What do you do when a Council Officer walks up to you?

Leaving aside the actual offence, does a litter warden have powers to enforce on private property ? Understand that drains might be considered public, but what if he dropped it in another section of private property.
googling I found a city page saying it doesn't matter if it's private or not.
but if its your own property I guess you can do what you want.

googling I found a city page saying it doesn't matter if it's private or not.
but if its your own property I guess you can do what you want.
Drains only as far as the property boundary once it flushes beyond that its in the public space. Detecting which property it came from is another matter. Probably applies to litter blowing out of your property on the wind too

Last edited:
Not the first time,

jFeP6JC.gif

Not the first time, but yesterday i was caught by an officer trying to issue me a FPN ticket for littering. (i dropped a cigarette into an outside drain)

Now i did the 'good samaritan' by paying, but not without some cheekiness mixed in.. by providing an incorrect name, dob and address.. and well it was silly since technically i was on private property.

How common would it be for them trying to track you down if you didn't pay? Reason i mainly paid was because a gave my address but a different door number. (caught me off guard and didn't want to appear flustered). but since it was close to where i live, i didn't want to risk it.. i'll have to remind myself to store a random address in my head for next time.

I've heard they are unable to chase you if you walk into a shop or a large building but not sure.

Shame on you for causing 0.000002 GBP of improvement to your area. ;)

But really don't be a dirty *******.

The problem I have with these "litter cops" is that most councils outsource to a private firm who's only goal is to profit.

This leads to predatory practices and false accusations by their staff in order to stick a 'fine' to someone.

I've personally stepped in and made it my business after I saw a pair of these scumbags corner an OAP in Barnsley a few years ago. They'd literally boxed her in to a corner and accused her of dropping cigarette butt. She was pleading to be left alone and stating she didn't smoke and they wouldn't take no for an answer. I couldn't just ignore it.
They threatened to call police if I didn't walk away and stop interfering so I called them.

Police sided with the OAP & told the enforcement that they need to leave the town for the rest of the day

One of the worst ones is Kingdom Enforcement. They even made the papers a few years ago after being exposed by whistle-blowers.

that time was even more ridiculous in my opinion.. again i dropped it in a drain but the drain was on my property (i was smoking at the front of my house), and the drain is literally on my driveway where my car parks... and fyi my house is in a gated residence, kinda like a cul-de-sac.. not like a house on the main road

Last edited:
The problem I have with these "litter cops" is that most councils outsource to a private firm who's only goal is to profit.

This leads to predatory practices and false accusations by their staff in order to stick a 'fine' to someone.

I've personally stepped in and made it my business after I saw a pair of these scumbags corner an OAP in Barnsley a few years ago. They'd literally boxed her in to a corner and accused her of dropping cigarette butt. She was pleading to be left alone and stating she didn't smoke and they wouldn't take no for an answer. I couldn't just ignore it.
They threatened to call police if I didn't walk away and stop interfering so I called them.

Police sided with the OAP & told the enforcement that they need to leave the town for the rest of the day

One of the worst ones is Kingdom Enforcement. They even made the papers a few years ago after being exposed by whistle-blowers.

OP: *starts a thread to admit his mistake.
Resident: *chimes in to blame the people that the OP was admitting his mistake to.

Brilliant.

that time was even more ridiculous in my opinion.. again i dropped it in a drain but the drain was on my property (i was smoking at the front of my house), and the drain is literally on my driveway where my car parks... and fyi my house is in a gated residence, kinda like a cul-de-sac.. not like a house on the main road

I can see you edited your post but you didn't edit it to say you didn't understand the difference between something being on your property and being your property. Or to put it another way: are you liable when 'your' drains don't work?

I can see you edited your post but you didn't edit it to say you didn't understand the difference between something being on your property and being your property. Or to put it another way: are you liable when 'your' drains don't work?
No i edited to give more context of where i was on my property as i'm sure where you do your business depends where it happened.. for instance, i've heard of people who drop their food waste down their garden drain (oil for example), which is frowned upon, but if its on their proprety, they will be the ones responsible if something goes wrong - clogging

When I was living in a gated community, we paid extra for the sewage works.. to have the them cleared out etc. as they wasn't part of the public sewage system.

Thou I didn't go round filling the drains up... :)

How did the officer get in, in the first place? I would have half a mind to call the cops/security guards on them.. lol..
But use the the ashtrays that most gated communities provide.

When I was living in a gated community, we paid extra for the sewage works.. to have the them cleared out etc. as they wasn't part of the public sewage system.

Thou I didn't go round filling the drains up... :)

How did the officer get in, in the first place? I would have half a mind to call the cops/security guards on them.. lol..
But use the the ashtrays that most gated communities provide.
He didn't get in.. he called me behind/outside the gate and fined me there.. it was my first time and didn't know what to do.

Unforunately this gated residence didn't have these ashtrays or bins.. most of the neighbours who smoked, stubbed them out then put in their drains

Last edited:
He didn't get in.. he called me behind/outside the gate and fined me there.. it was my first time and didn't know what to do.

Unforunately this gated residence didn't have these ashtrays or bins.. most of the neighbours who smoked, stubbed them out then put in their drains

I would talk to the CAB to see if you have a case, but the only way to appeal is not to pay the fine and risk going to court.

There are portable ashtrays available.. :) I used to smoke outside the appartment and use the ashtrays but after a few weeks of the northern weather, I just smoked inside. Yes it's against the t&c of renting the place, I was never a heavy smoker and non of the landlords/estate agents fine or moaned about the smell of smoke.

I would talk to the CAB to see if you have a case, but the only way to appeal is not to pay the fine and risk going to court.

There are portable ashtrays available.. :) I used to smoke outside the appartment and use the ashtrays but after a few weeks of the northern weather, I just smoked inside. Yes it's against the t&c of renting the place, I was never a heavy smoker and non of the landlords/estate agents fine or moaned about the smell of smoke.
this one happened a couple years back, so too late now.. and too much hassle, so will leave it

Back
Top Bottom