What do today's kids / teens make of Blur and Oasis?

Manufactured split and reunion.

They were a great band for sure but this is just them making bank on something that was probably discussed a long time ago.

They did arenas in USA didn't they? Thats not bad going.

also.

Morning Glory was largely successful in the United States as well, peaking at No. 4 on the Billboard 200 and was certified 4× Platinum.

Sure that is good for a British indie band, but not comparable. At an age where people don't buy albums anymore as well, they stream them. Oasis is of an era where you pretty much have to buy the album.

Last edited:
I'm 38 and this is same for me.
Absolutely love 80s stuff and listen to it a lot.

Blur and oasis? Not for me. Never has been. Just sounds too dreary

Went to an 80s silent disco. Few months ago and it was amazing.

80s for me every time!

Theres even a whole new genre of 80s inspired modern music, modern electronic I'd call it.

The 90's was drum and bass not Blur and Oasis, couldn't stand them at the time.

E: Of that ilk only the Stone Roses count for me but putting them in the same category is a bit of an insult to them.

E: E: Of course the 90's were also Nirvana/Foo Fighters/Prodigy...

E: E: Oh and of course deep dish house music for those post club 2-7am chill down hours :)

E: E: E: Blur and Oasis were a byline, there was such a variety of good music out there. :p

No offense but the vast majority of drum and bass and it's offshoots I detest. It's extremely niche IMO.

I accept it's a genre and culture and art form in its own right. But just no...

In 20 or so years there's going to be a thread on OCUK saying "what will todays kids think of Taylor Swift and Beyonce" or whoever else.

We can all suffer from rose tinted ears.

I wasn't comparing them to Taylor Swift. I was quoting someone that said they aren't big in the USA.

They had top 40 hits. But it's all pales in comparison to the modern artists and the reach of the internet. Or even if their own era. Bands like the Beatles, Hendrix or Led Zeppelin are disproportionate not represented in these lists due to the limited distribution at their peak, or copyright limitations today.

I'll add none of these comparisons are fair or accurate. They are indicative only. My favourite band might be local pub band who never released an album. You like what you like.

Last edited:
My kids sends me on stuff. Also Instagram and less so youtube.

Another example

Purple disco machine has done some great stuff if you like the disco throwback mixed up with house.

Just one example

Yeah these are quite close. And much more "my preference" than a lot Of other stuff. It's not ideal, but it's close.

I will see if I can get Spotify to start suggesting this new "80s"esque style music. Just need the fashion to come back too!

I couldn't stand Oasis or Blur when I was growing up. My kids don't like them now either. Different taste in music, that's all :)

Oasis never properly cracked america. Their peak in terms of popularity over there was following Wonderwalls release when they performed Champagne Supernova at the MTV music awards in NY and from memory Liam spat at the crowd and they were booed off. That damaged them bigly in terms of reputation within the US music industry.

They could sell out some arenas stateside but were not a stadium band hence why they were the support act for U2 on their US stadium tour following Morning Glory’s release.

Massive in the UK and Europe, pretty big in Asia but never blew up huge in the US. Bizarrely Coldplay reached a level of success in the States Oasis never once came close to.

Last edited:
Oasis never properly cracked america. Their peak in terms of popularity over there was following Wonderwalls release when they performed Champagne Supernova at the MTV music awards in NY and from memory Liam spat at the crowd and they were booed off. That damaged them bigly in terms of reputation within the US music industry.

They could sell out some arenas stateside but were not a stadium band hence why they were the support act for U2 on their US stadium tour following Morning Glory’s release.

Massive in the UK and Europe, pretty big in Asia but never blew up huge in the US. Bizarrely Coldplay reached a level of success in the States Oasis never once came close to.

Does that really matter though? If you said to them when they started out that they would be playing arenas in the USA they would have snapped your arm off.

Does that really matter though? If you said to them when they started out that they would be playing arenas in the USA they would have snapped your arm off.

Im sure you remember what Oasis were like right ? Constantly telling everyone they were the biggest and best band in the world. Them not making it huge in the US like their idols undoubtedly annoyed them at the time. Im sure they couldn't care one bit nowadays but they had a real resentment towards the US market after the MTV awards incident which resulted in them getting shunned in the states by chat shows and all sorts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom