What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
I had a cracking weekend, made better by the good weather. Up at 5 am yesterday to ride up to the Lake District, with a detour to a village near Doncaster to clean the headstone of my wife's late aunt and then a scenic route across the Dales before arriving in Windermere. A quick pit stop later (saying hello to parents already up there on holiday) and then riding from lake to lake. I lost count of the passes, but definitely remember Wrynose, Hardknott (certainly not going to forget that one - steepest, bumpiest hairpins I've ever encountered!), Honister and Kirkstone. 12 hours in total in the saddle, stopping for just fuel, water and the occasional photo. Met a mad German biker at the top of Hardknott, conforming to stereotype by riding an ancient GS! The traffic was good - fairly light on the passes for the most part - perhaps everyone was watching the royal wedding. A few runners around, but the biggest irritation were the cyclists, who seem to delight in riding three abreast on roads that are little more than single track in most places.

Certainly a different experience to the main European passes, but not one to be sniffed at when it is on your doorstep (well, four hours and two tanks of fuel away for me!). Took a more direct route back, cutting along the A65 to the A1. The A65 would be nice if it were empty, but farm machinery, caravans did their best to prevent that. 445 miles yesterday, and then 305 back today. I love the XR so much on little trips like this - I think I'm just going to settle and hold on to it for a while longer.

Somewhere in the Yorkshire Dales
AVwugNe.jpg

Waiting for the ferry at Windermere
nNFc71t.jpg

Beginning the descent of Hardknott Pass
4mpgS7M.jpg

Associate
I had a cracking weekend, made better by the good weather. Up at 5 am yesterday to ride up to the Lake District, with a detour to a village near Doncaster to clean the headstone of my wife's late aunt and then a scenic route across the Dales before arriving in Windermere. A quick pit stop later (saying hello to parents already up there on holiday) and then riding from lake to lake. I lost count of the passes, but definitely remember Wrynose, Hardknott (certainly not going to forget that one - steepest, bumpiest hairpins I've ever encountered!), Honister and Kirkstone. 12 hours in total in the saddle, stopping for just fuel, water and the occasional photo. Met a mad German biker at the top of Hardknott, conforming to stereotype by riding an ancient GS! The traffic was good - fairly light on the passes for the most part - perhaps everyone was watching the royal wedding. A few runners around, but the biggest irritation were the cyclists, who seem to delight in riding three abreast on roads that are little more than single track in most places.

Certainly a different experience to the main European passes, but not one to be sniffed at when it is on your doorstep (well, four hours and two tanks of fuel away for me!). Took a more direct route back, cutting along the A65 to the A1. The A65 would be nice if it were empty, but farm machinery, caravans did their best to prevent that. 445 miles yesterday, and then 305 back today. I love the XR so much on little trips like this - I think I'm just going to settle and hold on to it for a while longer.

Wonderful- Post of the day for me. The wife and I have been discussing how we always tour off to Europe and further, yet never explore a single mile outside of London when we're on home soil. This has spurred me to change that, we have so many stunning places right here.

Man of Honour
Wonderful- Post of the day for me. The wife and I have been discussing how we always tour off to Europe and further, yet never explore a single mile outside of London when we're on home soil. This has spurred me to change that, we have so many stunning places right here.

I wish I had explored the country more before I left.

Soldato
If you’re willing to go off road there are even more beautiful places to ride in the lakes!

I spent some time on sat/sun repairing part of the old coach road near Keswick, an amazing lane that’s took a battering by storm Desmond.

Soldato
It's been pretty good weather up here for the last few weeks, Saturday just gone was an absolute peach and Sunday wasn't too shabby either which is quite rare!

Associate

I was guilty of always heading to the continent too and remedied that this year by heading to both Wales and Scotland. Wales was good fun but Scotland was incredible - using Inverness as a base and then heading out on routes towards Isle of Skye, Applecross and John O'Groats. Roads are great and were fairly empty, the scenery is fantastic and we were lucky with the weather - which is always going to be the gamble heading that far north.

I will now think twice before heading straight to the ferry port / Eurotunnel when I plan my next trip.

Edit: Riding through the Cairngorns was also brilliant.

Soldato
Oh, and my poorly radiator had to be repaired - thankfully that was only £55, so I saved in excess of £400 not having to get a new one - so far so good, it's not leaked; hoping it's now an issue I can put to bed.

Still not changed my brake fluid, might do it this weekend - got it booked in for belts too!

Man of Honour
I can safely say giving my tank a coat of wax has not caused me to slip off into oblivion and while I'm no rossi I throw it around enough to have zero chicken strips.

Back
Top Bottom