What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
I'm on Dunlop Sportmaxx's and have been since i bought the SV 5 years ago. Just bought the XJ and it'll need a front soon, and as it's a commuter I'm tempted to go for the PR 4's(Strange one, I know, but i prefer the look of the tread pattern on the 4's) That said, I'll be using it daily now until August, but then not from August to February so maybe only Feb-April 2020 potential wet riding. I'm a little tempted to go with some more focussed-summer tyres rather than all rounders but know all-rounders would be the more sensitive choice.

Just ridden the XJ back from work, the thing is so, so agile!

Associate
Ah cool- I'm on Road 2s on the MT09 (amazing deals to be had). Those 5s look great, but perhaps an extreme switch to slick on the shoulder? Is that noticeable at all in the wet? Michelin know more about designing tyres than I do though!

Man of Honour
Ah cool- I'm on Road 2s on the MT09 (amazing deals to be had). Those 5s look great, but perhaps an extreme switch to slick on the shoulder? Is that noticeable at all in the wet? Michelin know more about designing tyres than I do though!
The shoulder compound is noticeably softer than the centre. Full lean on wet slippery roundabouts can get them to let go, but it’s very sedate and you can feel it start to go with plenty of time to compensate. The selling point is that they grip as well as a new tyre when worn. As the tyre wears, the sipes increase in width.

Soldato
Yea I've been using road 5's for over a year on my SV 650, very good tyre, a noticable improvement on the Bridgestone BT-023's I used to use.

Michelin's idea behind that edge part of the tyre is that most riders won't lean past a certain angle in the wet, so they opted for more dry grip on the edges. Certainly true for me, I hardly lean the bike over at all in the wet (rarely ride in the wet full stop these days) I'm not sure what mileage I have to n my bike 3-4k maybe but the tyres are still in great condition.

Man of Honour
Done an oil and filter change on the SV then tried to replace the mangled crash bung only to find the kit I'd been sent doesn't fit in any way shape or form, the mount bolt is a size too big and the bungs are too big to fit in the frame cut outs.

Ordered them just after my crash at Christmas so way too late to send them back, ordered some new ones but that's the bike off the road until they arrive.

Back
Top Bottom