absolutely love it. The paddles on the back are the main reason I went elite as they are so much easier to press than pressing the thumbstick buttons constantly.

I did have the elite 1 and the 2 is better for me in every way, I find the sticks are nicer and the battery life is a non issue. Supposedly has a 40hr battery life which is more than enough to never have to worry about even if your gaming all day long as you can just dock it in the included charging dock when not in use to keep it topped up. Battery has never died on me and I've never even seen the low battery warning. The elite 1 though the battery was crap and constantly died. So glad they went with a good built in one.

Started using Xbox controllers when GTA 5 came out on the PC and have never stopped using them since, way more comfortable than a mouse and keyboard especially for long hours. Even in PvP I can occasionally hold my own against the mouse users :D.

A controller will never be as quick and responsive as a mouse and keyboard but personally I'll never go back to one for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom