What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
Stripped it of its track fairings and put the road fairings back on, then rode it to work, first time in 6 months... -_- my neck muscles were not prepared :p

Now to see if my local garage can MOT it today/tomorrow, plate lights stopped working, rear brake is barely working, lets hope he doesn't notice :D

Man of Honour
What's a plate light? I stuck a little red button reflector over the hole for mine which was left after I ripped the rotten wiring and bulb holder out when I took it for its first MOT and it's never been mentioned.

Iirc it's not an MOT issue but a construction and use regs issue so maybe if I really annoy a copper and they spot it it might come back to bite me.

Soldato
What's a plate light? I stuck a little red button reflector over the hole for mine which was left after I ripped the rotten wiring and bulb holder out when I took it for its first MOT and it's never been mentioned.

Iirc it's not an MOT issue but a construction and use regs issue so maybe if I really annoy a copper and they spot it it might come back to bite me.

I think it's a legal requirement to have a bulb illuminating the plate, you'll stand out like a sore thumb in the dark, and I'm sure the Rozzers will take an interest.

Soldato
Yeah it's a requirement, sometimes you get lucky :p, I didn't have one on the MX5 for 2 years then the same garage said I needed one last time.
Same for the GSXR I didn't have one on for a long time then last time he said it needed one, I think it's the earth wire thats probably came loose as I bodged it on last time...
Well it's in for its MOT now so will go see what the deal is in an hour!

Soldato
That'll explain it then, result!

My contribution to "What did you do to your bike today..." I just ran it for 15 minutes or so, in an attempt to get the fans to kick in; so that I can start the '12 minute tune' process. A suggestion from some Triumph forums, following me recently finding a dip in power, if I crack the throttle open around ~4k revs - people suggesting this might be linked to the end can I installed. Sadly, the current ambient temps have meant that the fans won't kick in :p

Will have to wait and see if this sorts the issue, I have seen the TC kick in a few times this morning - though I've not noticed it around the rev range I had this dip in. Hoping the TC is ok, and the sensors haven't taken a knock or anything, during the recent change of tyres. Maybe I'm just being a tad too keen, during these cold commutes in :D

Soldato
Happy with my latest eBay purchase:

47538339242_1378851829_z.jpg

47591326251_0e478c93bb_z.jpg

Much better than the token Triumph screen I put on it, so that will be going on eBay.

Man of Honour
Each to their own but I really hate any screen on the ST. I've never found the need for a screen on naked bikes and I just find that it ruins the front end aesthetics completely.

I see that you have engine covers and bar end sliders, but no crash bungs/chassis sliders. That official engine cover gets eaten very quickly by the road surface and doesn't protect the engine or side fairing/chassis very well on its own FYI.

Soldato
Each to their own but I really hate any screen on the ST. I've never found the need for a screen on naked bikes and I just find that it ruins the front end aesthetics completely.

I see that you have engine covers and bar end sliders, but no crash bungs/chassis sliders. That official engine cover gets eaten very quickly by the road surface and doesn't protect the engine or side fairing/chassis very well on its own FYI.

I see what you're saying, and in some ways I agree - but having this screen has given me a lovely air free zone to stick my head in :D

I'm in two minds whether to go for the Triumph ones - they install just below the "RS" branded sides, or for some of the usual Evotech/R&G ones. I prefer the look of the Trumpet ones, but they might not be as protective in an off; mind you, the other style cause my R1 to flip and smash itself to bits :(

Man of Honour
I see what you're saying, and in some ways I agree - but having this screen has given me a lovely air free zone to stick my head in :D

I'm in two minds whether to go for the Triumph ones - they install just below the "RS" branded sides, or for some of the usual Evotech/R&G ones. I prefer the look of the Trumpet ones, but they might not be as protective in an off; mind you, the other style cause my R1 to flip and smash itself to bits :(
I always go for the bungs as any crash that would cause the bike to flip with them (the bike going off the road) will cause a lot of damage either way, but at least they protect from low speed drops and slides.

I can confirm (2 times) that the bungs work well for slides on the road/on gravel :p

Soldato
looked into potentially fitting the heated grips myself..
icon_eek.gif

Question. I currently have a trickle charger connected to the battery, with the two cables that attach under the screws that go into the battery terminals. If i were to add heated grips they have the same connection cables, and then for example a quickshifter unit in the future, also with the same flat metal ring which you screw to the terminals.

Do each of these sets of connectors need some kind of separation between them, or are they all fine as it's just a case of electricity running through them in order to create a circuit. If i had 2/3 lots directly seated together would that pose any issues, ie shorting out?

Back
Top Bottom