• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do gamers actually think about Ray-Tracing?

Got the spec in my sig and haven't tried anything with RT yet. Not sure I ever will. I really don't think I am missing out on much.
And no doubt someone is going to come along and say "What a waste" :p

Ha. I have a Ferrari, but I'm only interested in driving it 30mph and I don't care how flashy it looks.

Maybe I should have just a hybrid, I have no need for such fancies, except I needed a Ferrari for some reason, but not the reasons stated.

Last edited:
But it is where things are heading,they aren't moving to UE to get away from PT, UE just does things much better than the now ancient RED engine which they've been tacking tech onto for years and it can't take any more. UE is just better full stop in terms of rendering, and PT will be a part of that once CDPR are done with it. Even Epic themselves have said in dev streams how they envision hardware RT/PT before with how UE5 is advancing.

UE5 for gaming is based on Lumen - software or hardware one that's irrelevant. PT in it exist but is aimed at filmmakers (which also use UE5 in large numbers nowadays), not for gaming. It's too slow and it's really not necessary in games. Time for it will come in gaming too, in relatively distant future, though - that will be UE6 or 7 or maybe even completely different tech instead of PT (based on AI likely). As things are now, RT is not the buzz word anymore, it's AI now, especially from Nvidia's mouth.

GPUs will also be at least 2 generations more powerful when that time comes too so this is inevitable. UE5 can do things on a massive scale that REDengine cannot, or any other engine for that matter, and it only seems to be getting better with each point version update.

Considering that so far leaks about 5k series performance seem rather bleak, with barely any improvements comparing to 4k series, 2 generations might change way too little with RT performance to make any big dent in it. Again, the current buzz is about AI and not RT anymore - I expect some RTX AI thing more than anything else to be promoted with coming generation(s).

Well I am a human :p

If I want realism I can just go outside. I hear it runs RTX 9090's and it is free to use :D

Trouble with reshade is it messes up other things. Only ever used it in a couple of games because of that and that was maybe a decade ago. I remember using it on Dishonoured last.

There is a big difference between reshade and what I am saying. But feel free to play SDR for realism :cry:
I'll take HDR any day and I do like my things contrasty too - which is why HDR on OLED for me is often a better quality improvement than PT and the likes in many games. I really don't like overdose done by reshade though. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
You specifically wrote it runs better with PT. It doesn't. That's very misleading and that is my point.

That aside, PT is CP had a lot of issues in movement (not on screenshot), which gladly introduction of RR helped with a lot though it's not perfect - things like very visible delays in GI when lights changed colours, very fuzzy and rather wrong looking reflections (not enough rays!) etc. All caused because current hardware is still too slow for proper PT. Which is why I tend to repeat myself that Lumen will be most likely (everything points to that) the tech we will see in games, in coming years, not PT.
CB has some issues in movement with regular raster as well. There are moments when "ghostly shadows" can appear in certain circumstances. On top, the eye adaptation and vignetting adds fuel to the fire.

Reflections fall into certain categories: some react faster, others slower. Shadows, I believe, show the same behavior. For reflections, usually a simplified scene is rendered. I'm not sure how much is due to lack of care from CDPR and how much from performance reasons as @mrk mods have shown to be able to add extra reflections from modded vehicles with no penalty in performance.
Light response also behaves similarly. On a car, the "extra on top" light, even in raster, has a "slow on" action and it feels... cinematic, I guess? I've encountered a sort of street light that was flickering on and off which looked as good as it can.

Basically, some of the flaws in PT could very well be due to implementation. Raster has issues as well which could have been done better, regular RT included. No method is implemented fully.

One more thing to keep in mind is that a city such as Night City is probably the most demanding scenario. Fallout, for instance, should fair a lot better as you can get significantly better performance outside of the main city.

With that said, I guess is a question of preferences: light bleed, lack of shadows and possible depth vs. possible ghosting here and there and perhaps slower than instant light response in all the way possible.

PS: I know which one I'd like from the below. Curious how others would chose to play.

I knew of the M1 and some of those already, as an old M car owner it's a right of passage :o

We'll never see engines like these again sadly.
Yeah, sadly...

E60 M5 V10, 2004 to 2010.

Knocking on for 210 MPH there.

Last edited:
One thing that is quite amusing about Cyberpunk is that at night, metals become mirror finished, or when it rains:

Day:
TWCUjNr.jpeg

Night:
Ud5mUcY.jpeg

Either way, path tracing with RR and RSGI is quite stunning whatever the weather.

ztWuNdG.jpeg

f5fSgLR.jpeg

And the fact that we can play these in realtime in a fully open world with a dynamic weather system and all the interactive props and stuff strewn around is mind blowing vs linear static set-piece games that you can's even break a box in. Imagine what this will be like in UE5.4+ with all the RT/PT tech fully implemented soon enough.

From just a quick glance, both look good tbf but think I "prefer" number 2 (right side one?)

As I've said before, people usually always say something like "no one cares about side by side screenshots" but for me it's most noticeable or rather impactful to the experience when in game and moving around and seeing your env. and how the light is bouncing around, screenshots don't show things like reflections disappearing as you move your camera angle, shadows from your car headlights producing soft, hard, diffused shadows against objects, when you go into poorly lit rooms and so on.

From just a quick glance, both look good tbf but think I "prefer" number 2 (right side one?)

As I've said before, people usually always say something like "no one cares about side by side screenshots" but for me it's most noticeable or rather impactful to the experience when in game and moving around and seeing your env. and how the light is bouncing around, screenshots don't show things like reflections disappearing as you move your camera angle, shadows from your car headlights producing soft, hard, diffused shadows against objects, when you go into poorly lit rooms and so on.

Surprised. Thought you would go left :cry:

Now @mrk get in there and give us your opinion! ;)

Back
Top Bottom