What do you class as a performance car?

Man of Honour
The_Dark_Side said:
really?
what are the figures for both cars?
i was under the impression even the older model S4 was quicker than a 330i and that the new model faster again.
:eek:

From this months Evo... (They actually test most of their times rather than just believe the manufacturer):

Audi S4 01-05: 0-60 5.4 seconds 344bhp 4.2V8

BMW 330i Sport 01-05: 0-60 5.9 seconds 231bhp 3.0 S6

Seems you are right - although in my defence I was thinking of the old shape Audi S4, the 2.7TT. Mind you this is older than the 330i Sport so not strictly a fair comparison.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
From this months Evo... (They actually test most of their times rather than just believe the manufacturer):

Audi S4 01-05: 0-60 5.4 seconds 344bhp 4.2V8

BMW 330i Sport 01-05: 0-60 5.9 seconds 231bhp 3.0 S6

Seems you are right - although in my defence I was thinking of the old shape Audi S4, the 2.7TT. Mind you this is older than the 330i Sport so not strictly a fair comparison.
don't you think the 0-60 figures make the gap look smaller than it is in the real world?
do you have the 0-100 times? or midrange in gear acceleration times?

Man of Honour
Firestar_3x said:
Not so sure about that, my mx is sub 8 seconds but its not a performance car, its without doubt a sports car, in 'what car' it keeps winning this group test in every year.

The 1.8is apparently hits 60 in 7.7.

I think mine now does it a little bit quicker ;) I wonder how fast it does do it now? Definitely under 7 I would think.

I think a performance car for me has to have a high bhp/tonne value - in excess of 200 really.

Sports cars != performance cars necessarily, however performance sports cars are were it's at ;)

I think mine is heading towards being a more performance oriented sports car, but I would still class it as a sports car by a long shot.

The old Lotus carlton was the epitome of a performance car.
Tuned Jap cars and other big engine german beasts are most certainly performance cars.

Soldato
Freefaller said:
I think mine now does it a little bit quicker ;) I wonder how fast it does do it now? Definitely under 7 I would think.

dude, you've blown that much turboing your car - you could at LEAST get a g-meter ;)

Man of Honour
Hate said:
dude, you've blown that much turboing your car - you could at LEAST get a g-meter ;)

I've got one somewhere I think, just don't have any places to drive quickly - I live in London :(

I actually have no idea how to use it! :o I might read the manual and try it when I get back on my way home from the airport....

Soldato
im sure you can buy a new magic tree and take it somewhere miles away to "test" it right?

(i've tested new airfreshners on my car quite a bit)

Man of Honour
The_Dark_Side said:
don't you think the 0-60 figures make the gap look smaller than it is in the real world?
do you have the 0-100 times? or midrange in gear acceleration times?

Well don't forget the S4's 0-60 time has an advantage in that it's 4WD so gets off the line quicker - this is the only reason the Impreza Sport, for example, doesnt have a 0-60 time of 4 weeks.

The 330i is listed as 0-100 in 17.0 seconds. No time for the S4 though.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Well don't forget the S4's 0-60 time has an advantage in that it's 4WD so gets off the line quicker - this is the only reason the Impreza Sport, for example, doesnt have a 0-60 time of 4 weeks.

While true, IIRC the previous generation S4 (2.7TT) also had a 10% power advantage over the 330i. (265bhp Vs 241bhp(?))

I'd expect the S4 to be quicker to 100 than the 330i.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Freefaller said:
I've got one somewhere I think, just don't have any places to drive quickly - I live in London

Didn't realise you were in the same area as me.
I'm over in Docklands, you?
Fancy meeting up sometime to make me green? I'd love to see what a turbo is like.

Man of Honour
Mr_Sukebe said:
Didn't realise you were in the same area as me.
I'm over in Docklands, you?
Fancy meeting up sometime to make me green? I'd love to see what a turbo is like.

I live in Dulwich. So not too far. You free this weekend? ;)

I'll drop you an email.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:

The 330i is listed as 0-100 in 17.0 seconds. No time for the S4 though.
true but i'd also be amazed if both generations of S4 weren't carrying a noticeable weight penalty over the BMW.extra diff's and driveshafts are all heavy extras to bear.
the old S4, being forced induction, i'd expect to be noticeably quicker midrange than the 330i and the new V8 model torquier (sp?) for similar configuration reasons.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom