What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
Depends on your charger, I'd just leave it all night and should be fine. However if your battery doesn't last 3 weeks I'd go straight for a new one, but I'm not very tolerant to things not starting :D. I've never tried to bump start the SV, if you give that a go I'm curious how it goes, I was never brave enough.

Instead of recovery I'd phone your local halfords and they should have a Yuassa one or know where to get one easily - it will come empty though so will need a day to charge after filling etc...

Not going to be able to do overnight. I’ll give it a couple of goes but I’ve never bump started anything before so I don’t hold much hope :(

To be fair the battery will be close to 5 years old and hasn’t ever given me problems before

Soldato
Yeh sounds like your battery has had it. Don't know if it's a Suzuki thing but I've never known bikes to go through batteries like those.

I'm convinced that Suzuki OEM batteries are trash, at least on middle and low-end models.

@NooBish AbbZ - Get a Motobatt

With regards to sunny weather and scrubbing tyres in, just what I've been doing today (sorry to rub it in :D)

20180118.jpg

Beautiful.

Soldato
I'm convinced that Suzuki OEM batteries are trash, at least on middle and low-end models.

@NooBish AbbZ - Get a Motobatt

Beautiful.

This one is 5 years old to be fair. I'll see what halfrauds have in when i head down later, unless my battery miraculously charges over the next hour or two to enough charge. Is installing a battery as simple as remove seat, remove connections (Remove positive first, right?) swap out battery, reconnect (negative first?) and then start up? Never had to do anything with a battery before.

Remembered I have a PDF of maintenance manual and have noticed i have the connections the wrong way round :p Will take great care when i do it (obviously in the right order)

Soldato
This one is 5 years old to be fair. I'll see what halfrauds have in when i head down later, unless my battery miraculously charges over the next hour or two to enough charge. Is installing a battery as simple as remove seat, remove connections (Remove positive first, right?) swap out battery, reconnect (negative first?) and then start up? Never had to do anything with a battery before

It's dead simple. So long as you're not tempted to lick the connections or anything stupid :p

Soldato
This one is 5 years old to be fair. I'll see what halfrauds have in when i head down later, unless my battery miraculously charges over the next hour or two to enough charge. Is installing a battery as simple as remove seat, remove connections (Remove positive first, right?) swap out battery, reconnect (negative first?) and then start up? Never had to do anything with a battery before.

Remembered I have a PDF of maintenance manual and have noticed i have the connections the wrong way round :p Will take great care when i do it (obviously in the right order)

Negative first when disconnecting, positive first when reconnecting.

Soldato
Battery and set of allen keys reserved from Halfrauds, £60 total. Brilliant. That's a nice, even £500 in the past 2 months or so with a tyre at £120. Piece of ****. It can **** off. :( :( :( :( Doesn't even make the tiniest bit of difference the exact same thing could've happened to absolutely any bike.

Should've bought a new bike :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Soldato
Looking through the service manual, for the battery initial charging it's talking all about electrolyte filling and stuff like that. It's an 'MF' battery... Does all this need to be done on a maintenance-free battery?

I was expecting to pick up a battery, plug it in(+charge) and then start the bike up..

Associate
Looking through the service manual, for the battery initial charging it's talking all about electrolyte filling and stuff like that. It's an 'MF' battery... Does all this need to be done on a maintenance-free battery?

I was expecting to pick up a battery, plug it in(+charge) and then start the bike up..

Yep, pick up and plug in. Halfords ones should come pre-charged too.

Haven't seen a retail refillable battery for a while now.

Soldato
In my never ending quest to get the throttle and mapping right... I've bought an autotuner. I can set AFR targets for each RPM/throttle input and it'll take care of it!
People are saying it works flawlessly so excited to finally be done with trying to get the R1 usable.

Soldato
Nope, halfrauds Yuassa AGM batteries come unfilled and uncharged (ast one I bought was in May '17 or something) - @NooBish AbbZ guessing you have YT12A-BS or something? They say maintenance free because once filled & charged you don't touch/refull it. There's very easy instructions to follow included, but will take a while.

Don't sweat it, seriously a new battery & tyre is nothing and once done it'll be sorted for a while.
Not sure what's in there already but Yuasa YTX12-BS Powersport Motorcycle Battery is what i've ordered. Had a proper read through instructions on service manual and yeah it doesn't seem too difficult. Just a lot of waiting 20 minutes for this, then 20 minutes for that, then charge for 5-10 hours..

Man of Honour
Yep you'll need to fill it that's what the white container in the picture is, the battery acid. Last time I reserved one from Halfords they called me back and said "We've got the battery but no acid packs..." :o

Soldato
Something I hadn’t thought of. I use an Oxford Oximiser 601 to trickle charge and had assumed this can be used to provide initial charge to he battery. It maxes at 600mA while the battery needs either 5-10 hours at 1.2A standard or 1 hour at 5A charge. Do I now need to source a battery charger or would the oximiser do the trick if I charge it for like, 20 hours?

Man of Honour
lol how? The acid pack is in the same box... Anyways Halfrauds also screwed me, battery wasn't there when they said it was (website screwed up) - but kudos to local manager who phoned another branch, got me a discount and reserved it for me without me having to make a fuss so just had an extra 10min drive.
Absolutely no idea!

Just ordered a motobatt online in the end. Out the box in the bike no messing.

Associate
Apologies- I stand corrected. Last battery I bought from them came ready to rock.

Trickle charger will work, you'll just have to wait longer.... Or get it to a cranking voltage then stick it on the bike and go for a long ride.

Might be worth double checking the voltage with the bike running, a dodgy reg/rec will quickly kill a battery.

Soldato
Apologies- I stand corrected. Last battery I bought from them came ready to rock.

Trickle charger will work, you'll just have to wait longer.... Or get it to a cranking voltage then stick it on the bike and go for a long ride.

Might be worth double checking the voltage with the bike running, a dodgy reg/rec will quickly kill a battery.

Don't have any kind of meter to check voltage :( Trickle Charger is set up, about to do the battery. Long ride is in the plans, to hopefully make me enjoy/love the bike again. However the first ride out after new battery will be to get this puncture repaired. Then long ride will occur, hopefully, weather dependant. Today has been glorious weather to scrub a tyre in, as someone has posted :( I'm not mad though. :p

That said the trickle charger does indicate 3v, 11.8v, 12.8v and 14.1v

Back
Top Bottom