What did you do to your bike today?

Associate
The best looking bike owned by a member of these forums (imo).

DAT TRIUMPH. mmm, divine.

Thank you! :) She's already taken me round France, Belgium and Germany in 2011. This year we're heading to France, Monaco, Italy and Switzerland. Yesterday's rack and rails task was to ensure I had a slightly more elegant solution than "have a really large backpack".

Soldato
How good are they? I am very tempted to hit the order button on the HEL website.

HAHA love the pic :D

They are great when coupled with new pads!
Honestly most people would struggle to notice any difference with normal road riding, the standard rubber tubing can take plenty of brake pressure.
If you are a heavy brake user / track day goer then definitely change, otherwise I would not change until your service schedule says to...
The obvious benefit is they look great and you never have to change them again :)

Soldato
Well yestaday,

Gave my bike a good clean from all the scrap it collected getting lost through delmer forest, and cleaned the chain to get rid of all the **** that was stuck to it. It seems a lot better now changing gears but I do think I do need a new chain as I think I have tight links on the chain.

Associate
I finally finished off the changes I was doing to my electrics.

So the bike has now has a new battery, new rectifier and replacement wiring all the way from the alternator thru the rectifier and thru to the battery. Why? an article on Ducati-Up-North basically outlined everything thats wrong with the charging system and possible fixes. I got to this point after far too many recovery trips on the back of RAC and other independent rescue trucks. I've made some mistakes along the way, but got there in the end.

I initially thought it was this bugger here..
P1020600.jpg

so I replaced it with some weatherproof connectors. It wasnt.

Oh and this is what happens when you order connectors not designed for the current from an alternator...
P1020672.jpg

They've since been replaced by some connectors that ARE capable of handling the current.

So a few weeks back the bike got this treatment.
IMAG0070.jpg

so I could check the condition of the alternator and replace all the relevant wiring from alternator > rectifier > battery. I also fitted up a volt meter so I could see how the battery volts were charging (or not) while out on the road.

Last weekend, the rectifier was fitted (having moved it somewhere it wont cook)
P1020683.jpg

Took the bike for a test ride tuesday, cracked out 45 miles, during which the (original) battery dropped from 13.5v down to 12.6 on startup, then dropped down to 11.6 by ride end. So basically, although my charger could charge the battery, the bike couldnt. Looking thru the receipts/invoices from the bike (its got a folder thicker than Jimmy Carr's bank account) I couldnt see a replacement battery ever.

So today a new battery was fitted, (different make and size, better spec) and I spent about an hour cutting, bending and drilling a strip of aluminium (dont laugh, never done this before :p ) and altering the battery holder to suit.
P1020682.jpg

So now the bike looks like this
P1020681.jpg

Took the bike for a testride to check the volts and also to make sure the battery wasnt going to fall out going round righthand bends! Voltage pre and after startup was 12.6, after 10 miles, the readings were still 12.5v (close enough).

Would have stayed out longer, but it was chucking it down with rain, and the cold river down the crack of my jeans was really annoying.

Bring on the weekend when I can give it a proper go.

Associate
Been out on the GSXR on my own after its little rebuild (finally!)

Rode it ~600 miles mostly below 6k to bed the rings in so got to have a good play up to 10k, its nuts!! Already managed to pop a wheelie with the GF and luggage on the back pulling away, but solo riding is something else, no effort needed just open it up and hang on!

Had a massive grin but its finished off the chain and sprockets so they're next on the list, should be here today!

Front forks need a rebuild too as the chrome has worn through on one so once they're done a track day is on the cards for sure.

:D

Soldato
Been out on the GSXR on my own after its little rebuild (finally!)

Rode it ~600 miles mostly below 6k to bed the rings in so got to have a good play up to 10k, its nuts!! Already managed to pop a wheelie with the GF and luggage on the back pulling away, but solo riding is something else, no effort needed just open it up and hang on!

Had a massive grin but its finished off the chain and sprockets so they're next on the list, should be here today!

Front forks need a rebuild too as the chrome has worn through on one so once they're done a track day is on the cards for sure.

:D
Piccy?

Soldato
Just washed it, so much quicker now the hose pipe ban is over, and once the drive is dry I shall change the oil and filter.

Edit: well I would have done the oil and filter if the rain had held off. Never mind, I'm sure the summer sun will turn up eventually :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Over the last couple days I cleaned the battery terminals, fitted the battery after being on a trickle charge, adjusted the clutch cable, made sure all the lights are working and the R/R is sending enough charge to the battery, removed the starter motor and cleaned/greased the bearings, tightened up all panels, new bolts for the oil tank, drained the full tank, lines and carb float, cleaned the filters and refilled with BP Ultimate 97.

MOT booked for 11am on Monday, please keep your fingers crossed it goes through as I haven't got enough. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Just for interest guys, what's a good motorbike battery charger/trickle charger? Also, is there one that does two as we've got two bikes here...? Any recommendations?

optimate's are really good for single bikes, you can leave them plugged in as a trickle charger or they can recondition and bring back near dead batteries. Not sure about one that will do 2 separate ones at the same time though as each battery might need slightly different charging.

Oh I think you need an optimate 4 or 6 to get the dual program that can trickle charge as well

Last edited:
Associate
Today i put my new Fuel Oval Midi (400mm) end can on Betty the Bandit....:D

Old
IMG_20120611_153744.jpg
[/IMG]

New
IMG_20120623_141902.jpg

IMG_20120623_141902.jpg

Sorry if the pics are too big I could not get them to resize on Photobucket. Need to learn how:o

Also had R&G bungs and a Bandit tank pad fitted last Tuesday.

Last edited:
Soldato
What does the new can sound like?

Today I also clean and lubed my chain, as I do most weekends, and this time I used some dry ptfe lube. What a difference it makes. It really seems a lot smoother than the lube I've been using.

Back
Top Bottom