What did you do to your bike today?

Man of Honour
My Givi V47 top box arrived today. The weight limit is ridiculously low on it!

It also looks naff but for touring I don't care about looks, I want to be comfortable and I want my stuff to be easy to access and to not get wet.

Soldato

It also looks naff but for touring I don't care about looks, I want to be comfortable and I want my stuff to be easy to access and to not get wet.

10Kgs? Sounds plenty to me.
Though that said I pretty much always overload my Givi V35s, they've been fine for quite some time now.

Soldato
Yeah it makes the bike look ugly but it's practical at the end of the day.

I think 10kg should be enough. Anymore might upset the handling I guess considering how far it overhangs.

Man of Honour
10Kgs? Sounds plenty to me.
Though that said I pretty much always overload my Givi V35s, they've been fine for quite some time now.

In my head a 47 litre capacity will be very easy to overload with a 10Kg limit.

I assume it's a safety thing and I'll be fine even with 15Kg. I can always bungie a waterproof rucksack to it on the passenger seat if I need more luggage and I have the tank bag which has up to 21 litres capacity.

Soldato
I have givi racks on both my bikes 750 & 1200 and use the same box ,has taken me a long time dealing with the looks but no going back as for the weight limit I just load it and use common sense.

On my vfr there is a over hang so I go a little lighter but on the 12 I just fill :D

You are a officially old when you own one but that's ok because I am :)

On handling Even an empty top box will feel different when up to speed the trick is leave it on all the time and adapt.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I will only have it on for 2-3 trips a year. I will use a quick lock tank bag for normal trips and add a ruck sack if I need to add a little more or I'm riding alone on longer trips.

Associate
In my head a 47 litre capacity will be very easy to overload with a 10Kg limit.

I assume it's a safety thing and I'll be fine even with 15Kg. I can always bungie a waterproof rucksack to it on the passenger seat if I need more luggage and I have the tank bag which has up to 21 litres capacity.

I've always happily ignored the weight limits. Most days mine holds 20Kg of Almax, a beefy disclock, toolkit, my laptop bag and often whatever we're having for dinner :) As .one. says use common sense and check the rack mounts every now and then, although I haven't heard of any cracking since the 90s.

They're ugly in a cool sort of way, (or is that cool in an ugly sort of way?) but you can't see it when you're riding!

Transmission breaker
Don
Been adjusting the valves on mine last couple of days. Just been trial and error mainly.
Still can't get the flipping feeler guages to make any sense, even got the official guides from the dealer.
Every time I go out though it gets better!

Caporegime
Been adjusting the valves on mine last couple of days. Just been trial and error mainly.
Still can't get the flipping feeler guages to make any sense, even got the official guides from the dealer.
Every time I go out though it gets better!

The rate at which you're fiddling that little bike's going to have more power than when it left the factory!

Transmission breaker
Don
I can use them on my other bike, adjusted the clearances no issues there... It just seems to be this particular valve adjustment seems to have no bearing on wether it grips the or not! If I pull out the whole adjuster, it still sits on the valve head and holds the feeler...
It certainly affects the running though, hence why I am just using trial and error for now. Did a bit of adjustment a little while ago and it revved to 10k for the first time. Will take it out later and test it again.

What I will say is that the headlight is next to useless! It was pointing way too low, so pulled the whole unit off, cleaned the inside of the glass where I could reach, and fixed the adjuster that was unscrewed inside housing.

Looks a lot better now. Will see later..

I have ordered a set of nightbreakers h4 to replace the hs1 bulbs. Hoping the extra wattage makes a big difference.

Also got a new rear master brake cyclinder. Found a generic type that should fit. I was just not happy with how hard it was to bleed the old one and how little power it had. Will be happier when it is replaced.

Grabbed a new spark plug while I was at it. Will fit them tomorrow. :)

The rate at which you're fiddling that little bike's going to have more power than when it left the factory!

Haha, hope so, just trying to learn the only way I know how, fixing stuff :D

That's why I bought a Chinese bike!

Associate
Put stock exhaust back on the S1000RR and full size num plate, in prep for it’s first MOT next month. Where have 3 years gone :o

Soldato

A top box. What has happened to you man?

:p

But seriously, a top box?!?!1!!? :eek: Next you'll be buying a GS and a set of metal panniers... :D

Soldato
I test rode one a few months ago. Very tempting and an amazing bike. Can see myself getting one when I'm a little older when I've had my fun. :) I'm slowly making the transition, I already have a VFR! lol.

Back
Top Bottom