What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
Had the XR in for a service and a first MOT (where has the time gone?!) yesterday, so took this little gem out for a couple of hours.

plva6na.jpg

vxQULC8.jpg

I still really like the R Nine T, but for the first time I was riding it to see if it ticked a few more boxes:
- could it be as much fun as I had on the CB400 earlier this year, in a back to basics sort of way; and
- could it still, with some compromises, be capable of crunching through some decent miles to tour

So yesterday's two hour session included one of of sitting on dual carriageway at cruising speed, the other enjoying all that Norfolk's finest roads can offer at this time of year (slow bunched up traffic queued up behind farm machinery).

With the benefit of a longer test ride this time around, some of may hopes are clearly flawed. The riding position and lack of wind protection means that this isn't a machine I could use to cover a few hundred miles in a day. Cruising above 70 would be painful, and in Europe the standard is 85. For for normal day to day riding, the bike is really quite nimble once on the move, especially seeing as it is is really a bit heavier than it should be, and the torque is lovely. I think it is oddly a bit much for what I'm looking for though - if they could stick an 800cc engine in there with around 85 - 90 bhp then it would feel a better bike.

I'm going to try the Scrambler version next, as the seating position is a little more upright.

Soldato
C9Dc671AwZRmZE2Ovo4WZ0fbrsb3oPh6SQTy8S3h7aY.jpg
\

I was greasing the rear suspension linkage. Now I'm replacing the rear suspension linkage.

Associate
Had the XR in for a service and a first MOT (where has the time gone?!) yesterday, so took this little gem out for a couple of hours.

I still really like the R Nine T, but for the first time I was riding it to see if it ticked a few more boxes:
- could it be as much fun as I had on the CB400 earlier this year, in a back to basics sort of way; and
- could it still, with some compromises, be capable of crunching through some decent miles to tour

So yesterday's two hour session included one of of sitting on dual carriageway at cruising speed, the other enjoying all that Norfolk's finest roads can offer at this time of year (slow bunched up traffic queued up behind farm machinery).

With the benefit of a longer test ride this time around, some of may hopes are clearly flawed. The riding position and lack of wind protection means that this isn't a machine I could use to cover a few hundred miles in a day. Cruising above 70 would be painful, and in Europe the standard is 85. For for normal day to day riding, the bike is really quite nimble once on the move, especially seeing as it is is really a bit heavier than it should be, and the torque is lovely. I think it is oddly a bit much for what I'm looking for though - if they could stick an 800cc engine in there with around 85 - 90 bhp then it would feel a better bike.

I'm going to try the Scrambler version next, as the seating position is a little more upright.

Yeah I am a boxer fan, but it's a different riding experience. For me the engine character means I'd even class it as a different vehicle. They feel great to ride, but a little tight and breathless when you press on, even feeling something like an engine that's not fully run in. I like them a lot, but I found myself adopting a very relaxed riding style (no bad thing most of the time). Couldn't have a boxer as an only bike though- every ride on a full-fat sportsbike is an event, and I'd miss that.

Soldato
Boxer engines are crazy. I rode a 2017 GS and at the traffic lights if I revved the bike a little you could feel it standing itself up from the slight tilted angle you create when your foot is down. Very weird sensation!

Associate
I still really like the R Nine T

Me too, shame it really is only a sunny weather Sunday bike. I'd still have one.

I love the GS, just wish it was narrower for filtering!

Sitting on a Harley, now you're loving the GS, what's going on?! You can't be having midlife crisis already :p

What have I done today? I've been doing that painful insurance comparison quote thing...eurgh.

Turns out Bennetts are competitive again, got a quote for a multibike policy and it was cheaper than most of the single bike quotes I'd been getting. Must be the BSB sponsorship deal paying dividends!

Soldato
LOL. I think you're supposed to mention sponsored posts ;)
Ha :p I’ll balance it up by saying my 2016 r1200r was a rust bucket and so I got shot and replaced with the m135, much better! I have a 20yr old vfr as the current steed and it’s got less rust than the bm did after 12m!

Back
Top Bottom