What do people think to the new MBP?

Soldato
Still loving mine, was a fairly steep learning curve being my first mac but I hardly ever use my desktop PC for anything else other than gaming.

Kind of wish I had gone for a slightly higher powered version but never mind.

Out of interest I've seen that you can install W10 through Boot Camp. Genuine question, what benefit does having W10 on a mac give you?

Caporegime
JamesM;30482050 said:
Out of interest I've seen that you can install W10 through Boot Camp. Genuine question, what benefit does having W10 on a mac give you?

To do something you specifically can only do on Windows that isn't possible on a Mac. You can then do it.

Although apart from playing specific games, I struggle to think of anything specific!

Soldato
Well I finally gave in and have bought one of the base model 13" units (non-touchbar), really to replace my travel buddy 2016 Macbook. I was finding the Macbook a bit too sluggish in anything but the simpler of apps. So far, that doesn't seem to be an issue with this 13" unit?

Dunno, will see how I get on. I tell you what - it does make you realise how small & light the actual Macbook is! If only it were just a bit more powerful.

Soldato
Has anyone tried light gaming on the new MBPs? I'm moving soon and deciding whether to sell my desktop + 2013 MacBook Pro for a 2016 MacBook Pro. All I really play these days is TF2 and stuff like Borderlands.

A lot of reviews say heat is an issue and theres a lot of thermal throttling?

Associate
I've used the 15" for windows bootcamp gaming (the AMD Pro 455 & 460).
Haven't played your games but played Shadow of Mordor & GTA V -- they both ran well at 1080p with medium settings on GTA.
I really haven't noticed any throttling & the area above the TouchPad gets warm but not hot.
Maybe other games cause those issues but I haven't experienced them.

Is it possible to charge the new MBP using a USB powerbank?
The 15" MacBook Pro might be a problem as it uses a 87W charger instead of the 13"'s 65W.
So if you using the 15" whilst charging with the Power Bank it'd probably still need to use the internal battery.
I haven't seen any 87W+ USB C chargers apart from Apple's

Installed Office 365 on my 15" TBMBP, the Touch Bar doesn't seem to be working with it?
It does work with Office 2016 following an update this month

Permabanned
Gave the 15" MBPTB speakers a good test today and like others have said they are astounding. Obviously bass will always suffer but anything with vocals is incredible. Great work from Apple.

Even at max volume that filled the room I heard no distortion.

Soldato
Man of Honour
Well I finally gave in and have bought one of the base model 13" units (non-touchbar), really to replace my travel buddy 2016 Macbook. I was finding the Macbook a bit too sluggish in anything but the simpler of apps. So far, that doesn't seem to be an issue with this 13" unit?

Dunno, will see how I get on. I tell you what - it does make you realise how small & light the actual Macbook is! If only it were just a bit more powerful.
I have the MacBook and I find it quite slow at anything other than browsing the internet so I've been thinking about replacing it.

Permabanned
Is there a way of selecting the 450 graphics to run when on power? In the energy saving tab you can only turn off the graphics switching for power and battery.

Caporegime
Got work to buy me one of the non touchbar versions, compared to my personal 2014 the form is beautiful, can't believe it's so slim.

Saying that I can't say i'm overly happy with the keyboard, doesn't feel as nice to use.

Everything else is standard Apple, beautiful build quality, awesome screen, massive touch pad. It's good.

Soldato
I have the MacBook and I find it quite slow at anything other than browsing the internet so I've been thinking about replacing it.

Yeah - they're in a different world performance wise. Sat here working away actually on JUST the 13" rMBP non-touchbar. Has Windows 10 running in Parallels, and a load of RDP sessions up on the big screen. No way could my small Macbook cope with that.

My impression of the machine is highly positive. Keyboard is a bit noisy - only thing I can really think of.

Back
Top Bottom