What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
Had a nice 145 mile ride around Essex, a cracking loop from the 'Biker's Britain' book, lots of great roads (plus the miles there and back, so 213 miles in total, 5 hours riding) on the Tuono, god I love this thing :D

Stopped off in Finchingfield for a coffee.

It didn't break down! :o

Welcome to my neck of the woods - there are some cracking roads around Suffolk and the right parts of Essex. Finchingfield is lovely, but there are some other great picture postcard villages around too - check out Lavenham next time you're up around, and give me a shout too. :)

Soldato
It didn't break down! :o

Welcome to my neck of the woods - there are some cracking roads around Suffolk and the right parts of Essex. Finchingfield is lovely, but there are some other great picture postcard villages around too - check out Lavenham next time you're up around, and give me a shout too. :)
:p Nope, it ran like a bloody dream! Seems it was deffo the fuel filter. I really do love this bike, I don't think I topped 80mph (ish) today on the country roads, the torque pulling you out the corner is just awesome.

This was the route I rode, from this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bikers-Britain-Great-Motorbike-Rides/dp/0749577363 which I got for christmas.
quHpHth.png

There's a lot of 90 degree left and rights on that route, allowed me to work on my chicken strips a little!

Getting to the edge on a 190 tyre almost needs the handlebars to be dragging the ground!

Will give you a shout next time I'm up there, tbh I've ridden all the decent Kent roads multiple times and essex is only 40 minutes away for me - Today was a tester to see if the routes in the book are any good, and they are!

Soldato
I had a 200 on a zx12r and was very easy to remove strips but on my zzr1200 with 180 is a little like yours above it's bike dependent really.

Soldato
Yeah TBH my previous bike had a 160 rear which was so easy to get to the edge - I'll get there, just takes a bit more commitment than I'd ready for at the moment! The bike ticked over 14k miles today, bought it with 11500 on the clock and I did 1000 miles before putting it away for winter so that's 1500 miles done already this year on it! :eek:

Soldato
Yeah TBH my previous bike had a 160 rear which was so easy to get to the edge - I'll get there, just takes a bit more commitment than I'd ready for at the moment! The bike ticked over 14k miles today, bought it with 11500 on the clock and I did 1000 miles before putting it away for winter so that's 1500 miles done already this year on it! :eek:

Is that a metzeler same rubber as I run great in the wet and a good all rounder.

Associate
Part of me quite fancies a GS, but it would have to be the Adventure, with it's spoken wheels and ******* huge tank :D The same part of me likes the Safari tanks you can get for the KTM 990 Adventure, they take the capacity to 45 litres :D Just feels like you're doing it in half measures otherwise! :p

Yeah the spoked wheels are a pain to clean but look sooooooo much better, as for the tank size "go big or go home" :D :D :D

Doing a 4 day tour of the D-Day beaches starting Thursday so fill up in Portsmouth after riding from Cornwall and we should be good until we get back to UK on Sunday :)

Soldato
Well as some of you may have seen, i passed my test a week ago today. I picked up a mosterous MT09 on Saturday. I didn't get too much of a ride out as my wife was giving me **** and the kids wanted to go out.

So today, i booked a day off, went for some Brekkie and then home on a tour around my home town of Swansea. Most of you will know the brecon beacons etc .... But some of the most amazing beauty you'll see is down the Gower.

Which is where i spent all day, weaving, bobbing, cornering..... I honestly think it has been (excluding kids/family etc) the best day of my life so far. It feels like my soul has been cleansed haha!

Anyways... Few duplicated, but someone in another thread wanted unfiltered pics that were bigger:

Soldato
Never had an expensive pair of gloves so bought a winter and summer pair. The Rukkas are very comfy.

o_1bfnfoj8611171tuq1kjm1711fv0a.jpg

Soldato
I've been off a bike for about 3 years now and thinking about coming back.
I'll definitely be selling my car and have access to another for rainy days but ultimately I'll be after something for commuting and distant trips.
Undecided what to go for though. Aiming for naked that takes a screen well or sports touring.

Really like the look of the MT-07 and 09 at the moment.

Definitely no Kawasakis though :p Basing that off my ER6n and ER6f experience! Budget is absolute maximum of £6000 and doesn't have to be new.

Any recommendations? Thanks all :)

Soldato
How far is your commute? Through cold weather/winter or will you tak the car/train over winter?

£6k gets a choice of a lot of bikes. If you're gonna be commuting and/or doing lont trips then you might want to look at a faired bike (sport tourer) or an adventure style. Something like a KTM 990 SMT, which is a naked with a proper screen/small fairing.

This one's over budget but gives you an idea http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-SMT-990-/262966506224?hash=item3d3a0672f0:g:vH4AAOSwuspY-kiZ

Problem is with £6k to play with you need to narrow it down more. Naked, adventure style, sportsbike or sport tourer? IL4, IL3, Parrallel twin, V-twin or V4? Long distance comfort or fun a priority? 200 miles to a tank or will 120 do? If you're touring, hard panniers or is soft luggage ok? Reliability or character more important?

:D

Soldato
How far is your commute? Through cold weather/winter or will you tak the car/train over winter?

£6k gets a choice of a lot of bikes. If you're gonna be commuting and/or doing lont trips then you might want to look at a faired bike (sport tourer) or an adventure style. Something like a KTM 990 SMT, which is a naked with a proper screen/small fairing.

This one's over budget but gives you an idea http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-SMT-990-/262966506224?hash=item3d3a0672f0:g:vH4AAOSwuspY-kiZ

Problem is with £6k to play with you need to narrow it down more. Naked, adventure style, sportsbike or sport tourer? IL4, IL3, Parrallel twin, V-twin or V4? Long distance comfort or fun a priority? 200 miles to a tank or will 120 do? If you're touring, hard panniers or is soft luggage ok? Reliability or character more important?

:D

Commute is 24 miles per day (there and back) can either be through the city or around the dual carriageway with early morning filtering.

Cold weather is fine but rain I'd probably avoid if I can.

I'd say absolutely top limit of 6k which opens a lot of doors and very much happy to spend only 4 for example.

I don't really know the difference in characteristics between the engine types tbh, definitely something to look into.

Probably wouldn't bother with panniers but the option would be nice. Being slightly contradictory I don't want anything huuge as I'd definitely like to be able to filter and maintain nimbleness.

As for economy, not fussed, performance and reliability are a must tbh.

Definitely need to narrow it down but don't know where to start, I'll have a proper look tomorrow at work when I'm err working.

And hey @Kreeeee, username was either Archeum back then, went to that weather station place with you and Wazza a few years ago I think just before you moved? Hows life Not in the UK :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been off a bike for about 3 years now and thinking about coming back.
I'll definitely be selling my car and have access to another for rainy days but ultimately I'll be after something for commuting and distant trips.
Undecided what to go for though. Aiming for naked that takes a screen well or sports touring.

Really like the look of the MT-07 and 09 at the moment.

Definitely no Kawasakis though :p Basing that off my ER6n and ER6f experience! Budget is absolute maximum of £6000 and doesn't have to be new.

Any recommendations? Thanks all :)

I've spend the past 3 months waiting to do my test and during that time looking at MT07/MT09 in depth.... You do not need £6000!

I can direct you to 3 MT07's well under £4k

Wolverhampton - £4k 3600 miles 14 plate, full extras
Cambridge - £3600 4400 miles, no exhast
Reading - £3750 15000 miles, very well looked after, absolute brim full of kit.

Do not spend over £4000 on an MT07! Absolutely not worth it, will lose a fortune otherwise!

Back
Top Bottom